A "Work" Trip Dining Review

David G Farr

I didn't mean to put my real name as my handle
Hello all, I'm going to try this whole dining review thing. I was recently at WDW for a work conference that was held at the Coronado. Since work was paying for the flight and the room, I decided to bring my beautiful girlfriend along with me and I rented DVC points and stayed at the Beach Club. We've been dating for almost a year and have 3 kids between us and didn't feel bad at all about leaving them all at home. We live on the Alabama-Georgia border which is only a 6-7 hour drive, but as I said, it's a work trip so we decided to fly out of Atlanta which is only an hour long flight. We were in town from September 17-23, but my conference didn't start till the 20th, so we had a few days of pure park time.

A little about me. I'm David (as you can tell by my handle. I've tried to change it but to no avail.) I'm 37 and, until 2 years ago when I brought my son to WDW for his 5th birthday, hadn't been to WDW since I was 12. On that trip 2 years ago I fell in love with all things Disney and my son and I had the best trip ever. I'm a nurse practitioner in Alabama and usually turn a work conference trip into a vacation once a year. Last year it was San Diego.

My girlfriend is a labor and delivery nurse about 25 miles from where I live. She hadn't been to WDW in about 6-7 years. She said that magic bands were just coming out the last time she went, but they weren't nearly as functional as they are now. She has 2 kids ages 13 and 7. Her son and my son are a year apart and already pretend they are stepbrothers.

An uneventful flight brought us to this picture, which was taken in line waiting for the Magical Express. We arrived around 11am, hopped on the bus, and surprisingly got a notification shortly thereafter that our room was ready. I wasn't expecting that to close to 4pm, but I was pleasantly surprised. We made it to our room and explored a little bit. This was both of our first stays at BCV and we were very impressed. Other than some scratches on the coffee table everything was perfect.
We didn't eat a real breakfast prior to our flight, just some Special K breakfast bars, so both of us were ready for some food. We planned on going to Typhoon Lagoon (my conference ticket comes with a waterpark admission) upon arrival since it was supposed to be the hottest day and we didn't expect to be in our room or to have our luggage, but we decided to eat at the resort before catching the bus to the water park. We went to Hurricane Hanna's by Stormalong Bay to grab a quick bite to eat. We were both starving and we both love a good burger, so we ordered the two burgers on the menu. I had the shipwreck angus bacon cheeseburger and she had Hanna's bacon cheeseburger.
441534 441537 441541
We also had some beers because #vacation. The burgers were good. Nothing earth shattering. To us the best part of the meal were the fries. They were like a mix between Chic-fil-a waffle fries and Arby's curly fries. I forget what sort of draft beer I had, but it was something local, and she had a bud light with a lime in it. After lunch we headed to Typhoon Lagoon for a few hours, then back to the resort where we found our luggage had made it to the room, so we showered and changed into clothes for Epcot that evening.

Great start to a trip and review! Those fries sound intriguing...and delicious. Never feel guilty leaving the kids home...it was work after all.....😉

Great start to a trip and review! Those fries sound intriguing...and delicious. Never feel guilty leaving the kids home...it was work after all.....😉
I was pleasantly surprised by the fries. My gf loved them!

Following along. Looking forward to reading more. I love BC/YC - hope you enjoyed the BCV . Good start .

Alright, so after cooling off at the hotel and showering, we headed to Epcot for F&W Festival. I had experience F&W 2 years ago when I brought my son, but spent very little time actually in Epcot so this was wwwaaaayyyyyy more relaxing and enjoyable. We took the boat over from BCV (I didn't realize how short of a walk it was or else would have just walked) and came in through the international gate and took a right hand turn into France. We weren't terribly hungry from the huge burgers earlier in the day, but Meagan spotted something to drink at Les Vins des Chefs de France that caught her eye. I'm pretty sure it was the orange slush. It was $10.75 and she really enjoyed it.
IMG_0018.JPG
Grand Marnier, Rum and Grey Goose Orange and Orange Juice
We meandered around France for a while. Her 13 year old daughter is in love with Paris and we looked around for a souvenir for her but ended up not buying anything. The next pavilion was Brazil and this is where I got my first food from.

I ordered the Crispy Pork Belly with Black Beans, Tomato and Onions (GF) – $6.00. I paired it with the M.I.A. Beer Company Barbossa Black Beer. The beer had a heavy coffee flavor. You'd definitely have to enjoy darker beers to like it. The pork belly and beans was ok. I love pork belly, but this wasn't my favorite. It was overcooked and dry. The beans were the best part of the dish to me. We kept on walking through World Showcase but didn't buy anything until we made it to Morocco. This was the best dish we had at F&W. I didn't get any pics because we ate it too quickly. We had
  • NY Strip Steak Green Shermoula Flatbread with fresh Radish and Tomato Salsa
  • Spicy Hummus Fries with Cucumber, Tomatoes, Onions, Tzatziki, and Chipotle Sauce
This stuff was amazing. I live in a smaller town in Alabama so we don't have a lot of middle eastern cuisine. Meagan and I both agreed that this was the best we had. Our next purchase was at Hops & Barley. Once again, no pics because I'm not good at remembering. We both had a beer flight and I had the lobster roll. The lobster roll was a good size, definitely enough meat. The beer flight had an IPA on it which is begrudgingly drank. I hate them. While we were sitting to eat and drink Smashmouth came out and had a 30 minute concert. It was a nice surprise and reminded us both of high school since that's when Smashmouth first hit it big.

After the concert we decided just to hit some rides in the park since there were late EMH. She almost puked on Mission: Space. We also hit up Soarin', Test Track, and Spaceship Earth. It was hard to navigate with all the walls that were just put up for the major renovation.

Tomorrow we go to Hollywood and Animal Kingdom and then Hoop Dee Doo for dinner!

Since you liked the hummus fries just in case you didn't know a version is sold year-round at Spice Road.
I agree, they are delicious:).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter