ABD Placeholder Question

blueschoo

Earning My Ears
Hi DIS Boards! We had originally booked an ABD trip back in 2016, and ultimately couldn't make the trip financially. The disney staff were very helpful in getting the trip pushed out - essentially we could move it to the furthest date out as a placeholder and keep pushing it as needed year after year. Until today, when I called and was told that their policy had changed. They will only push it one more time, and then that's it and the date can't be changed again. I can't find any record of the policy change. I don't know how true this is - did I just get a bad agent and should call back, or is this actually the policy?

Ultimately we'd love to take a trip and have been trying to save for it ($12k is a lot). It would be awful to lose the over $2k deposit. Our son was born in the interim and isn't of age for a few years. I feel pretty stuck and frustrated with them right now. I appreciate any advice on whether you've dealt with something similar. Thanks so much!

I believe the policy changed some time ago, but I've only had a deposit placeholder once back in 2015, and it was for less than a year, then I used it. So I wasn't paying that close of attention to the policy. I'm sure someone else here will know more.

I would call back and ask to talk to a Supervisor. I'd stress that you now have a child that is too young to travel with ABD, and is there *any* way they can push it off until the child is of age?

Sayhello

I'm surprised that the older trip doesn't fall under the old policies still. Perhaps the agent didn't realize it was an old reservation when you were advised that? As I recall ABD changed their policies between when you made the reservation and now and I think the old ones still apply to old reservations.

Another suggestion would be to go forward with the trip as planned with the people who were originally planning to go and leave your youngest with family members. It would probably make it less stressful than trying to travel with him even when he is first of age. We have done a lot of ABDs and there are often not full families on the trips because some kids are too young, or older and too busy to join the rest of the family. Next year were are doing our first split-family ABD since my younger daughter can't leave that week due to school commitments. She will stay behind with grandparents.

That is the new policy. I think it still applies to old reservations- but they will let you change it one more time.

Use the placeholder funds to book an Adults-only ABD trip (maybe a less expensive one).
Pushing back your deposit just devalues what you put in (you're giving ABD a zero interest loan), so figure a way to use it up.

Then start saving for your dream trip with the whole family!
Financing a pleasure trip never makes sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter