ADA accessible room shower temperature

nekonekoneko

(=^・^=)
I was recently at The Contemporary, Garden Wing, and had a great time! I did have one concern, and maybe you guys can shed some light for me.

I put in a room request for a room near the amenities and the main building because of mobility issues. I said an ADA accessible room wasn't necessary, but they gave me one, anyway.

The next day, I went to take a shower, and the water was rather cold. Even full hot wasn't enough. I thought maybe all the other guests took all the hot water, and let it be. Off to Epcot to have fun!

The day after that, same thing. I went to the front desk and asked about the shower temperature in my room. They said they'd have someone look into it. I said I'd be in the parks all day, so that was fine.

That night, I checked the water, still not hot. I went to the front desk, again, and they gave me another room. This one wasn't ADA compliant, but just down the hall from where I was staying. I checked that water, first, before going to bed, and it was hot!

So my question to you: does Disney, Florida Law, or Federal Law limit the temperate of the water in an ADA compliant room, or was there something wrong with the water in that room?

I have stayed in a few ADA rooms at Disney and none of them have had water that was not hot so I am guessing it was just your room.

Do you remember if it was just the shower that didn't get warm enough, or if the sink faucet had trouble as well. There's a couple of possible causes of this problem that i can think of...

1. It's possible that there was a hot water supply issue but those get fixed quick because they affect everyone on the floor (or some other segmentation). If the bathroom sink also stayed too cold then this is the likely cause.
  2. Shower and bath faucets have a pressure balance mechanism to prevent you from being scalded if someone flushes the toilet or whatever and these sometimes fail. This mechanism can sometimes fail and lead to water temp issues.
  3. Shower and bath faucets also have an adjustment to limit the maximum hot-cold water mix ratio to limit scalding. Adjusting this is a simple procedure. As it was an ADA room, it's possible a family with a young or even elderly guest requested maintenance adjust this. If that's the case, it's just as likely that nobody thought to set it back to a normal temperature range.

If this happens again, go by the Front Desk in person, and ask to have maintenance fix the issue asap. Then, if it is not fixed in a timely fashion, let the Front Desk know in person.

Do you remember if it was just the shower that didn't get warm enough, or if the sink faucet had trouble as well. There's a couple of possible causes of this problem that i can think of...

1. It's possible that there was a hot water supply issue but those get fixed quick because they affect everyone on the floor (or some other segmentation). If the bathroom sink also stayed too cold then this is the likely cause.
  2. Shower and bath faucets have a pressure balance mechanism to prevent you from being scalded if someone flushes the toilet or whatever and these sometimes fail. This mechanism can sometimes fail and lead to water temp issues.
  3. Shower and bath faucets also have an adjustment to limit the maximum hot-cold water mix ratio to limit scalding. Adjusting this is a simple procedure. As it was an ADA room, it's possible a family with a young or even elderly guest requested maintenance adjust this. If that's the case, it's just as likely that nobody thought to set it back to a normal temperature range.

The sink was also rather tepid. The room down the hall was just fine after the room change. When I went to the front desk to talk about the water temperature in the first room, they said an excited would go in to fix it. I don't know if they went in and found it to be "within normal parameters" or never went in.

If this happens again, go by the Front Desk in person, and ask to have maintenance fix the issue asap. Then, if it is not fixed in a timely fashion, let the Front Desk know in person.

I did talk to the front desk. They said engineering would come. That night, no change. I went to the front desk again, they gave me another room.

I’ve seen this mentioned before (in the resorts forum, I think) and the possibility was raised that it had to do with being an accessible room. I’m not sure if the front desk would know anything about it.

I’m not aware of anything in the ADA regulations that limit water temperature in accessible rooms.
There are plumbing rules in different states that limit the water temperature to no higher than 120 degrees F to prevent scalding. There are also requirements for hotels to have anti-scald mechanisms to avoid the temperature going up when things like toilet flushing occur.
But 96-102 F are considered to be comfortable temperatures for bathing. It’s possible your first room average temperature was closer to the 96 and the second was closer to 120. Both would be within normal limits.

The other thing we found staying in the same room was sometimes the shower water was hot right away when we turned it on and sometimes it seemed to take forever. It probably had to do with wate run in other places since we had variations in the same room on the same trip.

Hotel GM here. It has nothing to do with being an ADA room. Hotel showers do have a valve in them to protect you from being burnt. They can go bad at times and for safety reasons, they will slow/stop the hot water mix.

So they can go over time and part of a hotels preventive maintenance is to check those and replace as needed.

Just report it. Quick fix, but again nothing to do with ADA room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter