Accessible Minnie Van Availability?

I tend to tip 20-25%.
Some of the Minnie Van drivers are on the Disney college program (was an option my son could have picked for his extension). I don't know how they handle the tips to the drivers but I'm sure those kids would appreciate it because they don't make much extra typically after paying rent and expenses and probably the PT/FT drivers don't either.

Some of the Minnie Van drivers are on the Disney college program (was an option my son could have picked for his extension). I don't know how they handle the tips to the drivers but I'm sure those kids would appreciate it because they don't make much extra typically after paying rent and expenses and probably the PT/FT drivers don't either.
Unfortunately, if it is like Lyft in California, the drivers get about 10%-20% of what you leave for a tip, if they get it at all. Lyft really isn’t a very good company overall, neither is Uber, but they are what’s available.

Tip pooling waiters put all their tips in a jar and divide them equally

Tip splitting, I may have the wrong term, waiters split their tips with busboys, bartenders etc. Some states it's illegal for salaried employees such as managers to share "steal" tips.

Neither apply to ride share.

Lyft claims 100% of tip are given to the driver.

I don't think this is still true, it used to be

Assume the driver works 10 hours. Driver pay requirement is, pick a number, say $20 per hour. Assume $75 in tips. Driver is guaranteed $200. The company owes the driver $125. Technically the driver keeps 100% of his tips BUT not really.

I thought that practice stopped.

I’ve never used Lyft/Minnie Vans…how much do you tip? Percentage? Set dollar amount? Thanks ahead of time. 😁
I tip accessible MV drivers $5/mobility device as I feel that’s extra effort for them dealing with those.

I don’t tip regular MVs as I feel part of the massive premium I’m paying over regular rideshares covers what a normal rideshare driver needs tips to help cover.

If I had kids and used the MV car seats I would tip as that’s extra effort, similar to a mobility device.

When I travel and use Lyft/Uber I always carry some extra cash. I ALWAYS tip in the app, but if service is really great I tip extra in cash. Sadly I tip extra less and less it seems as service level has just gone down across the board. When we used the Minnie Van for my wife/scooter we did the same, as the driver was wonderful, friendly and fun.

I can't speak specifically to the comment about Lyft in California... but it's likely considered tip pooling to share with other positions. In general tip pooling is not illegal.
Tip pooling is illegal in California, but what other positions would deserve the tip in a Lyft consideration?

Tip pooling is illegal in California, but what other positions would deserve the tip in a Lyft consideration?
I only know CA law based on Google, but tip pooling is legal in CA as long as managers with authority to hire/fire are not included in the pool.
As to who deserves a tip? No idea because I don’t use ride share services. But technically only positions that are not paid minimum wage are officially “tipped” regardless of the fact that US culture tends to tip any number of workers regardless of their pay structure. In my state, ride share drivers are paid at least minimum wage.

I’ll just add that my son is a dishwasher at a restaurant in the Aulani resort area and he gets part of the tips the servers receive. He also gets paid minimum wage. But this is Hawaii and minimum wage barely covers gas here!

I only know CA law based on Google, but tip pooling is legal in CA as long as managers with authority to hire/fire are not included in the pool.
As to who deserves a tip? No idea because I don’t use ride share services. But technically only positions that are not paid minimum wage are officially “tipped” regardless of the fact that US culture tends to tip any number of workers regardless of their pay structure. In my state, ride share drivers are paid at least minimum wage.
California requires minimum wage before tipping and the courts have recently ruled tip pooling in California is illegal.

I just tip in cash, drivers prefer it. That way I know they are getting 100%. I have 5 star ratings on both Uber and Lyft.

Do you have a link?
https://www.worklawyers.com/tip-pooling-california-law/

Google suggests tip pooling is legal in CA, obviously with restrictions.
Now, it was a story on the news on the radio when it happened and was recent. But honestly, tip pooling would be wrong for a ride share company anyway, the driver would be the only person that found conceivably deserve a tip.

Also, just on a side note, always compare Uber and Lyft rates worth traditional Taxi Cabs, out here taxi cabs are often less expensive. Ow because of how higher Uber and Lyft have raised their rates. This is even more true for accessible rides.

Now, it was a story on the news on the radio when it happened and was recent. But honestly, tip pooling would be wrong for a ride share company anyway, the driver would be the only person that found conceivably deserve a tip.

Also, just on a side note, always compare Uber and Lyft rates worth traditional Taxi Cabs, out here taxi cabs are often less expensive. Ow because of how higher Uber and Lyft have raised their rates. This is even more true for accessible rides.
You misheard the radio report. Tip pooling is legal in CA. Ride Share drivers generally get 100% of their tips. Do you have any reliable source for your 10-20% figure? Out of thin air?

You're right tip pooling has nothing to do with ride share drivers.

Many,.probably most, places taxi drivers own.(or lease) their vehicles and are independent contractors. Expenses are similar. Thats why ride share rates, many areas, are similar to taxi.

NYC some taxi drivers also pick up ride share passengers

Er, I thought someone said Minnie Van drivers are Disney employees, Cast Members making a typical CM wage? Even though the service is coordinated via Lyft, it's not Lyft rideshare drivers who drive the MVs, it's Disney employees.

Is that true, or was that poster mistaken? I tip either way, for me it isn't about tips it's about feeling safer with Disney CMs than with a random ride share driver.

Er, I thought someone said Minnie Van drivers are Disney employees, Cast Members making a typical CM wage? Even though the service is coordinated via Lyft, it's not Lyft rideshare drivers who drive the MVs, it's Disney employees.

Is that true, or was that poster mistaken? I tip either way, for me it isn't about tips it's about feeling safer with Disney CMs than with a random ride share driver.
Correct, Minnie Van drivers are Disney CMs, employed by Disney not by Lyft.

To OPs q- on my trip last week we used accessible Minnie vans a few times. The wait times varied from 10 mins to 40 mins, I gave up once after we hadn’t been assigned one after like 20 mins. By around 7:30am it started to be hard to get them but if you have time to be patient you can still book it when it says limited availability. You just won’t see your car info for 5-20 mins and even then the car could be 20 mins out. Overall we only had a long wait once and only once could we not get one. We did not try for them at park close or right after any nighttime spectaculars.

We did learn they have gotten/are getting a couple new accessible MVs. These new ones will continue to hold 2 ECVs. There are seats for 5 people if the ECV/WC user stays in their seat. They come with 1 car seat, the car seat can be stowed elsewhere if you have a 5th person who needs the seat.

Also interesting- one of our drivers told us there is always at least 1 Accessible MV running. It might be too busy to book but there is always at least 1. If they cannot run at least 1 Accessible MV the entire MV program is closed until they can get one running again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter