A World of Disney - 2019-2020 Pre Trip Reports! - Basic NYE plans

Definitely seems like a smart and cost-effective move to do them all at once! lol I think it would kill you to skip out on Shanghai when you are technically so close!

I can't even imagine planning a trip that big! Have you started the visa process for China yet? That's the one thing really keeping me from even thinking of any China Disney's because I'd have to either hire a courier to bring my paperwork to NYC or go there myself lol someday I'll get around to it though!
For Shanghai they actually have a transit visa option. You can get a 72-hour visa (I think there may now be a 144 hour version too), and you don't have to apply in advance. Basically there's a list of countries and you have to be going from Country A - Shanghai - Country B (there are a couple of other places in China that have these transit visas). So for the flights to/from Shanghai I will be going South Korea - Shanghai - Taiwan. Biggest hurdle people have are when they are leaving the US - if the departing airport doesn't understand the transit visa process they may not let you on the flight. The major airports understand, but some people have had issues at smaller airports (even though they never have issues once they get to Shanghai). You do need to make sure it's over a 24 hour stay (and you have a hotel booked), or else you may have issues at the airport, but I don't anticipate any!

For Shanghai they actually have a transit visa option. You can get a 72-hour visa (I think there may now be a 144 hour version too), and you don't have to apply in advance. Basically there's a list of countries and you have to be going from Country A - Shanghai - Country B (there are a couple of other places in China that have these transit visas). So for the flights to/from Shanghai I will be going South Korea - Shanghai - Taiwan. Biggest hurdle people have are when they are leaving the US - if the departing airport doesn't understand the transit visa process they may not let you on the flight. The major airports understand, but some people have had issues at smaller airports (even though they never have issues once they get to Shanghai). You do need to make sure it's over a 24 hour stay (and you have a hotel booked), or else you may have issues at the airport, but I don't anticipate any!

Oh I have heard of that before! I feel like I would have terrible luck with that lol I would probably get someone who has never heard of it :rotfl:I feel like LAX probably is pretty good with that though!

Yeah, I'm definitely staying at SDLH! I think I read some of your TRs to get some ideas! I've sort of decided for Shanghai I'm not opposed to buying individual FPs for rides. None of the packages interest me enough, but if crowds are bad I'd rather spend a bit more money for less lines!

Nice! You will love it I'm sure! I'd recommend eating at Lumiere's while you're there as well - loved the theming in there! I was there when the park had only been open a few weeks, so I hadn't heard about their new fast pass options. That sounds like it would be worth it given the long lines for rides that we encountered. I hope Pirates is operating while you're there! I was SO bummed that it was down the entire day we were in the park.

I went to Hawaii at the end of January 2017 (Maui). So much awesome whale watching! It was crazy seeing whales breeching while I was relaxing on the beach! The water was definitely colder though when I had visited in Sept 2015!

Oh, that's good to know! I saw that American Idol's episode airing this Sunday evening was filmed at Aulani so I guess I'll have to tune in - not a show I normally watch but I'd like to see more about the resort!

Another plus – I have enough miles to fly Business class! I think I will appreciate that on the long haul flights!

I had a direct flight from LA to Shanghai and after that 13 hour or so long flight I said if I ever did it again I would save up for a business class seat!! Very good decision on your part there! :thumbsup2

Nice! You will love it I'm sure! I'd recommend eating at Lumiere's while you're there as well - loved the theming in there! I was there when the park had only been open a few weeks, so I hadn't heard about their new fast pass options. That sounds like it would be worth it given the long lines for rides that we encountered. I hope Pirates is operating while you're there! I was SO bummed that it was down the entire day we were in the park.

Oh, that's good to know! I saw that American Idol's episode airing this Sunday evening was filmed at Aulani so I guess I'll have to tune in - not a show I normally watch but I'd like to see more about the resort!
Yes, that was another benefit of arriving in the morning the day before I plan to be at the parks - I will get to do Lumiere's for dinner! Those desserts look sooo cute! Did they even have the digital Fastpass when it opened? I think it may have started to combat scalpers!

I had a direct flight from LA to Shanghai and after that 13 hour or so long flight I said if I ever did it again I would save up for a business class seat!! Very good decision on your part there! :thumbsup2
I know - I can't wait!

Seriously great job planning so far!

Quick backstory: My parents went to China (they did a tour group) last October and ended in Shanghai. I didn't see their itinerary in advance, and shortly after they returned from the trip, I realized that Shanghai Disneyland EXISTS (I didn't know exactly where in China the Disney parks were located). Ooof! If I would have known, I would have been encouraging them to add a day to their vacation to do it! And after seeing the park a little bit on youtube, I think they would have really liked it. Anyway, I'd been reading more about the parks in Asia over the last month or so when I saw your PTR...I'm excited for you and happy that I will be able to follow along!

Did they even have the digital Fastpass when it opened?

We were told that our room keys doubled as our park tickets... and I promptly misplaced mine so we never did use a fp. Very glad we went straight to Tron when the park opened so at least we got to ride that before the line got crazy!

I'm Totally Crazy! - May update!

So, I have a totally crazy update for May, and best of all - it's SAVING ME MONEY while giving me more vacation time!

giphy.gif

First things you should know - I am an engineer (I mentioned that in my bio, but I know people tend to skim that). I do a lot of various activities, but my main one is code consulting and working with architects to ensure their designs are safe and meet the various building and fire codes. Over the years I've tended to lean more towards higher education projects (University and colleges), with a special focus on Science Laboratory buildings. Yesterday afternoon I stumbled upon a conference, Laboratory Design Conference. Which is going on April 29 & 30. In Orlando! What! I'm already going to be in Orlando on May 1! (With my direct boss's ok) I ended up contacting the corporate guy who is in charge of that sort of thing, but I didn't really have high hopes it would all work out.

So, an hour later, I get an email back from another co-worker (who also does a lot of hazardous material work) and she had already been signed up to go to this conference. BUT, she actually wanted to go to a different conference that was at the same time in Arizona. So, she very happily transferred the conference registration over to me, and it was official - I'm headed to Orlando several days early! And work is now paying for my airfare, plus hotel for the extra nights! Woohoo!!!

giphy.gif

Now, modified plans; well not really modified. After lots of stress trying to figure everything out last night (and my head spinning a couple times), I am pretty much doing everything I already posted about, and just having some supplemental plans! Only change I made was for my first FP on May 1 - rather than Meet Mickey, which I had booked since it would be close to the entrance if I was delayed arriving - I booked Splash Mountain. I love that ride and still have only ridden it ONCE EVER (December I cancelled all those FPs due to feeling sick, and February I didn't want to get soaking wet before my flight home)!

Also, Orlando Informer was having a Universal Meetup on April 26 (the Saturday night). I have been wanting to go to one of these but they were always the week before or week after my trips! Basically it's Disney After Hours on steroids - both parks, from 5pm - 1:30 am. Including all food and nonalcoholic drinks, and all rides virtually walk-on! All for the price of basically a park-to-park ticket! Um, yes please! So, I booked that last night.

giphy.gif

What to do about hotels? With the Universal Meetup not ending until 1:30am, it really made more sense to stay on-site for that night. I didn't really want to have to rely on Uber that late. The conference itself is at the Hyatt Regency Orlando, which is right between Sea World and Universal. Technically I could book a room there, but that really wasn't what I wanted to do (it would make more sense for myself personally to stay someplace I want to be at and then just Uber there and back). I checked into rates at the Disneyworld hotels too, and found a decent CBR Annual Passholder rate, but it was in a Pirate Room, which people advised me can have uncomfortable beds and be so far away from everything! And another friend pointed out that would mean having to Uber over to the Hyatt during rush hour traffic up the I-4. Maybe not the best idea. So, even though in my heart I wanted to stay at Disney, my head won out. In the end, I booked... Loew's Sapphire Falls for all 4 nights.

giphy.gif

The rates were very reasonable ($208 on average). I considered doing 3 nights there and then extending the Disney reservation for 1 night so I was already waking up on-site on May 1, but a bunch of things stopped me from doing that: 1) Universal rates go down considerably once you stay for 4 nights. Like $50/night cheaper. 2) I would need to figure out suitcases - like, do I bring them to the Hyatt in the morning, leave them with bell services, then pick them up in the evening and head to Disney after the conference ends; or do I leave them at Universal and have to Uber there and then Uber back out to Disney, and 3) I didn't want to complicate things with the existing reservation with Molly and Caroline, since they won't be arriving until May 1 anyways - I don't trust Disney's booking systems to not mess everything up and cause even more hassle.

So anyways, modified plans:

Saturday April 27 - Travel day, arrive around 3pm. Pick up luggage and Uber to Sapphire Falls. Check-in, drop off bags, and go to check in for the Meetup. Universal all that evening (hopefully I can get rest on the plane)

Sunday April 28 - Relax day. Pool at Sapphire Falls, City Walk. If I'm feeling the Disney urge, I can always uber there (or to Disney Springs), but I wouldn't be able to get any FPs, since I already have 7 days booked and this would be officially an offsite stay. For meals, I do have a list of a handful of places I've noted from reading @Raeven's Trip Reports - Toothsome and Vivo Italian Kitchen are top on my list. I don't plan on getting park tickets for this day - too expensive and I will do all the rides I want the night before!

giphy.gif

Monday, April 29 & Tuesday, April 30 - Conference. This is a full day conference, from 7am - 7pm (well the first 2 hrs and last hour are more networking and registration, not actual talks). I will need to see what happens in the evening, especially Monday night. I don't know if people will have plans to do something fun or if everyone will scatter. I actually know and am on very friendly terms with 2 of the speakers, and we already connected, so maybe we will try to get dinner together. Otherwise, I will probably dinner at CityWalk or one of the Universal resorts.

giphy.gif

Wednesday, May 1 - Move over to Disney and check into Yacht Club. My FPs are already booked for the evening at Magic Kingdom, where I am doing the After Fireworks Dessert Party. I don't know yet what I will do during the day and will probably keep it chill. If I get over there early enough I can consider doing a park sans FPs. But very likely I could end up at a Water Park, since my AP already includes it and I've been wanting to visit them both! It's sort of freeing though keeping it loosy goosy!

So, yeah - crazy change! But I'm pretty stoked about it!

That is awesome!! And bonus since work is now paying for your airfare :cheer2: its like win-win-win for everyone! haha

That Universal meet up sounds like a great deal! Do they do them often?

That is awesome!! And bonus since work is now paying for your airfare :cheer2: its like win-win-win for everyone! haha

That Universal meet up sounds like a great deal! Do they do them often?
Yeah, a couple times per year. If you follow "Orlando Informer" on facebook, thats where they tend to announce them and give details!

Wow that worked out perfectly!

I’m jealous you get to the Orlando Informer meet up! I’ve been dying to go to one but the dates never work out for me! I saw last time they let adults ride Pteranodon flyers without children at the meet up!

Awesome change and so cool that work will cover your airfare/hotel while you are at the conference! Nothing better than more Orlando time!

I'm Totally Crazy!
You are but that is why we love following along with you!

And work is now paying for my airfare, plus hotel for the extra nights! Woohoo!!!

giphy.gif
So Exciting!!!!

I booked Splash Mountain. I love that ride and still have only ridden it ONCE EVER (Dece
What?!?! I feel like Morgan and Gwen need to go on with you... Continue the wetness of rides with them!

I want to be at and then just Uber there and back). I checked into rates at the Disneyworld hotels too, and found a decent CBR Annual Passholder rate, but it was in a Pirate Room, which people advised me can have uncomfortable beds and be so far away from everything! And another friend pointed out that would mean having to Uber over to the Hyatt during rush hour traffic up the I-4. Maybe not the best idea. So, even though in my heart I wanted to stay at Disney, my head won out. In the end, I booked... Loew's Sapphire Falls for all 4 nights.
Sorry that I was no help with this, I was asleep when you text'd me. But I think you ended up with the a good plan. And you will have plenty of Disney to come!

But very likely I could end up at a Water Park, since my AP already includes it and I've been wanting to visit them both! It's sort of freeing though keeping it loosy goosy!
Sounds like a perfect use of your newly open day.

That's fantastic that there happened to be a work conference happening right before your trip and you were able to swing an attendance!

I love how this all worked out for you and cannot wait to hear all about the first part of your trip when I arrive for the WDW portion!! :)

Minor May Update

I have my hotel all booked for the Universal part of the trip.

Airfare was being a bit annoying at first - I'm flying American Airlines and needed to change my flight to MCO. Unfortunately American has a $200 change fee (pretty steep). But everytime I tried to do it online it would say "flight no longer available", which wasn't true because it was still there. It was super annoying, but actually was fortunate. Because I remembered American had actually changed my flight times. My departing flight was leaving 50 minutes earlier (a 7:20am flight, oof), but my returning flight was leaving 3 hrs earlier (which means 3 less hours at Disney :worried:). I had come to terms with the flight time changes, since there really were no other options. HOWEVER, when flights get changed by that much time, you have the option to cancel them with a full refund. So I called up American and cancelled my previous booking and will get a refund. And then I just turned around and booked another flight with the new dates, bypassing the $200 change fee! It also makes it much much much more convenient to get reimbursed from my company for the airfare - otherwise I was going to need to figure out costs with the previous booking and then the changed booking, and explain the change fee, etc. Now it's just one booking, one charge, straight and simple!

I also just saw the posts about the Easter Eggs in the Grand Floridian lobby, and they look gorgeous! They are staying on display until April 28th, the day after I arrive. So, now I plan on Ubering to/from the Grand just to see some chocolate eggs! But you know what, I never know if I will see them again - I know not to travel around Easter and Spring Break, so I figure I might as well do it now! (I think they also do the display at Beach Club, so I will probably need to stop by there too...)

So, that's it for now!

Wow, sounds awesome, I would love to do the meet-up at Universal, this always sounds so fun and the dates never quite work for me!

I changed my HM FP to Splash with you, I love that ride and would love to ride with someone! We didn’t do it last week because of the crowds and timing for us.

I am planning on adding a night at the beginning of our August trip to stay at US RPR for express pass, we want to check out the new Hagrid ride.

I bow down once again to your planning genius :) Way to avoid that change fee and get your company to pay for your flights. You. Are. A. Genius.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!