Accomodation for repeat measuring of child?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WonderlandisReality

DIS Veteran
So we have (and will continue to work on) practicing life skills for my SN kids.
There appears to be one situation that is not getting better...it's getting worse whenever we face a situation we will almost certainly encounter at Disney.
Youngest child is OK (not fantastic) with incidental/accidental bumps in line by other kids. She's small in height for age. If she continues on her current curve she will be ~45-46" at our planned trip. She will be measured a lot. Last weekend we went to indoor waterslide park. She got measured a lot. UNTIL she lost it completely from the staff lifeguards touching her and we had a near-miss assault. She couldn't handle being touched by anybody strange anymore at that point.
Honestly, except for that, she did much better than I thought for the crowds. Waterpark did a work-around where I measured her (one last time) and the lifeguard watched me put a red wristband on her with the height. We just flashed it for the rest of the weekend.
It's actually a good thing for her that she is becoming less tolerant of strangers touching her. And more tolerant of family. But obviously, I also don't want to see anyone getting hurt while they are just doing their job. Does Disney have a similar work-around for a one time measure? Will a CM allow me to do it at the ride entrance if they are right there watching? Not trying to get around safety rules at all, just don't want to put an unsuspecting cast member in a situation with a unpredictable kid.

Does Disney have a similar work-around for a one time measure?

Not as far as I understand, no. They simply can't, because too many people try to cheat the system, and the height requirement is a Serious Safety Issue. Sometimes there are even multiple height-checks while in the queues, and yes, CM's have to check themselves, repeatedly.

Definitely start practicing with her - the posture, that she NEEDS to actually hit her head on the bar, etc.

Also, you are your tallest in the morning, so schedule those rides FIRST, if they are dealbreakers if she doesn't get to ride them.

Not as far as I understand, no. They simply can't, because too many people try to cheat the system, and the height requirement is a Serious Safety Issue. Sometimes there are even multiple height-checks while in the queues, and yes, CM's have to check themselves, repeatedly.

Definitely start practicing with her - the posture, that she NEEDS to actually hit her head on the bar, etc.

Also, you are your tallest in the morning, so schedule those rides FIRST, if they are dealbreakers if she doesn't get to ride them.

Unfortunate, but understandable. Don't get why people would game the system to put lives in danger. And she's not at a level to understand ride "deal breakers" so that's one saving grace. There's way more than enough to do at Disney.

Follow up question: If it's obvious...(like she's 4-6" over the height requirement) they won't try to measure her will they? If it comes to it, I might save the close ones to potentially better mood moments.

If it's obvious she's over the height requirement, they won't measure her. Most of the height requirements at the major parks are 40in or under. I'd just stay away from the rides with 44in requirements. If I'm remembering correctly, those are Space Mountain, Expedition Everest, and Mission: Space (although i think there might have been a change on that for the green side after the last refurb). Also, Flight of Passage at AK may be 44in.

There are other rides with 48in requirements so just be aware of which ones those are to bypass them.

One daughter was 42.5” and I think only once or twice did she get measured for a 40” ride. She did get measured for mission space to verify that she was under 44” and needed the booster. The other was 45.5” and didn’t get measured for 44” rides. Since they do this all day they seem to have a pretty good eye about who is close and who isn’t.

Unfortunate, but understandable. Don't get why people would game the system to put lives in danger. And she's not at a level to understand ride "deal breakers" so that's one saving grace. There's way more than enough to do at Disney.

Follow up question: If it's obvious...(like she's 4-6" over the height requirement) they won't try to measure her will they? If it comes to it, I might save the close ones to potentially better mood moments.

I have seen some CM ask a child to stand next to the stick they use to messer someone and when it is ovuse the child is over the hight then the CMwill just say ok and let the child in. So depending on the CM they may want her to stand next to it but the only time they will touch her is if it is close and you can just let the CM know she does not like people besides us touching
her and ask if you can show them she is touching the board.

As other posters mentioned, there is no accommodation for measuring. It is just not something WDW is willing to bend on for safety reasons. They actually tried doing wristbands for all kids for height for a while, but stopped very quickly. The main reason I read was that people tried yo scam it by getting a talles child measured, then transferring the band to a smaller child.

The only ones they are likely to measure her for would be the ones where she is close. Most of the attractions either don’t have a height requirement or it is less than 44.
The height restrictions are marked on the park maps and also at a sign at each attraction. These are the ones with height restrictions. She might be close only for the 44 inch ones, so would be measured only for those.

Magic Kingdom:
Space Mountain = 44 inches
Splash Mountain & Big Thunder Mountain = 40 inches
7 Dwarfs Mine Train = 38 inches.(many people think it’s higher)

Studio:
Rock & Roller Coaster = 48 inches, so at 45, she won’t be riding it.
Star Tours & Tower of Terror = 40 inches

Epcot:
Mission Space = 44 inches for Orange (more intense)
Mission Space = 40 inches for Green (less intense)
Test Track & Soarin’ = 40 inches

Animal Kingdom:
Flight of Passage = 44 inches
Expedition Everest = 44 inches

Last edited:

43716E4F-B0EA-44F0-BF63-BD91BBC34527.jpeg A64A1F8B-D6C7-48A9-A040-AFF942328362.jpeg 61F106A7-4E32-4583-A22F-3E53B35D34FB.jpegThese are pictures I found online of some of the measuring sticks at WDW, just yo give you a visual. They are outside of attractions, so you can practice if you want.

For the ones where she might be close, encourage her to stand up straight and try to hit her head on the bar (most kids instinctively try not to hit it. The girl in the second picture is obviously not close to touching, but I put her picture because her head is down - if she was close, the CM would want it flat and might touch the chin to have her lift her head (so she is holding it to look straight ahead).

You (or she) can also tell the CMs that she doesn’t like to be touched. As long as the top of he head hits the bar, she should be good to go without the CM doing anything besides watching.

Last edited:

if she is close would be when she would possibly have a CM try to help her make the height. I would make a measuring stick out of a yard stick and a ruler making an upside down large L. practice having her hit her head on the on the ruler. she will get a lot less CM help if she walks up with her head up and acts like she knows what she is doing. it is the kids that slump down so they do not hit the bar that get the help. if she is 44 or 46 for a 40 ride she most likely not made to go to bar but if 42 for a 40 be prepared to be measured. also if measured at beginning of line she could be measured a second time at loading and yes it has happened to us. if fact he didn't get to ride even though he made first measure

She got measured a lot. UNTIL she lost it completely from the staff lifeguards touching her and we had a near-miss assault.

Don’t let them touch her. In all our time at Disney and Universal parks since 2005 there has only been ONE CM who has ever touched DS. I don’t think it’s something they normally do. Just pay attention and if it looks like they are going to bring up her chin or something verbally stop them. (Or let her react physically. The cm might learn to not touch. They shouldn’t imo be doing that anyway.)

View attachment 304555 View attachment 304495 View attachment 304496 View attachment 304555 View attachment 304495 View attachment 304496 These are pictures I found online of some of the measuring sticks at WDW, just yo give you a visual. They are outside of attractions, so you can practice if you want.

For the ones where she might be close, encourage her to stand up straight and try to hit her head on the bar (most kids instinctively try not to hit it. The girl in the second picture is obviously not close to touching, but I put her picture because her head is down - if she was close, the CM would want it flat and might touch the chin to have her lift her head (so she is holding it to look straight ahead).

You (or she) can also tell the CMs that she doesn’t like to be touched. As long as the top of he head hits the bar, she should be good to go without the CM doing anything besides watching.

Thanks for posting the pictures. It's been several years since my kids were that young but I was thinking that they don't actually touch the kids, just have them stand by the "stick". It should not be an issue.

I rarely see a CM touch a child during a measurement. I think it only happens if the child is almost tall enough and they check by sliding a card or piece of paper between the child's head and the top of the stick (Which I have never witnessed). I agree with other posters who say to practice at home. I would make a game out of it and make your own measure stick (unless the child will insist on only be measured with that stick, LOL).

I think it only happens if the child is almost tall enough and they check by sliding a card or piece of paper between the child's head and the top of the stick (Which I have never witnessed).

The Cm that had his hands on ds did that, but it was along with pushing ds’s shoulder down. It was a combo.

And pushing on his shoulder caused my son to think that he was supposed to slouch. Which caused him to not get in a ride he was righteously tall enough for.

Don’t let them touch her. In all our time at Disney and Universal parks since 2005 there has only been ONE CM who has ever touched DS. I don’t think it’s something they normally do. Just pay attention and if it looks like they are going to bring up her chin or something verbally stop them. (Or let her react physically. The cm might learn to not touch. They shouldn’t imo be doing that anyway.)
child being allowed to react physically to a CM would be a good way to be removed from park and possibly from resorts also. yes nicely tell CM and if it is close yes the CM might touch your child by slipping something between head and bar which is allowed

In hundreds of visits to DL with 3 kids over 13 years I can’t recall a single time a CM actually put a hand on my kids to measure them. I would have definitely said something, that is completely unnecessary. If the child can’t stand up straight and reach the bar on their own then they aren’t tall enough.

I will say though, I also err on the side of caution and don’t try to stretch my kids into rides they are questionable for, and I cringe when I see people doing it. If she’s not measuring the full 44” or wherever it is barefoot at home with a measuring tape, then we aren’t even going to get in line with her. Those height limits are for their safety and the safety of other guests around them. It’s not worth it.

I will say though, I also err on the side of caution and don’t try to stretch my kids into rides they are questionable for, and I cringe when I see people doing it. If she’s not measuring the full 44” or wherever it is barefoot at home with a measuring tape, then we aren’t even going to get in line with her. Those height limits are for their safety and the safety of other guests around them. It’s not worth it.

I wish every guest thought like you. I can not tell you how many times I have seen parents but things in their kid shew so that they can be tell enough to ride something

No, they shouldn't touch, unless for a safety reason, of course. But I hope you are kidding about 'letting her react physically'. That would such an irresponsible thing for a parent to do - that would be putting a child at risk.

Of course I’m joking. What the heck do y’all think of me?

That said....

child being allowed to react physically to a CM would be a good way to be removed from park and possibly from resorts also.

For the actions of a child?? Kids do all sorts of things. I was in fact joking above (though a *spontaneous* issue like that would likely cure the cm from touching kids) but I doubt if a kid’s behaviors (especially if caused by a CM touching) would cause ejection. Gosh. CMs understand kids, for the most part. What do we think of Disney???

Just blathering.....
My kid nearly broke my nose when he was toddler. Before we figured out his corn syrup issue he would suddenly rage terrifyingly and I couldn’t reliably stop him. (Trying to physically restrain him one day at home is what got me the headbutt to the nose)

Thankfully the Star Tours CM-pushing-down-on-shoulder incident was far enough into the “oh... corn syrup is the issue” year that DS wasn’t “on” an uncrustable (corn syrup and HFCS) or dole whip (it used to have corn syrup solids) and was quite reasonable. Though he was always so tired at Disneyland that his reaction stuck with obliviously running around in circles, not the violence he exhibited (upon me, generally) at home and local zoos. But there’s nowhere to run at the second measuring stick at Disneyland’s star tours!

I want to let the OP know that IF the CM is going to touch the child they’ll likely do it fast. DH didn’t realize what the CM was about to do, and felt that the whole thing happened so fast he couldn’t mitigate the problem or even tell the CM to get his mitts off DS. (I was off doing something else and not in line with them)

So be on guard and proactive to just avoid the whole issue altogether.

Of course I’m joking. What the heck do y’all think of me?

That said....

For the actions of a child?? Kids do all sorts of things. I was in fact joking above (though a *spontaneous* issue like that would likely cure the cm from touching kids) but I doubt if a kid’s behaviors (especially if caused by a CM touching) would cause ejection. Gosh. CMs understand kids, for the most part. What do we think of Disney???

Just blathering.....
My kid nearly broke my nose when he was toddler. Before we figured out his corn syrup issue he would suddenly rage terrifyingly and I couldn’t reliably stop him. (Trying to physically restrain him one day at home is what got me the headbutt to the nose)

Thankfully the Star Tours CM-pushing-down-on-shoulder incident was far enough into the “oh... corn syrup is the issue” year that DS wasn’t “on” an uncrustable (corn syrup and HFCS) or dole whip (it used to have corn syrup solids) and was quite reasonable. Though he was always so tired at Disneyland that his reaction stuck with obliviously running around in circles, not the violence he exhibited (upon me, generally) at home and local zoos. But there’s nowhere to run at the second measuring stick at Disneyland’s star tours!

I want to let the OP know that IF the CM is going to touch the child they’ll likely do it fast. DH didn’t realize what the CM was about to do, and felt that the whole thing happened so fast he couldn’t mitigate the problem or even tell the CM to get his mitts off DS. (I was off doing something else and not in line with them)

So be on guard and proactive to just avoid the whole issue altogether.

Well, the way this post is worded, and the other one as well, it's hard to tell - "tell the CM to get his mitts off' firs in pretty well with the arrogant tone of your last post as well. So, while you may be just kidding, your tone is not showing that, so that's why we are taking you seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter