ABC Cancels Rosanne After Racist Tweets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry i have to disagree, when you equate a black person to being an ape, thats being a racist. This isnt part of this whole "political correctness" debate going in our country, this would was just plain racist and way over the line. It would have been over the line 5 years ago, 10 years, 20 years ago, and yes even 30 years ago.
I don't mind that you disagree. I am not trying to sell you on Barr's character or explain away her comments.

Each was referring to a specific person.

Oh come on. Calling out Pence's intelligence is referring to a specific person. Calling out his Hoosierness, or maleness, or oldness or anything else that is not specifically a trait of Mike Pence is *not* calling out a specific person.

A big part of it is whether the insult is aimed at one person or a group of people. Calling Pence mentally ill, is at best needless hyperbole, and at worst very distasteful, but it doesn't set out to malign an entire class of people. Calling a black woman an ape of the Planet of the Apes variety necessarily includes all black women, which thus makes it a different class of offensive. There's not much room for doubt on this one. She picked a metaphor that works only too well; it wasn't a lazy slip of the tongue of the "I call lots of people monkeys, and genuinely wasn't giving thought to the color of skin here" kind. She knew what she was saying, and that's what makes it racist rather than just 'politically incorrect' IMV.

I think you are minimizing the impact of calling Pence mentally ill - that is really dangerous territory and also minimizes the seriousness of the mental health topic/issue in this country

I don't see it as the same things at Roseanne did and not going to get into ranking which is worse or whatever, but both are really bad in my mind

Oh come on. Calling out Pence's intelligence is referring to a specific person. Calling out his Hoosierness, or maleness, or oldness or anything else that is not specifically a trait of Mike Pence is *not* calling out a specific person.
rteetz does not want us going into it here, but this was not about his intelligence. It was about his religious beliefs and mental illness - equating the two.

I want to add that many of you have interpreted my original post to mean that I believe that what Barr wrote should be excused, or that she should not have been punished. I am more than fine with her being fired over this. I just think that it is a shame that the entire show had to be canceled. I get that it really can't exist without her.

Stupidity should be painful. In this case, it was.

I want to add that many of you have interpreted my original post to mean that I believe that what Barr wrote should be excused, or that she should not have been punished. I am more than fine with her being fired over this. I just think that it is a shame that the entire show had to be canceled. I get that it really can't exist without her.

I wish there was a workaround for the show that didn't include her. Maybe its too early to say that can't happen, maybe it will. I'm doubtful though.

Sorry to double quote, but i read this article after i responded to your last post.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/30/entertainment/roseanne-without-roseanne/index.html

Maybe its more possible than i thought?

I don't mind that you disagree. I am not trying to sell you on Barr's character or explain away her comments.
Yes you are, you are using the guise of something being "politically incorrect" to take away any responsibility she may have for saying something racist. I know being politically incorrect is the cool thing to do nowadays, but usually it just means you're a mean person. Sometimes things people say are just plain awful and they need to be called out.

My mother always said that “two wrongs don’t make a right.”

If somebody on The View insulted a public figure on her Twitter account and didn’t get fired over it, it does not change the fact that Roseanne insulted a public figure with racial remarks.

It also doesn’t change the fact that she has demonstrated throughout her life that she is not mentally nor emotionally stable.

ABC knows this, and it’s one reason that they fired her immediately. They realize that if they got her to apologize humbly and gave her a do-over, she’d do the same thing again in short order.

Look at her Tweets today—the woman has no self-control.

Look at her Tweets today—the woman has no self-control.

Exactly ... looks like she popped some more Ambien and decided to rage-Tweet at her former co-stars for "throwing her under the bus".

I don't think it was the one Tweet that did it as much as that Tweet was the last straw. Even some of the crew knew that it was going to get canceled eventually, but they were surprised it was so soon AND so sudden. Multiple trade mags have said that she was told to tone it down or just stay off Twitter.

Interesting nugget from this story today in The Economist:

Is Ms Barr unhinged? Last year her children took control of her Twitter account, deleted her past tweets and changed her password. Shortly before the premiere of the “Roseanne” reboot, Ms Barr was back on Twitter. ABC took a risk when it commissioned the revival of a show about the lives of ordinary folk in the Midwest. The main danger, it turns out, was the star of the show.

Yes you are, you are using the guise of something being "politically incorrect" to take away any responsibility she may have for saying something racist. I know being politically incorrect is the cool thing to do nowadays, but usually it just means you're a mean person. Sometimes things people say are just plain awful and they need to be called out.
LOL - no - that is not what I did. I never excused her words. And I explained what I meant by political correctness. If that doesn't satisfy you, so be it. I'm not trying to start a fan club here.

well, I don't agree with that - but her follows sure seem to in that she is being unfairly targeted while people that say controversial/political things the other way (ripping the president with unfounded facts, etc.) aren't punished
Talk to Kathy Griffith (sp) about that. When you go over the line there are consequences and contrary to popular opinion it does go both ways.

It is sad that Americans cannot talk about things like this in a constructive way. The first thing that we want to do is take sides. The second thing that we want to do is defend the position of the side that we have taken. And then it escalates from there. It prevents meaningful change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter