ABC Cancels Rosanne After Racist Tweets

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I'm popping in to say is that my Mama called this when the original Roseanne was on.

She always thought Roseanne was a hateful person.

And please, explain to me the "art" of her Twitter posts. To me it just seems to be anti-humanist, conspiratorial, and hate-filled.
The art is the cancelled show. It was pretty good and was getting great ratings. An idiot (Barr) has ruined that.

I certainly get the thought that it does feel at times it isn't even treatment for those that slam conservatives vs those that comment against liberals - but that argument doesn't apply here as she didn't say something political, she associated a person of color to an ape (but I guess they are trying to use this as another argument for the in-equal treatment that can happen)

Oh definitely, I agree. But just as you said - her comments were not political, they were racist through and through. Anyone trying to play the "politics" card, IMO, is just using it as a front for their racism.

Oh definitely, I agree. But just as you said - her comments were not political, they were racist through and through. Anyone trying to play the "politics" card, IMO, is just using it as a front for their racism.
Anyone who disagrees with you about this is a racist?

Anyone who disagrees with you about this is a racist?

I'm not speaking to her right to say them, the argument about how other people are allowed to say what they want and don't get in trouble. But I am speaking only to her comments themselves. And yes, anyone that doesn't see anything wrong with her comments? I would definitely call them racist, as only someone who is racist would be okay with them. Unfortunately, there are people on social media today who are trying to defend her actual comments (not the right to say them etc), playing the politics card...

She was joking in a back and forth exchange with someone else. I do not believe that she was being a racist - I believe that she was being an idiot comedian with no limits. That is who she always has been. The politics is simple - jokes are jokes, and not real until someone decides that they are more - this is called "political correctness". Why, do you suppose, that is is called political correctness instead of just correctness?

I guess I just don't see not calling a black person a monkey as political correctness. Political correctness implies that it was once ok but now people are being overly sensitive to the statement.

She was joking in a back and forth exchange with someone else. I do not believe that she was being a racist - I believe that she was being an idiot comedian with no limits. That is who she always has been. The politics is simple - jokes are jokes, and not real until someone decides that they are more - this is called "political correctness". Why, do you suppose, that is is called political correctness instead of just correctness?

If calling an African American woman an ape is not racism, what is your definition of it? Whether it is "political correctness" or just "correctness", she was wrong.

I'm not speaking to her right to say them, the argument about how other people are allowed to say what they want and don't get in trouble. But I am speaking only to her comments themselves. And yes, anyone that doesn't see anything wrong with her comments? I would definitely call them racist, as only someone who is racist would be okay with them. Unfortunately, there are people on social media today who are trying to defend her actual comments (not the right to say them etc), playing the politics card...
Fair enough - the words were racist. But we can't read her mind, and her history as a nut job comedian makes me see this differently. I do not view her as any more a racist for having said this than I did before. I continue to see her as an "equal opportunity offender" comedian, with nothing off limits.

I guess I just don't see not calling a black person a monkey as political correctness. Political correctness implies that it was once ok but now people are being overly sensitive to the statement.
I can name many shows in American history that were big hits that said a lot worse. None were criticized as being racist, and many were written by people of color. That is what I mean by political correctness.

The words didn't change, but the way that the words are interpreted have. Barr just isn't bright enough to recognize that she can't get away with telling that kind of joke any more.

Fair enough - the words were racist. But we can't read her mind, and her history as a nut job comedian makes me see this differently. I do not view her as any more a racist for having said this than I did before. I continue to see her as an "equal opportunity offender" comedian, with nothing off limits.

Which is an interesting point, because yes, there are definitely comedians out there, making a living off of making racist jokes. Heck, look at the movie A Million Ways to Die in the West. Is there a race out there that they didn't make fun of in that movie?

So why do people accept racism when it's comedy, and not when it's outside of that context?

If calling an African American woman an ape is not racism, what is your definition of it? Whether it is "political correctness" or just "correctness", she was wrong.
The words were racist, but does that automatically make Barr a racist?

The words were racist, but does that automatically make Barr a racist?

Well that may be a bad example, because if you look back at her history, she has made racist remarks outside of comedy context before over history. I would be more inclined to think that yes, she is indeed racist, lol. But perhaps covers it behind comedy.

So then, that makes me wonder... how many (white) comedians ARE racist, and are hiding it under the guise of comedy?

Well that may be a bad example, because if you look back at her history, she has made racist remarks outside of comedy context before over history. I would be more inclined to think that yes, she is indeed racist, lol. But perhaps covers it behind comedy.

So then, that makes me wonder... how many (white) comedians ARE racist, and are hiding it under the guise of comedy?
That's my point - how could we know? Has she always been a racist, or has she always just been an irreverent comedian? We presume to know what is in the minds of others. We really have no idea.

Roseanne is by no means a perfect human being and has said plenty of bad things. She made a racist comment on Twitter and the show was cancelled.

As for The View and other shows thats an endless discussion.

Lets not bring in our current administration or political issues as then I will have to close this thread.

Yeah, the "mental illness" comment was equal to this comment, IMO. I don't like Pence, but how does one get away with that? Simple - political correctness allows for the one insult but not the other.

A big part of it is whether the insult is aimed at one person or a group of people. Calling Pence mentally ill, is at best needless hyperbole, and at worst very distasteful, but it doesn't set out to malign an entire class of people. Calling a black woman an ape of the Planet of the Apes variety necessarily includes all black women, which thus makes it a different class of offensive. There's not much room for doubt on this one. She picked a metaphor that works only too well; it wasn't a lazy slip of the tongue of the "I call lots of people monkeys, and genuinely wasn't giving thought to the color of skin here" kind. She knew what she was saying, and that's what makes it racist rather than just 'politically incorrect' IMV.

Sorry i have to disagree, when you equate a black person to being an ape, thats being a racist. This isnt part of this whole "political correctness" debate going in our country, this would was just plain racist and way over the line. It would have been over the line 5 years ago, 10 years, 20 years ago, and yes even 30 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!