A Wrinkle in Time is taking a beating in early reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll still go see it but only because with moviepass I don’t have to pay.

Loved the book so want to see what they do.

I'm still excited to see it. I don't think it has anything to do with "going political." Black Panther was very political and it was both a commercial and critical hit. This book was long considered impossible to translate to film and it was very ambitious to even try. I'm sure it failed at capturing many aspects of the book. But I'm happy to experience projects that are overly ambitious over the same tropes being used over and over.

I loved this book as a kid but I think this will be a pass for us, at least at the theater

Not because of any perceived politics, it just doesn't look that good and the reviews are awful

I'm sure we will see it at home :)

I couldn't be less interested in seeing this movie. Wouldn't even waste $1.00 on Redbox for it with the polarizing direction they took. I'm a little surprised the reviews aren't more sugar-coated and forgiving. I wouldn't be surprised if the box office numbers are a flop.

Wow. I just read some of the "fresh" reviews, and the reviewers all seemed pained to say good things about the movie. It seemed like they all felt that they SHOULD like the movie, but they really didn't, and they just don't want to admit it.
Yep, and here is my personal favorite "fresh" rating review:
"A Wrinkle in Time is a wild ride and should be lauded for a diverse and inclusive update, but it falls well short of being a classic in its own right."
Ouch!

The movie itself doesn't even appear to be political. All of that noise is about the casting and the director herself. Unfortunately, it seems that DuVernay was not up to doing a big-budget special effects heavy picture and the end product is uneven and disjointed. I wanted to like this because I liked the book, but my feelings after seeing several clips this week is that I will wait for home video probably. The book is pretty out there to begin with, so I knew it would be hard to put to screen.

For the record, I have no problem with the casting except for Oprah, who is so "Oprah" that she's all you can see. She doesn't transform into the character. The rest of the noise makes no difference to me.

"A Wrinkle in Time is a wild ride and should be lauded for a diverse and inclusive update, but it falls well short of being a classic in its own right."

That statement alone is political and PC.

Making a cast diverse and inclusive just for the sake of doing it doesn't make a movie good. Although it gets extra stars ratingsjust for that? Sigh

Movies should just be good..period

Either way I really don't have the interest in seeing this. Oprah looks out of place dressed in the makeup to me

That statement alone is political and PC.

Making a cast diverse and inclusive just for the sake of doing it doesn't make a movie good. Although it gets extra stars ratingsjust for that? Sigh

Movies should just be good..period

Either way I really don't have the interest in seeing this. Oprah looks out of place dressed in the makeup to me

What you say is true, however it's not the fact that the movie has a diverse cast that makes it bad either. It is possible to be both diverse and a good movie, though it is possible to compromise the latter in pursuit of the former. In this case, I think they hired the wrong director. Why they did is a matter of speculation, but I don't think she has enough experience with science-fiction and special effects.

Why do you say it is political? Just wondering? I don't like any film or event that gets "political" either.

Some people have complained about intentionally diverse casting and the personal politics of the director. These are mostly ideological arguments from people have before even stepping foot into the theater. Of course, the book itself is no stranger to ideological critics because of of overt religious content.

Neither of these should be weight in how good or bad the story or film is, and most of the complaints seem to be, "I really wanted to love this, but it disappointed me." When a film can't satisfy its base customer, it may have serious issues. But, as @Chaitali said, this isn't a book that was ever going to be easy to adapt into a feature film (I know it was once made into a mini-series, but I haven't watched it either).

I have not seen the film, I can only speak to the basic trend of reviews, complaints, box office performance, etc. As someone who has worked in film and animation, I want to see all films do well -- "a high tide raises all ships."

Why do you say it is political? Just wondering? I don't like any film or event that gets "political" either.

I guess saying the movie itself is political would be incorrect. I know how political the director is and some of the cast. Also from reading some of the reviews it seems to have a political cloud hanging over it.

On a side note I read where DuVerney was quoted in saying she did not care how much the movie made which I find to be an odd statement to make. That's not a good way to get studios to pick you up.

I just finished reading the book with my daughter and as we were reading, I could easily see how an interpretation could take quite a political stance. The children fight "the Black Thing," which symbolizes some cosmic force of evil. Any director who decided that an existing person, group of people, or set of beliefs is inherently evil or bad, could use the book to push his or her political agenda by demonizing those people or beliefs, comparing them or their traits or beliefs to "the Black Thing." I was thinking that before I was even aware of who the director or actors were.

I haven't seen the movie and I was looking forward to it, but I am put off by the reviews. I think that, when it comes to filmmaking, when there is an agenda other than to please audiences or to tell a great story, there is a big risk that the ultimate product will be unimpressive.

I will probably rent the movie from Redbox because I want to make a fair judgment of the film, but it doesn't seem like it is worth spending the big bucks at the theater.

I thought it was just me that didn't like the look of this and I haven't even checked out the reviews yet. It just doesn't look good in the ads which is odd since those should make it look better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!