AbD Japan April 2019 Inaugural Trip

Thanks very much for the detailed report! It is helpful for those of us considering going on this trip.

Was it warm during this trip? Did the hotels have good air conditioning? I ask because I took a business trip to Japan a few years ago in the Fall and I found it difficult to cool the hotel room sufficiently.
The weather was perfect - high 60s and low 70s most days with a couple of days in the high 70s. It flirted with the possibility of rain but the AbD guides were prepared with ponchos. Our rickshaw driver commented that it gets warm in Kyoto in the summer, so he takes a couple more rest stops.

The rooms in Kyoto, Odawara, and Tokyo all had individual climate control, so we could have the rooms as cool or as warm as we liked. The one exception was the Hotel Associa in Takayama. Several of us commented on how warm those rooms were. There was a note from the hotel in the room about the climate controls, that it is controlled centrally at the hotel. They run the AC in July and August, the heat in November thru April, and nothing the remaining months. The hotel does have fans at the front desk for those who might want to use one. We were there in April, at the tail end of their “heaters” cycle and it was much warmer than it had been the prior couple of weeks with snow and temps in the 30s.

You’re welcome! I think you will have a wonderful time. My only other AbD was the long weekend in New York City, but I think this one will be hard to top for the longer adventures. We heard very positive comments throughout from more seasoned AbD travelers.

Re changes, since we were the inaugural group, the timings and durations at stops were the first time through with a large group. I can see some possible tweaks there with timings to fine tune a bit. Our group was prompt at being on the bus at the appointed times; they have allowed a bit of extra time for stragglers and for traffic which is always an unknown. They’d already adjusted the order of activities on our first full day in Tokyo so lunch would not be so late.

I personally wouldn’t change anything - while I could have used a few more minutes at some stops, others were already by the bus when we got back.

That's great that you heard so many positive comments from the more seasoned ABD travelers. I hope that ABD makes this one of their signature, product-defining trips (AKA China, Vietnam, South Africa). It's costing a pretty penny for four of us so it's going to be make or break on future ABDs. We were off ABD until China (which we loved), and now we are teetering so this will tip us one way or another. We did the 2-night extension, too, and that's the part I fear may end up being a place of regret, but some of the perks you mentioned give me hope that I won't feel like I got totally ripped off, LOL.

Sounds like very minimal tweaks, which is awesome. We go in mid-July (end of rainy season), so I'm expecting heat, but I'll cross my fingers for a mild summer. As long as they have working AC that goes below 75 (I'm looking at you Greece hotels!), we'll be fine :)

The bus definitely had working AC - with individual vents above each seat ( sort of like airline seats but the vents are like car vents) which will be nice when the days are hotter as the bus will be cool. The water on the bus is also in an iced cooler, which will be nice as well.

Thank you so much for such a wonderful trip report! I am so excited for our trip and glad to know there are surprises that we’re not revealed! I love surprises. I’m sure I will be re-reading your TR aa we get closer to our own adventure.

Thank you so much for such a wonderful trip report! I am so excited for our trip and glad to know there are surprises that we’re not revealed! I love surprises. I’m sure I will be re-reading your TR aa we get closer to our own adventure.
Have fun - I think you will really enjoy this one!

For anyone looking to do trains on their own, either pre-days in Kyoto or during free time in Tokyo, we used this app to help figure out which trains, which train system, time options, and fares for the fixed fares tickets within Tokyo. It worked very well for us.

http://www.hyperdia.com/

So one thing I haven't seen anyone mention is - what kind of clothing did you wear for this adventure? (Well, except for business casual for dinner if you want). China, it was so hot we just did T-shirts & shorts most days. Somehow, I'm picturing Japan as a bit more formal than that, but I realize that may just be a false perception on my part. I don't see many Adventurers in your photos. :)

The lanyard is 5x5, here is a pic of both front and back of it. There is a clear sleeve for the park ticket and a small zipper pocket that expands on one side, it could hold a few fast passes or maybe the resort monorail pass.

View attachment 397431

Update - forgot to respond re the time, it was quick to redeem the voucher in the hotel Gift shop, as there were not a lot of people there that early (approx 8:30 a.m.). It took longer to find the gift shop - haha! It is down the stairs to the first floor & on the right. Hours when we were there was 8 a.m. to 11p.m.
Thanks! That looks great for use at TDR!

Sayhello

So one thing I haven't seen anyone mention is - what kind of clothing did you wear for this adventure? (Well, except for business casual for dinner if you want). China, it was so hot we just did T-shirts & shorts most days. Somehow, I'm picturing Japan as a bit more formal than that, but I realize that may just be a false perception on my part. I don't see many Adventurers in your photos. :)

Thanks! That looks great for use at TDR!

Sayhello
My DS wore shorts & t-shirts every day. I wore jeans every day, with layers of a T-shirt underneath & either another t-shirt or a light flannel shirt over. It was slightly warmer for our Tokyo days so one of the guides had shorts there also. Others dressed similarly, some in polos or t-shirts or Disney shirts, most in jeans or khakis. At TDR it was Disney shirts all the way. So, I’d dress for the weather and be comfortable because that’s how others were dressed.

My DS wore shorts & t-shirts every day. I wore jeans every day, with layers of a T-shirt underneath & either another t-shirt or a light flannel shirt over. It was slightly warmer for our Tokyo days so one of the guides had shorts there also. Others dressed similarly, some in polos or t-shirts or Disney shirts, most in jeans or khakis. At TDR it was Disney shirts all the way. So, I’d dress for the weather and be comfortable because that’s how others were dressed.
Thanks! That's great to know. Now all I have to do is figure out what the weather is going to be that I'm dressing for in 2 1/2 weeks! :)

Sayhello

Thanks! That's great to know. Now all I have to do is figure out what the weather is going to be that I'm dressing for in 2 1/2 weeks! :)

Sayhello
It does vary between Kyoto, Takayama, and Tokyo. Tokyo was the warmest, Takayama is up in the mountains so was cooler. That why I went with layers, so I could add or subtract as needed.

Magicland,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a thorough trip report. It has been very helpful. We don't have any extra days in Tokyo so our big decision will be what to do on our free afternoon.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the trip and the weather was pleasant.

Magicland,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a thorough trip report. It has been very helpful. We don't have any extra days in Tokyo so our big decision will be what to do on our free afternoon.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the trip and the weather was pleasant.
You’re welcome. Enjoy your Adventure!

Our free time in Tokyo was pretty much set with my DS interest in anime...but I’d have had a hard time deciding also had there been other options for us.

Culturally, shorts are only worn by children. Grown women wear long pants, skirts or dresses. That's what we were told when we traveled to Japan in 1998, so I don't know if times have changed in 20+ years.

Quick question @Mathmagicland. The ferry ride to Miyajima, how was that? I've been known to get seasick. Any problems with that? You said it was only like 10 minutes? Any other pain points on this trip I should worry about as far as sea or car sickness is concerned?

Thanks!
Sayhello

Quick question @Mathmagicland. The ferry ride to Miyajima, how was that? I've been known to get seasick. Any problems with that? You said it was only like 10 minutes? Any other pain points on this trip I should worry about as far as sea or car sickness is concerned?

Thanks!
Sayhello
Hi @sayhello - the ferry ride was very smooth. I too can be prone to motion sickness & had no issues with the ferry either way. I did stand outside along the rail as the fresh air helps me but I don’t think it would have mattered much.

I was also fine on the river boat ride in Kyoto, but I wear these things called “Sea Bands” which help me a lot. My DS had planned to wear his bands but forgot & he had no issues at all. For the most part it was pretty easy trip, though there were a couple of times in that almost 2 hour ride where I was glad I had them.

The one time you may have an issue is the day we rode from Takayama to Odawara. The first half of that trip (2+ hours) is through a bit of windy mountain roads as you are coming off the mountain down to sea level. This was the only time the guides actually said something about the drive the day before to prepare anyone who might need it. I mentioned my sensitivity & they ensured I boarded the bus early to get a seat towards the front. I also had picked up some crackers & had taken a non-drowsy Dramamine, so between all of those things I was fine.

Nothing else stands out as being a problem for me.

Hi @sayhello - the ferry ride was very smooth. I too can be prone to motion sickness & had no issues with the ferry either way. I did stand outside along the rail as the fresh air helps me but I don’t think it would have mattered much.

I was also fine on the river boat ride in Kyoto, but I wear these things called “Sea Bands” which help me a lot. My DS had planned to wear his bands but forgot & he had no issues at all. For the most part it was pretty easy trip, though there were a couple of times in that almost 2 hour ride where I was glad I had them.

The one time you may have an issue is the day we rode from Takayama to Odawara. The first half of that trip (2+ hours) is through a bit of windy mountain roads as you are coming off the mountain down to sea level. This was the only time the guides actually said something about the drive the day before to prepare anyone who might need it. I mentioned my sensitivity & they ensured I boarded the bus early to get a seat towards the front. I also had picked up some crackers & had taken a non-drowsy Dramamine, so between all of those things I was fine.

Nothing else stands out as being a problem for me.
Thanks! This is perfect. I have Sea Bands, so I'll bring those. I also have the Patch left over from last October, so I'll bring those along for the drive from Takayama. Windy roads can do me in, and I know I can tolerate the Patch.

I really appreciate this! (I totally forgot in Scotland, and the drives through the Highlands were kind of hairy!!)

Sayhello

What a great trip and a great report. I had been going back and forth about booking with ABD because of the cost., but my daughter and I went to Italy on an ABD trip and you just get the best treatment with Disney. So it is worth the extra money. Reading your report just makes me realize ABD is the way to go.

What a great trip and a great report. I had been going back and forth about booking with ABD because of the cost., but my daughter and I went to Italy on an ABD trip and you just get the best treatment with Disney. So it is worth the extra money. Reading your report just makes me realize ABD is the way to go.
Thanks! I agree, AbD makes things so nice and so easy plus the AbD extras, totally worth it to me as well. Have fun planning your next Adventure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!