Activating an annual pass on a blocked off day

arichau

Mouseketeer
Hi,

My family is not local so the Flex Pass with the limit of 2 reservations would be a bit risky for us (we usually go for 4 or 5 days once a year). We have had Deluxe APs before that we used to cover 2 trips. We are thinking of doing that again but have a question.

The first day of our trip this summer is blocked day for Disneyland only. I ran into a few posts on the Disney Moms panel that said they usually let you - on your first day only of activating the pass - go to parks that are blocked off. Some posts said this in a way that sounded like this was true only if you bought the AP that same day. Other posts made it seems like if you bought in advance it would still work out (again JUST for that first day) of activation.

I was curious if anyone has done this before. Worst case for us is that we could only go to DCA on our first day - which is not a disaster - OK, it is to my tween but she'll get over it :)

I know we can also pay for park hoppers and upgrade to passes Sunday night or later in the trip BUT this (I think) would cause us to lose a bit of money we paid for MaxPass on the days we used the parkhoppers (we are going to do MaxPass every day I think because I really love it). But maybe not? Maybe they credit you for that money as well? Overall hoping to avoid the ticket booth but would love to hear everyone's opinions.

If anyone has experience with the first-day activation of APs on a blocked off day let me know! And TIA!!

Hi,

My family is not local so the Flex Pass with the limit of 2 reservations would be a bit risky for us (we usually go for 4 or 5 days once a year). We have had Deluxe APs before that we used to cover 2 trips. We are thinking of doing that again but have a question.

The first day of our trip this summer is blocked day for Disneyland only. I ran into a few posts on the Disney Moms panel that said they usually let you - on your first day only of activating the pass - go to parks that are blocked off. Some posts said this in a way that sounded like this was true only if you bought the AP that same day. Other posts made it seems like if you bought in advance it would still work out (again JUST for that first day) of activation.

I was curious if anyone has done this before. Worst case for us is that we could only go to DCA on our first day - which is not a disaster - OK, it is to my tween but she'll get over it :)

I know we can also pay for park hoppers and upgrade to passes Sunday night or later in the trip BUT this (I think) would cause us to lose a bit of money we paid for MaxPass on the days we used the parkhoppers (we are going to do MaxPass every day I think because I really love it). But maybe not? Maybe they credit you for that money as well? Overall hoping to avoid the ticket booth but would love to hear everyone's opinions.

If anyone has experience with the first-day activation of APs on a blocked off day let me know! And TIA!!
My understanding is that if you buy the tickets direct through Disney with MaxPass at the time of purchase, the full amount of the purchase is credited toward your upgrade. If you buy it day-by-day, it will not be credited.

My understanding is that if you buy the tickets direct through Disney with MaxPass at the time of purchase, the full amount of the purchase is credited toward your upgrade. If you buy it day-by-day, it will not be credited.
This depends on the CM you get.

Can’t you just buy your pass that day?

We can and that's what we are planning to do. I was hoping to hear from someone that this was still accurate info. If someone confirmed that they didn't let people in on blocked off days on the first day even when you buy the pass that day we'd buy our passes in advance to avoid the ticket booth.

I wonder if having a two park block-out calendar has affected this. As others have said, you used to be able to go into the parks if you activated an AP on a blockout day, but in the past, both parks were blocked out on the same schedule. With the new calendar, I wonder if this has changed now that the day is technically not completely blocked out for your pass.

We can and that's what we are planning to do. I was hoping to hear from someone that this was still accurate info. If someone confirmed that they didn't let people in on blocked off days on the first day even when you buy the pass that day we'd buy our passes in advance to avoid the ticket booth.

Just to be clear- you may not be avoiding the ticket booth. Even if you buy the pass in advance you may still need to go to the booth to get the physical pass if you want to be able to use it for discounts or paper FastPass machines. You mentioned that you've had passes before so maybe they will attach your pass to your existing pass cards (if you still have them) but I'm not sure if even that could/would be done in the app.

I read your post to mean you don't yet have tickets purchased. I think the current safest bets would be in this order:

1) Buy tickets direct from Disney with Maxpass (since you plan to use it every day). Then upgrade at the end of the first (blockout) as you exit the parks, at the booth.

2) (a VERY close 2nd) Buy discount tickets from a reputable vendor. Some of them recently started offering Maxpass, just like Disney direct. Then upgrade at end of day 1, same as #1.

3) If arriving Saturday night: Visit ticket booths and see if you can upgrade for activation starting Sunday, WITH a blockout pass. If not available, do not upgrade (yet). I would not want to waste time in ticket booth line Sunday morning.

4) Use Parkhopper and purchase Maxpass on day 1. Hope they will credit you for that day's Maxpass at the end of day, when you upgrade. There was a report of this recently in the Flex Pass thread. But I think it's risky.

Good links:
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/maxpass/*Read fine print, paragraph 3 - No credit for Maxpass purchased through the app. Again, there was a recent report of a family being credited $15 per ticket, same day. Maybe pixie dust.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq/annual-passes/blockout-day-ticket/This states that Blockout Tickets are no longer available. But that may only apply to "purchase" of Blockout Tickets, which were discounted from a 1-day ticket. I have previously read when you have a Parkhopper in hand, you can't be "blocked out" regardless of what time of day you upgrade. But I just don't know if that holds true with all the changes. And I would make absolutely certain the booth CM is on the same page, before starting the upgrade process. Again... upgrading at the end of the night, your way back to the hotel eliminates the blockout issue. And, the lines should be short. The drawback is, you can't use your AP discounts on Day 1.

I wonder if having a two park block-out calendar has affected this. As others have said, you used to be able to go into the parks if you activated an AP on a blockout day, but in the past, both parks were blocked out on the same schedule. With the new calendar, I wonder if this has changed now that the day is technically not completely blocked out for your pass.

This is an excellent question! I wouldn't blame them for saying we should just go into the park that's not blocked off for this pass.

Should be able to go on a blockout day, even Christmas, because there is no difference other than the pass discounts to buying a park hopper day pass, then upgrading at the end of the day. Still have to go to the ticket booth.

The reasoning for allowing people to enter on a blocked day was to start the pass and get a picture done. Since this can be done at DCA, I don't see why they'd allow DL now.

Interesting! If I try and it works or doesn't I'll update. We'll either get lucky and be able to use the AP in both parks that day or buy a park hopper and then upgrade.

Interesting! If I try and it works or doesn't I'll update. We'll either get lucky and be able to use the AP in both parks that day or buy a park hopper and then upgrade.

I recently purchased a one-day park hopper with MaxPass through the app and then upgraded to an AP through the app. The full amount I paid for both the park hopper AND MaxPass were credited toward my AP price. No need to go to a ticket booth.

But be aware, I upgraded to a Flex Pass while in CA, left for 30 mins to go back to the hotel room, and then tried to get back in again. I was turned away bc I was required to get a reservation for that day in the park. This make me think you may not be able to get into Disneyland if you are outside of the park and upgrade before you are done for the day. Now, if you upgrade while IN Disneyland (and don’t plan on leaving and coming back again), it won’t affect you.

I recently purchased a one-day park hopper with MaxPass through the app and then upgraded to an AP through the app. The full amount I paid for both the park hopper AND MaxPass were credited toward my AP price. No need to go to a ticket booth.

But be aware, I upgraded to a Flex Pass while in CA, left for 30 mins to go back to the hotel room, and then tried to get back in again. I was turned away bc I was required to get a reservation for that day in the park. This make me think you may not be able to get into Disneyland if you are outside of the park and upgrade before you are done for the day. Now, if you upgrade while IN Disneyland (and don’t plan on leaving and coming back again), it won’t affect you.
So long as reservations are still available, I'm pretty sure you can either go online, add your Flex AP to your Disney.Com account, and book a reservation for that day, or you can also do it through the app. Why they won't just do it when you actually upgrade, is beyond me. Would cause a major headache if for some reason that day is full, and they refuse to let you back in the park you've already been in that day, and would not have had this problem but for the upgrade.

I think they're focused on being very strict for future days when reservations have run out, and putting a hard cap on those who did not make a reservation. But they need to fix this at least for those who upgrade at the park, from a pass that would ordinarily be valid, because it's completely unfair.

So long as reservations are still available, I'm pretty sure you can either go online, add your Flex AP to your Disney.Com account, and book a reservation for that day, or you can also do it through the app. Why they won't just do it when you actually upgrade, is beyond me. Would cause a major headache if for some reason that day is full, and they refuse to let you back in the park you've already been in that day, and would not have had this problem but for the upgrade.

I think they're focused on being very strict for future days when reservations have run out, and putting a hard cap on those who did not make a reservation. But they need to fix this at least for those who upgrade at the park, from a pass that would ordinarily be valid, because it's completely unfair.

I can attest to the fact that they will NOT let you back in the park if you upgrade while in the park, leave, and then try to reenter without a reservation. This happened to me and the reservation system was down when I tried to make a reservation after being turned away. It took me about 30 mins to get back in the park. And you cannot make a reservation through the ticket window. Only online or through the app.

Also be aware that the process of issuing a physical pass involves invalidating an older pass number and activating a new one, but the reservations don’t get transferred, at least not currrently. I bought the Flex AP online, reserved two days, and went to DCA in the morning. We thought we’d go pick up our physical passes while park hopping to avoid the lines, but once we got the passes and went to the DL gate, they didn’t find a reservation for the pass. I showed the reservation email with the code, but the CM still wasn’t able to find it and had to leave to look it up which took a while. Eventually we got in, but noticed our second reservation had also disappeared. Thankfully I was able to just rebook it. Beware that your reservations may not transfer to your physical pass.

I was just given this exact information from Guest Services today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter