ABD Italy and Switzerland vs. Disney Mediterranean Cruise ( Barcelona to Rome, with Ajaccio) withABD add on

Two completely different animals. I've heard nothing but amazing reviews on Italy/Switzerland...and you can't really compare it to a med cruise ABD add on because by definition the Italy/Switzerland trip mostly involves a landlocked country. The ABD med cruise hits up some places in Italy but you're getting a taste only, unlike an experience with ABD.

You should head over to the ABD forum for more info. Enjoy!

We are trying to decide between the two. Thoughts?

While I’ve never done the Italy/Switzerland ABD, I have done 2 DCL Med Cruises (one with the ABD add on) and the old ABD Signature Italy tour. Here are some things that may help you make your decision:

1) Decide what you want to see in those locations. When I took my first DCL Med Cruise, I did the ABD add on. The trip was awesome and ABD was usually the first off and last on the ship each day. I learned more and saw more in each port with the ABD guides than I did when I did the 2nd DCL Med Cruise on my own and took the DCL excursions. With the ABD add on, you also got extras like a free Palo dinner, private animation lesson, free case of water in room, etc. I don’t know how many of these they are still doing since it’s been about 8 years since I did the add on. We also had the late seating, which is what you want when you do a Med Cruise because some of the cities are about an hour from the port.

2) You can’t do everything in one trip. I wish I had known this before my 1st Med Cruise. It took me three trips to Italy to see everything I wanted to see. I probably could have done it in two trips if I had done the ABD land tours first. I still haven’t been to the Amalfi coast, so I know I’m headed back at some point. I REALLY love Italy and Barcelona, so going back won’t be a hardship.

3) Do you want to unpack once (Cruise) or several different times (ABD)? To date, I’ve done 7 ABDs and 8 DCL Cruises. When I do ABDs, I never unpack because you’re normally in each hotel for 1-3 nights. You do have to be more intentional packing for an ABD because your checked bag is usually picked up early in the morning when you leave the hotel. Sometimes the night before. Your carryon bag stays with you on the bus or plane.

As the OP said, the two really can’t be compared. There are pros and cons to each. Good luck with your decision.

We have done the ABD Northern Italy/Switzerland trip and have done a Barcelona>Rome cruise on a different cruise line. We loved both.

The highlight of the ABD is seeing the Matterhorn. Absolutely spectacular. Lots of beautiful scenery on the whole trip. Highly recommended.

The cruise was also wonderful since you get to experience several ports that you've probably heard/read about over the years. Plus ending in Rome gives you a great opportunity to spend a few extra days in the "eternal city" as it is known so you can see more. We few into Barcelona a couple of days ahead of time (never, never fly to your cruise on departure day) and enjoyed seeing the city. While there, be sure to see Sagrada Família. Its awe inspiring.

Do you want to be able to really envelop yourself in the local culture (land tour) where you eat in a local restaurant, wander the little streets, sit at a cafe and watch the people, or do you want to dip your toe in for a few hours and move on (cruise) while eating in the DCL dining room and seeing DCL shows at night? To me, that's the biggest difference.

You can easily do Italy and Switzerland on your own. We have driven around both countries several times determining our own itineraries with the help of a good travel agent for hotels. For us doing what we want when we want is important. We save tours with guides for more exotic places where it’s harder to navigate on your own.
And we’ve done several med cruises both on and off disney. We like cruising Disney for the onboard experience and if we have been to a port, we may not get off. We have also traveled before and after a cruise on our own to see the countries and sites we want. A cruise is great for an overview so you know where you want to return to later.

I haven't done either, but I'm Italian and I have visited those locations extensively. And I can tell you that the Italian/Swiss alps and the Italian Dolomites areas(Val Gardena, Val di Fassa, Lake Braies) are my favourite location in the whole world. Spectacular scenery, beautiful walks, amazing food a calm and tranquil environment.
Obviously a Disney cruise is something else entirely, as well as the historical cities where it stops. I'm with the poster above, you can do the alps/dolomites alone, it's a very safe and easy to navigate area, amazing hotels which enrich your experience.

Whereas the cruise is good to see those other areas as they are more full on and it's good to have thw accommodation already arranged.

I haven't done either, but I'm Italian and I have visited those locations extensively. And I can tell you that the Italian/Swiss alps and the Italian Dolomites areas(Val Gardena, Val di Fassa, Lake Braies) are my favourite location in the whole world. Spectacular scenery, beautiful walks, amazing food a calm and tranquil environment.
Obviously a Disney cruise is something else entirely, as well as the historical cities where it stops. I'm with the poster above, you can do the alps/dolomites alone, it's a very safe and easy to navigate area, amazing hotels which enrich your experience.

Whereas the cruise is good to see those other areas as they are more full on and it's good to have thw accommodation already arranged.
We had a week of hiking planned in the Dolomites at the end of June, that ended up getting cancelled. Hoping to try and do it next year. Nice to know it is one of your favorite places.

We had a week of hiking planned in the Dolomites at the end of June, that ended up getting cancelled. Hoping to try and do it next year. Nice to know it is one of your favorite places.
I know what a pity we were also supposed to go as we don't miss either a summer or a winter. If you need any tips on your itinerary I'm happy to help. I attach a photo of last summer at Prato Piazza near San Candido. A town where you can then rent bikes and bike all the way to Austria, very sound of music I would say!

Attachments

• IMG_20190830_112836.jpg
    IMG_20190830_112836.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 10

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!