ABC news - American woman attacked in the Dominican Republic... Update 6/3

That's not what terrorism is. Terrorism, by definition, needs to have a political motive behind the violence.
This isn't about terrorism. It's about someone being assaulted at a resort and the resort staff and managers actively hindering her family's search for her and then hindering their attempts to have offending party brought to justice.
WTH? This isn't about terrorism at all; this is good old-fashioned CRIME.

This is about people living in impoverished places preying on clueless vulnerable foreigners who wander into their midst. This isn't faceless political violence; it's personal crime directed at individuals. These are criminals who take advantage of the desperation of local governments for tourism income, which allows them free rein to practice their vices on easy marks. They choose these places to rape and to rob individuals because they know they can get away with it there, because poorly-paid law-enforcement officials can be bribed, and because the resort will pay off the victims to protect the business. (And they will pay, too, as long as the victims are willing to sign nondisclosure agreements; that has always been the pattern with this particular type of crime.)

Sorry, all! I understand what terrorism is, those were 2 separate thoughts I forgot to join with more words (typed out my response too fast). I was intending to reference the fact that in addition to events like these, all the terrorism abroad lately (specifically places like Paris/UK/etc) has caused a lot of people to stop traveling. Whether it be crime or terrorism, it still breaks my heart that evil people can ruin traveling for others. The world is such a beautiful place, we shouldn't have to be scared to go see it.

I
What a strange thing to say in order to diminish what she went through.

Not diminishing anything. I just find it absolutely ironic that people will use crime in a foreign country to say "won't go there anymore," but crime in the US is not a reason to say "better move away fast" or "never going there anymore." There's crime everywhere. Bad things happen everywhere. I think sometimes people go to a different location and relax too much because it's "vacation" or whatever.

I travel to Mexico all the time. Love it. Don't feel the least bit "unsafe" but I also don't let my guard down and remain as vigilant as I do in the US.

This would certainly be reason for me to avoid this resort in the future as it seems from what's been reported so far, they were less than helpful to these people, but not a reason to avoid the country. I'm also leery of reports that are one-sided. Sort of like the Minneapolis guy who died in Mexico a few weeks ago. The FIRST report was that he was "attacked." Now, it seems (and his family agrees) that he fell from a high balcony and died from injuries related to the fall. There again, the claim was the resort wasn't "helpful." Apparently not true. The man lacked international health insurance and the hospital demanded payment upfront to treat him. I personally don't understand people who go to another country without any form of insurance for health care. Huge mistake. No one is obliged to treat you, and payment up front is not unusual.

I

Not diminishing anything. I just find it absolutely ironic that people will use crime in a foreign country to say "won't go there anymore," but crime in the US is not a reason to say "better move away fast" or "never going there anymore." There's crime everywhere. Bad things happen everywhere. I think sometimes people go to a different location and relax too much because it's "vacation" or whatever.

I travel to Mexico all the time. Love it. Don't feel the least bit "unsafe" but I also don't let my guard down and remain as vigilant as I do in the US.

This would certainly be reason for me to avoid this resort in the future as it seems from what's been reported so far, they were less than helpful to these people, but not a reason to avoid the country. I'm also leery of reports that are one-sided. Sort of like the Minneapolis guy who died in Mexico a few weeks ago. The FIRST report was that he was "attacked." Now, it seems (and his family agrees) that he fell from a high balcony and died from injuries related to the fall. There again, the claim was the resort wasn't "helpful." Apparently not true. The man lacked international health insurance and the hospital demanded payment upfront to treat him. I personally don't understand people who go to another country without any form of insurance for health care. Huge mistake. No one is obliged to treat you, and payment up front is not unusual.

There is lots of stuff I won't do anymore right here in America out of fear of gun violence. I have changed my opinion on things like music festivals and other large gatherings of people...

We were in the DR 2 weeks ago. I felt to more unsafe at the resort than at a resort in WDW.

I

I apologize then, your post really does come across like you are saying that she didn't go through something nearly as bad as being in a mass shooting in somewhere like Vegas.

I don't see any irony in people avoiding areas that are known for a higher rate of crime especially against tourists. Right now Dominican Republic is listed as a level 2 travel advisory. It isn't high but still might make some reconsider vacationing there. There are plenty of places within the US I won't vacation due to crime rates. It's a huge place with many areas I'm sure those same people who wouldn't travel to some foreign countries wouldn't travel too. This isn't really a competition.

It’s funny, and I don’t me haha funny, more ironic.... DH and I were just talking last week about a cruise excursion and DH the kids wanted to go on an excursion that was more adventurous than I really was interested in. I said they should go without me and maybe I would just walk around Old San Juan or take the trolley myself or what if I did a cruise sponsored excursion myself. He said no way... we stick together. I thought he was being crazy. Maybe now, not so much.

I certainly wouldn't use this example as a reason to stop traveling, but certainly, if the story is true then it would give one pause about booking at this particular property.

As at WDW, the "bubble" of an all-inclusive property isn't real enough to make it safe to let down one's usual safety precautions, but in a situation where there are indications that something has gone wrong and hotel security refuses to investigate, then the place is by nature unsafe, because hubris causes quite a few tragedies.

I had a (domestic) hotel blow me off like this once, after I had been the victim of an incident that was caused by their negligence. I went into a stairwell and got trapped, because all of the exit doors that led out of it were locked. It happened in winter, the stairwell was unheated & I was not dressed for the cold. Luckily a passerby in a corridor heard me screaming for help and opened the door. When I spoke to the manager the next morning he acted like it was no big deal -- the State Fire Marshall disagreed. I probably would not have escalated it to that degree had my complaint not been brushed off, but when they dismissed it, I alerted the investigators, who discovered that it wasn't the only fire code violation on the property. They paid big-time, and the hotel was forced to close.

I just find it absolutely ironic that people will use crime in a foreign country to say "won't go there anymore," but crime in the US is not a reason to say "better move away fast" or "never going there anymore."
Oh I def. avoid going to certain places because of crime and yes some of those are right in my metro. There are places where it's more of a situation of going at night or time of year combined with going by myself rather than with other people.

All of these "all inclusive" resorts in developing countries are shady as heck. I would never, ever spend my vacation dollars at one of them. Tainted alcohol, assaults/violence, shady tax evasion, etc. These places should be considered "go at your own risk."

Sounds like some places in the US too - especially the assaults and shady tax evasion.

Did you guys see this story?
So sad, they look so happy in all their pictures. I'm not in the medical field but aren't the odds of 2 people dying of the exact thing at the exact time pretty slim?
I just don't know if I'd trust the autopsy reports, I would want someone here at home to perform one.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/american-...y-failure-162600414--abc-news-topstories.html
I also saw where officials in the DR are saying there are holes in the woman's (in the OP) story.
I would think maybe after being beaten and left for dead you might have some things not so clear in your mind.

Did you guys see this story?
So sad, they look so happy in all their pictures. I'm not in the medical field but aren't the odds of 2 people dying of the exact thing at the exact time pretty slim?
I just don't know if I'd trust the autopsy reports, I would want someone here at home to perform one.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/american-...y-failure-162600414--abc-news-topstories.html
Saw this this morning, another American died the same way at the same hotel a few days before the couple did. I wonder if there are guests from other countries that have but we just haven't heard about them?
Or maybe the cause of death isn't accurate :scratchin

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/another-a...ys-couple-214206345--abc-news-topstories.html

I saw both of these on my Facebook feed this morning. People in the comments were saying perhaps there were some poisonous gases (intentional or not) at the resort. Maybe not carbon monoxide because I think they could determine that, but perhaps something else. Or something in the food or drink, which would likely be intentional. Either way, its very suspect. I'm supposed to travel to Punta Cana for a wedding next summer and am keeping close tabs on these stories.

I imagine if 3 people died of the same "natural causes" a few days apart in the same WDW resort (or any other tourist spot in the US) the attention, and investigation would be very thorough. Not to mention the media would be reporting about it non-stop.

Sorry OP, I did not mean to hi-jack your thread, I just thought these stories fit here.

I

There are definitely places I avoid in the US, and right here in my home city https://www.chicagotribune.com/data/ct-shooting-victims-map-charts-htmlstory.html

There are definitely places I avoid in the US, and right here in my home city https://www.chicagotribune.com/data/ct-shooting-victims-map-charts-htmlstory.html
I stay at my dd's home in Chicago with her family many times. On a Sunday evening last summer, the news reported 17 gunshot deaths. They live in an awesome neighborhood, but they are 10 minutes from downtown, they live in Niles. They live near Milwaukee Avenue and my dd just told me they other day, not to walk out that way. Huge cemeteries are about a mile away, on Milwaukee Ave. and she said, there have been retaliations during the burials. Sorry OP for going OT, but I am so glad they sold their home. But now they are trying to find a safe neighborhood near Milwaukee. Almost just as bad.

I stay at my dd's home in Chicago with her family many times. On a Sunday evening last summer, the news reported 17 gunshot deaths. They live in an awesome neighborhood, but they are 10 minutes from downtown, they live in Niles. They live near Milwaukee Avenue and my dd just told me they other day, not to walk out that way. Huge cemeteries are about a mile away, on Milwaukee Ave. and she said, there have been retaliations during the burials. Sorry OP for going OT, but I am so glad they sold their home. But now they are trying to find a safe neighborhood near Milwaukee. Almost just as bad.

It’s so sad, isn’t it? And I’m sure there are many families who don’t have the means to move to a safer neighborhood. I don’t know what the solution is, but I sure wish someone could put an end to the huge amount of violence occurring there. Best of luck to your daughter and family in their new home

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter