• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Accessibility/GAC confusion, SueMn please help...

dislvr75

Mouseketeer
SueMn,

I have read many of your posts answering those that need info on GACs. I have always appreciated all of your advice. I have been confused however about accessibility issues and a GAC. Even though the Disney Guidebook says that there are a number of rides that offer main queue access to those with mobility issues (specifically those in a wheelchair) all of the times I've been to Disneyland and WDW I have never seen a wheelchair in a line. They do not allow strollers in the queques (of course because it would get too congested) but I also thought it was because most wheelchairs couldn't navigate the turns and corners of most queue railings. My son has Spina Bifida, he wears AFO's and uses crutches. He cannot walk or stand for long periods of time, which is why we always bring his Convaid Cruiser (which unfortunately looks a lot like a stroller). I have always gotten a GAC because of the Convaid Cruiser (even though his braces do give you a hint of his limited physical ability) it makes it easier just in case anyone questions that it is indeed his wheelchair. We have always used alternate entrances for almost every ride, we followed the wheelchair symbol, usually right up the exit, to wait to ride. Why are so many rides listed as main queue accessibile by wheelchair when some of those same rides have alternate entrances, with a wheelchair sign with an arrow, pointing for you to go to the exit, for which we have used a GAC?

I just thought of something else. I think another reason they allow wheelchairs in the exit is because many rides board in one location and exit at another. With main queue access, the wheelchair would be left stranded across the track, or down the hall if we left it at the boarding area, at least boarding at the exit ensures that when he completes the ride, he'll be able to get back into his chair. For many of the rides listed as "main queue access" we did just that to ensure his wheels would be where he needed them when the ride was done. Why the confusion here?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments related to this issue. I love the opportunity the DisBoards give us to gain and share information!

dislvr75 said:
Even though the Disney Guidebook says that there are a number of rides that offer main queue access to those with mobility issues (specifically those in a wheelchair) all of the times I've been to Disneyland and WDW I have never seen a wheelchair in a line
Disneyland has a lot more queues that are not wheelchair accessible, so you probably would not see as many wheelchair/ecv users in lines there.
We have personally been in most of the Mainstream queues at WDW and have seen people in the Mainstream lines using wheelchairs/ecvs. Even though we do have a GAC for our DD, if the regular line is 15 minutes or less, we don't use the GAC at all.
They do not allow strollers in the queques (of course because it would get too congested) but I also thought it was because most wheelchairs couldn't navigate the turns and corners of most queue railings.
Strollers are not in most queues because when people board the rides, there would be no place to store all the strollers(plus a lot exit at a place different that they boarded). Also most of the "attraction" things like Living Seas, the Land would get very congested inside with all the strollers. So anyone who needs to use a stroller in line or inside attraction buildings needs to get a GAC.
All the Fastpass lines and most of the regular lines at WDW are wide enough for a wheelchair. Some are kind of twisty, but do-able. Some (like Living Seas) are difficult with an ecv or power wheelchair, but can be done.
There are some long queues that allow strollers up to a certain point and then there is a stroller parrking lot (examples would be the Safari, Fantasmic, Bug's Life).
We have always used alternate entrances for almost every ride, we followed the wheelchair symbol, usually right up the exit, to wait to ride. Why are so many rides listed as main queue accessibile by wheelchair when some of those same rides have alternate entrances, with a wheelchair sign with an arrow, pointing for you to go to the exit, for which we have used a GAC?
I think the ones you are thinking of are Mainstream Access to a certain point, but they are rides that board at the exit (if you have a wheelchair or mobility concern). Usually the "pull off" point where the wheelchair sign is located is pretty close to the regular boarding area. Ones I can think of that are like that include Buzz Lightyear and Splash Mountain. So, since for most of the wait you are in the regular (Mainstream) line, they are Mainstream Access (usually until it's physically impossible for a wheelchair to continue).
I just thought of something else. I think another reason they allow wheelchairs in the exit is because many rides board in one location and exit at another. With main queue access, the wheelchair would be left stranded across the track, or down the hall if we left it at the boarding area, at least boarding at the exit ensures that when he completes the ride, he'll be able to get back into his chair. For many of the rides listed as "main queue access" we did just that to ensure his wheels would be where he needed them when the ride was done. Why the confusion here?
You are right. That is one of the reasons. Someone with mobility problems is going to need their wheelchair, ecv or special stroller at the exit when they get off. They can't go back to the entrance to look for it.
A couple of other reasons for boarding at the exit:
  • some rides have moving walkways for boarding and unloading. Most of them can be slowed or stopped for boarding, but the CM who has best control of that is at the exit. The exit CMs also track what ride car you were on so that when you get back to the exit, they can slow or stop the ride for you to get off. (Sometimes they forget, or the CMs switch assignments while you are inside. We once had to ride Buzz Lightyear 3 times because they forgot to let us off and that ride involves the CM opening part of the wheelchair car to let you roll off!!)
  • some rides have "gates" at the regular boarding area that are used to keep people in a single file line for boarding. Those are an obstacle for someone who needs assistance or needs a wheelchair right until they board.
  • some rides allow limited number of people with disabilities/special needs to be on the ride at the same time. That's usually because of evacuation/fire safety rules. Sometimes, if there are no people with special needs on at the time, the CM will bring someone with special needs directly in from the regular line. There are also times when there are too many people with special needs already on/in line. That's happened to us when we got to Haunted Mansion. The CM gave us a slip with a time written down to come back.

A lengthy question merits a lengthy response, thanks for all of your info! I truly appreciate your insight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter