A YOU Worth Fighting For | January 2016 Weight Loss & Better Living Challenge

So far Boma has been my favorite sit down. Both my trips last year had food stalls because of F&G and W&D and those might actually be my favorite place to eat.

Hi all - it has been super busy this week so I haven't had as much time to check-in - it was back to school and back to work week for us here after our summer break.

So I'm checking in with only 22% of goal achieved - I am disappointed but realistic about it.

I feel I am the start of a more focused journey with healthy living including focusing on financial matters this year.

What I thought should have helped which was being off work may have not worked as out of routines and more time for snacking and laying around! I still feel I needed this break but it was perhaps not the time to expect big results but I think the time thinking about it all should help with next month. Baby steps - I certainly didn't end up this weight overnight so I realise its all going to take some time.

By Friday thisweek I was just plan exhausted after a super busy start to work, organising kids back to school and weather has been really hot and humid - it was take out pizza dinner Friday and I fell asleep on the couch between 5.30-6pm my daughter woke me at 8.30pm to say she was going to bed and so I joined her

Was down 1.2 from last weigh in. Well technically last week I was up and then I lost that(again) plus this 1.2. This leaves me about 12 to my first mini goal weight. I don't think I can squeeze it in one month but by the end of march for sure. :)

I'll try to read and catch up with how everyone is finishing out the month. I have to run out to grocery store to complete the rest of my grocery shopping. Hit up the farmer's market chain earlier for the produce and chicken(had a sale of 1.59 a lb on boneless/skinless which is our preferred cut).

Happy Saturday, friends!! LOVING the numbers I've seen posted so far! I'm betting there will be LOTS OF GREEN on our final chart!!

QOTW for January 30 & 31, 2016

View attachment 148284

While not Mulan themed specifically, Mulan does meet in the China pavilion, so it counts! The restaurant inside the China pavilion at Disney is Nine Dragons. Have you ever eaten here?

What is your favorite place to eat - counter service or sit down - at any of the Disney parks?

We've had Nine Dragons once, during a random monsoon-style rain two years ago and we were miserable. This was due to the rain and not the food - so we're going to try it again during our May trip because we want to enjoy it while not dripping wet.

And yesssss..... a Disney Parks food question. I love Disney food and I could seriously talk forever about all of it.. but here are my favorite places to eat in Disney Parks:
  • Magic Kingdom: Be Our Guest (Lunch)
    • The lunch service is really a great hybrid for the experience. You get the ambiance of dinner with excellent food and prices of a quick service. Relaxing in the Rose Room without feeling like the wait staff is trying to kick you out to clear a table is great. We'll usually secure a 1045am reservation and the food will be out around 1115, then we'll bounce at around 1pm after enjoying a quiet lunch and relaxing at the table with unlimited soda :)
  • EPCOT: L'Artisan des Glaces (quick service) and Tokyo Dining (restaurant)
    • L'Artisan des Glaces is home to my favorite snack/treat in all of Disney -- :lovestrucThe Croque Glace:lovestruc For those unfamiliar about the treat, it's a warm brioche bun with your choice of ice cream and either raspberry or chocolate sauce. it's sealed tight in a panini press machine and so so so good. Hands down, I think Tokyo Dining wins for my favorite table service meal. The food is fresh and the ambiance is amazing. I love sitting next to the large windows in Japan up high in the restaurant and looking out at Spaceship Earth as the sky changes color. The lagoon looks so beautiful!
  • Animal Kingdom: Tusker House Buffet (breakfast)
    • Hands-down the best breakfast buffet in all of Disney World. Character interaction is only surpassed by the quality, freshness and selection of food choices. This is our December tradition meal - we spend one day at Animal Kingdom. Start off the day with a great breakfast and then hang out until we can get to Sanaa at AKL for dinner.
  • Hollywood Studios: Nope. Nothing to see here. Park doesn't exist.
  • Disneyland: Carnation Cafe (Breakfast)
    • Carnation Cafe is right on Main St and we always request a table outside. We love the 830am reservation so we can watch all the excited and happy people come down Main St as they head into the park. (side note: also a good location for dinner if you want a dinner reservation during Paint the Night - you'll get a seat and can eat!) I tend to like breakfast more than dinner here because you get Mickey Waffles.
  • California Adventure: Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta (for salad)
    • The Chicken Caesar Salads are amazing here and I love the freshness of the food. One tip I will share: the food at California Adventure surpasses Disneyland by far - probably due to how much newer the kitchens are. I have no problem going up to the salad counter and asking for a fresh chicken caesar salad, no croutons and dressing on the side. Allows me enough calories for a cake pop :)

Honorable Mentions:
  • Steakhouse 55 at the Disneyland Hotel (omfg - everything on the menu is amazing)
  • Catal Restaurant at Downtown Disney
  • The McDonalds at the tiny mall in the little city thingy they house you at Disneyland Paris (like 2 miles down the street). The food at Paris was horrible! The Royale with Cheese was seriously the most overpriced deliciousness I had while at Disney Paris.
  • Chocolate Ganache place at Disney Springs. I could eat like everything in that store - omfg.

My result for the month is something negative. For the first time since last fall I ended the month heavier than I started. But I feel like I am in a good place to make the next month a success, feeling healthy and strong again!

QOTD: my overall favourite Disney park/resort restaurant would be a tie between Flying Fish and Jiko with a slight edge for FF because their steak is so wonderful! Overall Disney I would have to go with Remy on the Disney Fantasy!

@courtneybeth where did you eat at DLP? We just had a number of lovely meals there. Everything is pricey, but to an extent that is just Paris pricing in general. However we found the food quality pretty good.

Hey friends.... Forgot to report that I would be away for 24 hours visiting DD. The Saturday scale peek showed no improvement so ending the month at 3.9 pounds lost (goal was 3) so I'm at 130% for the month! Its been FOREVER (it seems) since I hit a goal, never mind exceeded it! Woot,woot!

Southwest airlines opens the dates for my (tentative) September trip to California on Feb. 18, so fingers crossed that I end up with enough cash and RR points to pull the trigger. The trip is for a conference for DD and she is definitely going, but me tagging along AND possibly adding a day at Disneyland is very budget dependent.

Eating was a bit sketchy while at DD's yesterday. We had both brunch and dinner at a local cafe that we love. We tried to make smarter food decisions and stick with water instead of fancy coffee (at brunch) or wine (at dinner) but not knowing exactly how much fat, sugar, salt, cheese, etc makes it really hard to calculate SP. And this is kind of a "farm to table" place with unusual food choices so it isn't like I can look up a comprable food elsewhere. Brunch was butternut squash cornbread hash with egg white scramble and dinner was butternut squash and caramelized onion sandwich (I opted to go without the cheese and pesto) and a side of lighly dressed greens. Delish but hard to count. Just figured I'd say I used all my daily SP and a handful of my weeklies throughout the course of the day and leave it at that.

At robotics right now. I'll try to be helpful but they don't really need me. TTYL............P

@Flossbolna we ate at Walts Bistro on Main Street. Just all around a disappointing experience. But we loved the muffin we had from the bakery across the street.

Happy Saturday, friends!! LOVING the numbers I've seen posted so far! I'm betting there will be LOTS OF GREEN on our final chart!!

View attachment 148284

While not Mulan themed specifically, Mulan does meet in the China pavilion, so it counts! The restaurant inside the China pavilion at Disney is Nine Dragons. Have you ever eaten here?

What is your favorite place to eat - counter service or sit down - at any of the Disney parks?

We aren't big foodies and as such haven't eaten at a lot of table service restaurants in Disney. On our last two Mother/Daughter trips we did bit of an "Eat Around The World" in Epcot. But we didnt do meals so much as just a tasting of each country. That being said, some of the countries lend themselves better to this than others. Germany's Karamel Kuche has so many wonderful choices if you are up for something sweet. If you want savory you are limited to a pretzel. China has some pretty traditional savory nibbles like potstickers. In Japan we tried mochi (frozen ice cream type balls) and thought it was awful. We usually pick one item and share it....otherwise we'd be full before we hit our third country!

If I had to pick one favorite I'd say.......Be Our Guest......food is above average for quick serve (I've only been for lunch) and it is beautiful!! But I also love Character meals.....although the last time we ate at Chef Mickey's the food was a disappointment. I do just love eating a turkey leg and popcorn while sitting on the curb waiting for a parade!!!

Anyhow.....cannot wait to have an opportunity to do a "Cocktails Around The World" after DD turns 21!! .........P

View attachment 148284

BOG was so fun just to be in.We just had dessert but it was very good. Tappan Edo was great. My current favourite is Sanaa. QS is Earl's in DTD.

Walked another 3.2k this morning to wrap up this month. 60.7k/40k for this month = 151%

@Flossbolna we ate at Walts Bistro on Main Street. Just all around a disappointing experience. But we loved the muffin we had from the bakery across the street.

Sorry that you had a bad experience! We have often eaten at Walt's and always had really good food there! Did you at least enjoy looking at all the lovely decor in there?

View attachment 148284

My favorite is a toss up between California Grill and Citricos. Love both for the fresh seasonal types of choices they have, and they have fantastic desserts. Can't wait to enjoy them both again in a few weeks!

My final weigh in is a bit disappointing for me. I thought I had done quite well this week and would see a loss. But, instead I'm stuck at the same weight, and still down 2 out of 6 pounds that were my goal. So 33% for me.

Thanks for another great job hosting this month @JacknSally! Loved all the QOTDs and Mulan tidbits and tie-ins:)

HUGE tremendous THANK YOU to our lovely "hostess with the mostess" for January! It was a terrific way to kick off our HEALTHY 2016!! Thanks for a great theme and lots of wonderful QOTD! THANKS MEGAN!!...................P

Thank you to @JacknSally for putting together such a lovely thread! I'm sorry to have been an utter failure as a participant. Scale is still lost somewhere in USPS he** so I can't even report final numbers! Best guess would be I'm down a pound (maybe 2) but I'll stay at 0% since I haven't had data in weeks.

I also wanted to say a big thank you to @JacknSally for the wonderful theme and thread this month!! Thank you for all your hard work!!

Yes many many :thanks: to @JacknSally for hostessing! Your effort and time is much appreciated !

I forgot to post that I was going to be gone last weekend, accompanied my oldest daughter to a dog show. Normally her BF goes with her but he's out of town on a business trip. With a very busy weekend I'm exhausted, we only ate out twice being gone over to 48 hours. Lots of walking up my steps in but no formal exercise. This month was a wash for me, I lost a little bit mid month, then regained it with my last two weekends away from home. I have been sick last week and didn't get my workouts in this planned. Though I will say the program I'm on, I do feel like my jeans are looser. So I will continue with the remaining four weeks of this program and hope by the end of February I can report that I'm back in the decade I saw briefly last year.

I forgot to check in last night, but I ended my month at a very frustrating 0%.
However, I did have a good eating day yesterday, so at least I'm starting February on a good foot.

Thanks for being an awesome hostess, @JacknSally!

I've been awful at reporting my progress this month because 2 of those weeks were failures at getting moving, but I am ending the month at 66% towards my workout goals. Not where I wanted to be, but that was much more working out than last month, so at least that is a start towards incorporating this whole exercise thing into my life.....

QOTD: As far as Disney food, my favorite hands down is Yachtsman Steakhouse..... Their porterhouse for two is AMAZING! That right there contributed to my gain this month!

The McDonalds at the tiny mall in the little city thingy they house you at Disneyland Paris (like 2 miles down the street). The food at Paris was horrible! The Royale with Cheese was seriously the most overpriced deliciousness I had while at Disney Paris.
This made me laugh out loud and feel better about eating there ourselves! DH and I were tired and hungry and cold and miserable one night while we were there and so he walked down to get us Royales for dinner. We felt like such a stereotype sitting in our room with our McDonalds, searching for something we wanted to watch in English on TV.... :rotfl: But it was so good Hahaha!

Another thank you to @JacknSally for hosting such a fun and fabulous month!!!!

I'll have to read into this thread. I got through another a little. But I have to leave for work in 15 minutes and I know it will take me 30+ minutes. I may have time later this afternoon on my second shift to catch up some reading on my phone. I get bored its mostly elderly sitting a nice Alzheimer patient.

I have a few goals and challenges for February. 8 lb loss is my goal. 6-8 fruits and veggies keep up my water(usually very easy for me I love water) and doing push up challenge with my dd. I have personal goal to work on my squats. I do one leg slowly down and push up with two(eccentrically) and repeat. :) My strength will be more consistent and I may add a little bit into it. My cardio will stick with fun stuff dancing with dd on Wii games and now we have added skating for family fun fitness type activity. Kids had soooo much fun and I skated for the first time in 15 years. YIKES!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter