ABD Southern California Spending money

Capitalangel

Mouseketeer
I am a newbie to ABD and am joining the Dis exclusive trip to Southern California/ Disneyland next October. For those that have gone about how much out of pocket did you spend on non included meals, at the Studio Store, Imagineering, etc? I know souvenirs are all personal spending habits but since I can’t really get a ballpark of what and how much is available on the trip I figured I would ask here.

We didn't spend much. Perhaps $300/person? We aren't big eaters. However we do like to enjoy a glass of wine and small plates during our OYO time.

I took my son on this ABD last summer and I think $300 per person is reasonable too. This includes staying one pre-night in Hollywood and 2 post nights at the GC. Some of the expenditures included $300 for tips for the guides, $60 for a shirt and hat at Henson (they really don't have much - its an ad hoc set up on a table), only spent about $30 for a shirt at the Studios (they have a lot but not much unique stuff - the shirt had the Studios logo - I think they also took the D23 discount if you show your membership card), and about $30 at MOG (also for a polo shirt - ABD gives each person a voucher for 10% off one item - when we went they did not have much in limited editions or pins).

We also spent about $300 in food - $120 at Napa Rose, $60 at Steakhouse 55, and $65 at Trader Sams, and about $35 each at Cafe Orleans and Pixar Pier ( lobster nachos). I think most of these places gave us a 10% discount with my DVC card. I would suggest looking at the restaurant menu's and reviews so that you can plan. To me, Steakhouse 55 was the absolute best - BUT (and this is disappointing) it looks like ABD is removing the breakfast at Steakhouse 55 and replacing it with a quick service for next years ABD's. I also spent about $100 on bottled water and diet cokes too.

On our pre-day, we went to the El Capitan to see the Incredibles 2 movie - seeing a movie there was amazing - cost was $56 for 2 premium tickets - included popcorn and a drink. I also spent about $30 for Uber ($10 each way to the Grove/Farmers Market - don't miss Bob's Donuts).

Hope this helps - if you have any questions let me know - enjoy the ABD - its awesome!!!!!

I took my son on this ABD last summer and I think $300 per person is reasonable too. This includes staying one pre-night in Hollywood and 2 post nights at the GC. Some of the expenditures included $300 for tips for the guides, $60 for a shirt and hat at Henson (they really don't have much - its an ad hoc set up on a table), only spent about $30 for a shirt at the Studios (they have a lot but not much unique stuff - the shirt had the Studios logo - I think they also took the D23 discount if you show your membership card), and about $30 at MOG (also for a polo shirt - ABD gives each person a voucher for 10% off one item - when we went they did not have much in limited editions or pins).

We also spent about $300 in food - $120 at Napa Rose, $60 at Steakhouse 55, and $65 at Trader Sams, and about $35 each at Cafe Orleans and Pixar Pier ( lobster nachos). I think most of these places gave us a 10% discount with my DVC card. I would suggest looking at the restaurant menu's and reviews so that you can plan. To me, Steakhouse 55 was the absolute best - BUT (and this is disappointing) it looks like ABD is removing the breakfast at Steakhouse 55 and replacing it with a quick service for next years ABD's. I also spent about $100 on bottled water and diet cokes too.

On our pre-day, we went to the El Capitan to see the Incredibles 2 movie - seeing a movie there was amazing - cost was $56 for 2 premium tickets - included popcorn and a drink. I also spent about $30 for Uber ($10 each way to the Grove/Farmers Market - don't miss Bob's Donuts).

Hope this helps - if you have any questions let me know - enjoy the ABD - its awesome!!!!!
We recently got back from this itinerary, and agree with atlmgm but wanted to add that you're responsible for one dinner on the full day in Hollywood. The retail/restaurant complex at the hotel has several options for both TS and QS, and we were so full from lunch at TamOShanter and dessert (ABD paid for any one item at Ghirardelli) that we spent only a few dollars, but you should budget for that just in case.

Thanks for all the replies. It helps to know that MOG is not amazingly full of exclusive items ( good for my budget, bad for my Disney Geek side). I’ll plan around 500ish ( plus money for a possible splurge since this trip falls on my 40th Birthday) a person with wiggle room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter