A week to go until our trip with our 13 month old twin….

Garyjames220

DIS Veteran
We leave a week today and we are coming from the uk. Got 15 nights at Caribbean beach and 2 nights at the Polynesian. We are going with our 13 month old twin girls to Disney, sea world and discovery cove. Starting to feel a bit nervous but hopefully be ok as we got lots of time and a baby sitter booked for 4 nights For a wee break. We are also meeting friends out there a few days which will allow us to go on rides ourself too etc

however I am Worrying about few things.

- the heat looks so hot, it says one day it’s 34c and will feel like 37c how can you even walk in that? How bad is it in the afternoon is it even manageable in that heat?

- our girls are normally great at sleeping in the stroller and did plan a few days on arriving at about 10-30am until the fireworks are over, is that to much?

- we have the seats and treets desert party booked but noticed you can take a stroller In, do you think we should cancel or do you have any tips in what’s best if the girls are tired and don’t have there stroller

any other tips would be great

Heat - chilly pads that you keep in ice water and drinking cold drinks or eating popsicles help me stay cool. They sell stroller fans. Stay hydrated. If it’s really hot consider rope dropping, taking a midday break, and staying later. MK stays open after the fireworks and is much less crowded then.

Length of time in parks - every kid is different and a lot will depend on how you all do in the heat. Play it by ear.

Fireworks Party - I’m not sure which package that is or at which park. If it’s at EP I vote to cancel it. You can find a place to watch fireworks all around the world showcase at EP. We sat on a wall by the bathrooms in Norway and were very happy. If it’s the desert party at MK and it’s garden viewing they just make you park the stroller at the back of the seating area so you could also sit back there by the stroller if the girls were actually asleep. Otherwise they can play on the fake grass. If it’s seating viewing then yes you’ll have the hold the children. Are you bringing baby carriers so you can baby wear? Baby wearing really helps with sleepy kids in Disney when you have to go somewhere without the stroller, and it’s great for waiting in line.

Heat - chilly pads that you keep in ice water and drinking cold drinks or eating popsicles help me stay cool. They sell stroller fans. Stay hydrated. If it’s really hot consider rope dropping, taking a midday break, and staying later. MK stays open after the fireworks and is much less crowded then.

Length of time in parks - every kid is different and a lot will depend on how you all do in the heat. Play it by ear.

Fireworks Party - I’m not sure which package that is or at which park. If it’s at EP I vote to cancel it. You can find a place to watch fireworks all around the world showcase at EP. We sat on a wall by the bathrooms in Norway and were very happy. If it’s the desert party at MK and it’s garden viewing they just make you park the stroller at the back of the seating area so you could also sit back there by the stroller if the girls were actually asleep. Otherwise they can play on the fake grass. If it’s seating viewing then yes you’ll have the hold the children. Are you bringing baby carriers so you can baby wear? Baby wearing really helps with sleepy kids in Disney when you have to go somewhere without the stroller, and it’s great for waiting in line.
Hi
yes it’s the seating viewing area at MK. We bought some decent carriers just in case.

We leave a week today and we are coming from the uk. Got 15 nights at Caribbean beach and 2 nights at the Polynesian. We are going with our 13 month old twin girls to Disney, sea world and discovery cove. Starting to feel a bit nervous but hopefully be ok as we got lots of time and a baby sitter booked for 4 nights For a wee break. We are also meeting friends out there a few days which will allow us to go on rides ourself too etc

however I am Worrying about few things.

- the heat looks so hot, it says one day it’s 34c and will feel like 37c how can you even walk in that? How bad is it in the afternoon is it even manageable in that heat?

- our girls are normally great at sleeping in the stroller and did plan a few days on arriving at about 10-30am until the fireworks are over, is that to much?

- we have the seats and treets desert party booked but noticed you can take a stroller In, do you think we should cancel or do you have any tips in what’s best if the girls are tired and don’t have there stroller

any other tips would be great
Sounds like an amazing trip you have planned!

As far as the heat, take midday breaks, pool time, nap, etc. Yes the heat is manageable but if you're coming from a cooler climate which I presume UK is, take it easy and drink a lot of water. Watch indoors shows, eat indoors, book your ADRs for lunch/midday so you have a guaranteed indoor seat to eat, try to avoid being stuck in a sunny line during the hours of 3pm-6pm as this is the hottest time of the day. Start your days early if possible to get in a lot before the heat kicks in. We use portable misting fans, make sure you have fans for the stroller to clip on, light colored hats, umbrella, wear light colors/breathable clothes (not denim, heavy cottons) wear moisture wicking clothing like tech shirts/shorts, cooling towels, drink lots of water and don't forget your sunscreen and sunglasses and that includes your kids. You can also use a portable AC for the stroller, it's basically a large yeti cup that holds ice and circulates the cooled air via a tube onto your kids, it's awesome but takes up a cup holder in the stroller. Check them out on amazon.

As far as your kids ages, even arriving mid AM and going till fireworks may be a lot in the heat. It would be a lot to ask of my family and my kids are teens. You can try that approach but keep an eye on them and you and see how you fare. We don't do many mid-AM arrivals during our warmer weather trips since the early AM is much cooler but to give you an idea, we were at the parks last week, temps in low 80s, cool mornings that needed a hoodie and we took midday breaks. If it's going to be in the 90s, take advantage of a few early days and if you do go later, maybe make sure you have a midday ADR planned to take your break.

Not sure about the dessert party, we've only done the one after the fireworks and kids were not in strollers, guess that they don't want them taking up space in the viewing area. Sadly if everyone sat down, you wouldn't need to worry since they could lie on your lap and have a great view from the area, but everyone stands, hate that. Without the stroller you'd be stuck holding them the whole show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter