Activities for Preschoolers (i.e. dance, soccer)

Nanu57v

The Tooth Fairy had a message here before.
My 3 year old has watched her 7 year old sister go to tap and ballet for her whole life, and she was always too little. Now that she's 3, she's actually old enough to enroll, but we are hesitant. Its $168 a semester (Sept -Jan) and aren't sure it would be worth it at this age. She isn't begging us to take classes or anything, only when her sister is doing it. We started her sister in dance at 4.5. Thoughts?

My DD started dance at age 2 1/2. She wasn't in day care so it was her first place to go for a "social" time. She loved it and it was a great way to get out a little energy. She is 6 now and getting ready to start her 5th year of dance. She still loves going to dance class. At age 3 we started her in a music preschool that had class 2 days a week for more social and music as she had been singing since practically before she could talk and it was clearly "her thing". It was the best thing we ever did for her. She absolutely flourished there and still goes back to visit and perform with the school she loved it so much. She also has kept friends from her time there even though they are all spread out at different schools now. She was singing solos on stage and loving it by the time she turned 4. I'd say if she is asking to start, she is ready and it is worth it.

If she's not asking to take dance classes and/or the tuition would be tough on your budget, then skip it for now.

If she's asking to take a class but you can't afford it, tell her she can start when she's 4, just like her sister did. In the meantime, maybe older sister can teach little sister some of the basics.

If she really wants to do it and you can afford it, go for it. DD13 started when she had just turned 3. The pictures from that first recital are priceless. I even saved her first pair of teeny tiny ballet slippers. DD has loved dance from day 1 and is still taking it.

Here is a picture of her at her first recital:

IMG_1187.jpg

And on the ride home from the recital:

Untitled.jpg

I miss those days!

I bet your child would really enjoy it, and if it is not a time crunch or a financial hardship, I'd go for it!

I've been doing paid, structured activities with my (almost) 3yo DS since he was about 10 months old (we started with gymboree). Now we do music, gymnastics and soccer. I'm a SAHM, and we do it because he loves being around other kids, and I enjoy letting him get his energy out in a constructive manner.

I'm sure the class is geared towards the attention span and physical abilities of pre-schoolers, so I wouldn't worry about that. Do you know any parents who currently have kids enrolled, maybe you could ask them if they think it is worth the time and money?

I agree if you can afford it do it - though is there something else she could do of her own? Maybe music lessons? If she's expressed interest in an instrument you could try that and then add the dance next year. :confused3

My two are both in preschool. My older DD has been in swim lessons for 2 yrs next month and in gymnastics for 16m (she'll be 5 in December). My younger DD has been in gymnastics for a yr next month and in swim lessons for 4m (she turned 3 in May). Swim lessons are $33 per session (2 months), and gymnastics is $48, both done at our local YMCA.

My problem with dance is not the cost of the classes but the additional cost of costumes that they wear once plus shoes and whatever else there is. I cannot justify the cost of the outfits they wear for the recitals, no matter how cute they are.

If you can afford the class, let her try it out. If she doesn't want to do it again, then try something else. It sounds like she's interested in giving it a chance!

Just a thought but if you have a.recreation center in your town try there. Ours has classes for little ones and they are like $30-60 for 10 wks, and hour a week. They have arts and crafts, dance, music, tumble time etc...

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

Our daughter started gymnastics at 2 1/2. (a couple months before she turned 3). We signed her up for the full year because our gym offered a monthly payment, that for us was much more budget friendly. She LOVED classes. We decided not to sign her up for summer classes because she would miss to many to make it smart for the price. She's been asking when she's going back for weeks. Thank goodness class starts again in September!

We went for gymnastics because the only cost outside of classes was the single leotard for the year. Plus we got to buy it wherever we wanted. No shoes, recital costs etc.

It was an awesome activity, and she had a great time.:yay:

My 3 year old has watched her 7 year old sister go to tap and ballet for her whole life, and she was always too little. Now that she's 3, she's actually old enough to enroll, but we are hesitant. Its $168 a semester (Sept -Jan) and aren't sure it would be worth it at this age. She isn't begging us to take classes or anything, only when her sister is doing it. We started her sister in dance at 4.5. Thoughts?

If you are hesitant for various reasons, I would start her off in a more casual recreational class for preschoolers for a year at the Y or a community center like the pp mentioned and see how she likes it and use that as a way to transition her to the type of program your older daughter is in. This is what we did with our 5 year old DD. I understand where you are coming from. I have two daughters and dance is a pricey extracurricular activity, especially as they get older :crazy2:. Good luck with whatever you decide. :thumbsup2

Thanks everyone! I asked her if she could go to any school what she would pick, and she said clown school so she can learn to be an elephant. :)

My dd started at 3 but tuition was not nearly that much. Maybe the Y has a beginner class for cheaper. Or tumbling.

PB did a session of dance at 2.5 to 3. She was crazy bored by then end of it but did like the performance at the end. We started gymnastics after that and have been in gym year round ever since (she's currently on PreTeam and practices 3 days a week).

Jelly is 3.5 and is slated to start soccer this fall. He was too young this past spring but is close enough to 4 that he can start and DH is a U6 coach so he's going in under the radar (our soccer association is pretty serious around here).

I thin actually that price is pretty cheap. If I read that right, it's 5months (Sept through January) for $168? That's less than $35 a month.

Our dd (3) started ballet and tap when she was getting ready to turn 3. She loved it at first, but we had issues with the teacher. Another parent and myself walked in on an episode where the teacher was yelling at the kids like they were 5th graders, instead of toddlers, and 5 out of the 7 girls in the class were balling their eyes out. Needless to say, dd didn't want to go back and I can't really blame her. I was refunded half the amount of the tuition along with 4 other parent's. She's been turned off to dance ever since. So we decided to try soccer and she loves it. Were getting ready to start our second year playing and she is so excited. I feel that if dd hadn't had such a bad experience with dance that she would have loved it and would still be doing it, but for now she has no interest in it.

I feel that if you think she will enjoy it, then go for it. There is nothing wrong with introducing some activities at this age. I understand that any activity, especially dance, can be pricey. We have looked into dance classes with another teacher and she actually offers a one month trial of classes. This allows the parent/teacher to decide whether or not their child is ready for classes at a fraction of the cost. If you can afford it, I say do it. Struture and activity are both great for older toddler's and preschoolers.

At that age, or even a bit older, neither of my girls did very well in dance classes. But they really enjoyed gymnastics, music and art so the dance thing was probably less a function of age than interest/ability. If she really wants to, and you think she's ready, and the money is in the budget (and IMO that's a great price for a session since around here I'd pay more for the same amount of time at most of my kids activities) I don't see why not. But if she isn't asking I'd probably hold off until she's 4. My girls were just more focused by then and got a lot more out of classes (plus at 3 a lot was still Mommy and Me stuff...we both preferred classes they went to themselves!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter