ADD-ON-ITIS

heynowirv

DIS Veteran
Just put a bid on a contract,SSR100 points,0-2018 2-2019 100-2020 I know it's kinda stripped but it's $94.PP.So I ask you fellow disorders what your thoughts are? Would you bid on this or pass it by?

I feel like these considerations, which are so easy to dwell on, are analogous to worrying about entry-points while investing in the stock market. It's easy to kick yourself for buying-in at a relative high, or for feeling spectacular for buying-in during a little dip, but once you step back and look at the entire trajectory the entry point becomes clear as much less important than we'd made it out to be. I doubt anyone foresees anything other than a relentless ongoing rise in DVC direct and resale prices for the original 14, such that we'll all look back in 5 years and say "Remember when we could buy SSR for $94PP?! I'd have bought as much as I could get my hands on!"

This of course presumes you actually need the points. I find myself guilty of wanting to buy more points for the sake of buying more points, and only then figuring out how to use them. I'm aware that this is a bit stupid. The right approach, I'm pretty sure, would be to decide on exactly how I'd be using them before buying (and then of course to decide whether the price is worth it for my anticipated usage).

Having not bought in yet in the first place, I can't speak to add-on-itis. However, I will say that the thing stopping us from original purchase is NOT the price per point initially (there are some sweet deals out there!). What's making us hesitate is the yearly maintenance fees. While buying 100 points at $94 would be a steal, we'd still be looking at paying $640 in maintenance fees for 35 years - with those fees increasing every year. The amount we'll pay in mf's will far outstrip our original buy-in cost, and there's the rub.

Not to mention the fact that our family would need at least 200 points to start, doubling those mf's to almost $1300 / year. I could rent a 6 bedroom luxury home offsite for a week each year just for the cost of the maintenance fees alone.:rolleyes2

Would be great to scoop up a resale deal, but I'm having a hard time justifying it...

Just put a bid on a contract,SSR100 points,0-2018 2-2019 100-2020 I know it's kinda stripped but it's $94.PP.So I ask you fellow disorders what your thoughts are? Would you bid on this or pass it by?
What's the UY? If it's an April UY, then maybe, although the contract is still pretty well stripped not kinda stripped. If it's a Dec UY, I'd hold off for another contract because you would be paying now for points you can't use for at least 10 months.

Having not bought in yet in the first place, I can't speak to add-on-itis. However, I will say that the thing stopping us from original purchase is NOT the price per point initially (there are some sweet deals out there!). What's making us hesitate is the yearly maintenance fees. While buying 100 points at $94 would be a steal, we'd still be looking at paying $640 in maintenance fees for 35 years - with those fees increasing every year. The amount we'll pay in mf's will far outstrip our original buy-in cost, and there's the rub.

Not to mention the fact that our family would need at least 200 points to start, doubling those mf's to almost $1300 / year. I could rent a 6 bedroom luxury home offsite for a week each year just for the cost of the maintenance fees alone.:rolleyes2

Would be great to scoop up a resale deal, but I'm having a hard time justifying it...

The beauty of the DVC point system is the flexibility as compared to other timeshares.
For the roughly the same points and MFs you reference above, we tend to use our points to get 15 to 20 Nights in a Studio in January.
Where can you stay in Orlando, with the WDW-on-site perks, for 20 Nights for $1300 ??
Last year we did a Studio for 8Nights & a 1-BR for 6, at AKL with Savannah Views-- couldn't touch that anywhere else for the $1300 MFs,
and when you amortize our purchase price over 20-25 years that we plan to use DVC, that jacks the $1300/year to $2400/year - which is still a good deal for the scenarios described above.
20 Nights in Studio for $2400 = $120/Night
14 Nights (8-Studio/6-1BR) = $171/Night at AKL with SV room.
You can't get that anywhere else:darth:

What's the UY? If it's an April UY, then maybe, although the contract is still pretty well stripped not kinda stripped. If it's a Dec UY, I'd hold off for another contract because you would be paying now for points you can't use for at least 10 months.
It's an Aug Uy just like the rest of our points. There are only 2 points for 2019 so MF's won't be a factor until 2020.

I just bought SSR Nov. 2018 and it was a stripped contract too. 0/2018 39/2019 150/2020. UY April and cost was $100 per point. I wasn’t going to buy a partially stripped contract but when I thought about how I didn’t have to pay the full MF for a year I jumped on it. Plus April UY is perfect for me. My initial plan was to just bank the points into next year since we can always use our other timeshare to go to FL and I could possibly rotate a 1 bed and Studio every other year.......but then after we closed I book DVC just because I got excited about using DVC and now want more points since I booked myself in some 1 bedrooms. Ugh :(

So I’m saying all that to say. If you are not wanting to use the points until 2020 then I would go for it. You don’t have to pay your dues yet and if you generally Vacay around Aug, and you like SSR your good. If that doesn’t apply and you want to book this year then I would look for a contract that has this years points. Oh and if you haven’t already look at the point charts and figure out when you want to go and see if 100 points are ok per year for you and your family.

I just bought SSR Nov. 2018 and it was a stripped contract too. 0/2018 39/2019 150/2020. UY April and cost was $100 per point. I wasn’t going to buy a partially stripped contract but when I thought about how I didn’t have to pay the full MF for a year I jumped on it. Plus April UY is perfect for me. My initial plan was to just bank the points into next year since we can always use our other timeshare to go to FL and I could possibly rotate a 1 bed and Studio every other year.......but then after we closed I book DVC just because I got excited about using DVC and now want more points since I booked myself in some 1 bedrooms. Ugh :(

So I’m saying all that to say. If you are not wanting to use the points until 2020 then I would go for it. You don’t have to pay your dues yet and if you generally Vacay around Aug, and you like SSR your good. If that doesn’t apply and you want to book this year then I would look for a contract that has this years points. Oh and if you haven’t already look at the point charts and figure out when you want to go and see if 100 points are ok per year for you and your family.
We own at OKW and SSR.None of that is an issue.

DVC makes sense if you want to stay onsite. If you're ok with offsite then it very possibly isn't right for you as you can get some very good accommodations offsite for far less than onsite.

The beauty of the DVC point system is the flexibility as compared to other timeshares.
For the roughly the same points and MFs you reference above, we tend to use our points to get 15 to 20 Nights in a Studio in January.
Where can you stay in Orlando, with the WDW-on-site perks, for 20 Nights for $1300 ??
Last year we did a Studio for 8Nights & a 1-BR for 6, at AKL with Savannah Views-- couldn't touch that anywhere else for the $1300 MFs,
and when you amortize our purchase price over 20-25 years that we plan to use DVC, that jacks the $1300/year to $2400/year - which is still a good deal for the scenarios described above.
20 Nights in Studio for $2400 = $120/Night
14 Nights (8-Studio/6-1BR) = $171/Night at AKL with SV room.
You can't get that anywhere else:darth:

For sure - I think DVC is an excellent choice for those needing a studio or only 1 bedroom. It is very comparable to hotel room costs offsite. However, we have 6 kids and 2 grandparents with us. So, for a party of 10 we would need a grand villa. That would take about 600 points for 1 week of vacation (3 years x 200 point minimum by borrowing and banking) and be about $6000 including buy in amortization and mf's for those 3 years. We get a luxury, 6 bedroom home five minutes from Disney for $1300.00 / week - a lot bigger / more amenities than a hotel room.

So, yes, when comparing hotel rooms to hotel rooms the value is there. But, not when comparing onsite hotel rooms to multi-bedroom villas or pool homes offsite... What I was trying to say in my original post was that we could stay in a massive home each year for just the maintenance fees it would take to stay in a DVC studio. And we could stay in that massive, offsite home about four years in a row for the same cost as staying in a DVC grandvilla once with points/maintenance fees.

Hope that made sense!

Last edited:
1300...plus rental car or rideshare plus time spent getting to and from. And what if the rental house raises its rates. 30 day FP+ rather than 60.

Grandparents don’t *have to* stay with you. Kids will grow. Then it’ll be a smaller and smaller family and you’ll still have Dvc and be able to change unit size for the smaller group. And then family might grow again as kids get older and have kids, and you’ll still have Dvc for trips.

I’ve owned since 2009 and have never felt addonitis at all, and I’m the one that would pull my then-husband back from the add-on brink when we would go to the member events on DCL (he’s highly susceptible to emotional pleas), and I can imagine selling if universal ever puts in a timeshare of their own, BUT I don’t regret buying.

Rather than amortize the initial purchase I look at the purchase price and what sort of onsite visit it could have bought at that time, and then what each year’s dues could buy. And I look to the total. For us/me it’s been well worth it.

It's an Aug Uy just like the rest of our points. There are only 2 points for 2019 so MF's won't be a factor until 2020.
In that case, it looks like a good option for you as an add-on. I hope it passes ROFR. Best of luck!

For sure - I think DVC is an excellent choice for those needing a studio or only 1 bedroom. It is very comparable to hotel room costs offsite. However, we have 6 kids and 2 grandparents with us. So, for a party of 10 we would need a grand villa. That would take about 600 points for 1 week of vacation (3 years x 200 point minimum by borrowing and banking) and be about $6000 including buy in amortization and mf's for those 3 years. We get a luxury, 6 bedroom home five minutes from Disney for $1300.00 / week - a lot bigger / more amenities than a hotel room.

So, yes, when comparing hotel rooms to hotel rooms the value is there. But, not when comparing onsite hotel rooms to multi-bedroom villas or pool homes offsite... What I was trying to say in my original post was that we could stay in a massive home each year for just the maintenance fees it would take to stay in a DVC studio. And we could stay in that massive, offsite home about four years in a row for the same cost as staying in a DVC grandvilla once with points/maintenance fees.

Hope that made sense!

Mamaofsix;
You have a CREW!:earboy2: I think it's awesome that you all vacation together, and our family of 9 is going to use up my points next year at an SSR-GrandVilla, but that won't be a regular yearly occurrence.
Mind if I ask what are your kids ages and gender mix?? - Maybe multiple units would work, especially as they get older? I would just look ahead a few years, and analyze the DVC Pros & Cons over a longer horizon, before totally ruling it out.
I bought my points in 2011 and, as of today's resale market, I could sell them for a small profit, after brokers fees. I know that might not be the same picture 10 years from now, but each year I reevaluate.
Good luck with your decision!:darth: MTFBWY

It looks appealing, you'll save on your dues for 2019, that's always a plus.

Mamaofsix;
You have a CREW!:earboy2: I think it's awesome that you all vacation together, and our family of 9 is going to use up my points next year at an SSR-GrandVilla, but that won't be a regular yearly occurrence.
Mind if I ask what are your kids ages and gender mix?? - Maybe multiple units would work, especially as they get older? I would just look ahead a few years, and analyze the DVC Pros & Cons over a longer horizon, before totally ruling it out.
I bought my points in 2011 and, as of today's resale market, I could sell them for a small profit, after brokers fees. I know that might not be the same picture 10 years from now, but each year I reevaluate.
Good luck with your decision!:darth: MTFBWY
Good point. We have 2 boys, (5 &9) and 4 girls (8,10,12,14). Four are adopted - I didn't give birth to that many children in quick succession, lol!

Multiple rooms might work as they get older. But, then I'm thinking ahead to grandkids, in which case we might need multiple grand villas! Although renting homes offsite will always be the more economical choice, we are still seriously considering the DVC investment. Maintenance fees aside, there's just something so special about staying on property.

Good point. We have 2 boys, (5 &9) and 4 girls (8,10,12,14). Four are adopted - I didn't give birth to that many children in quick succession, lol!

Multiple rooms might work as they get older. But, then I'm thinking ahead to grandkids, in which case we might need multiple grand villas! Although renting homes offsite will always be the more economical choice, we are still seriously considering the DVC investment. Maintenance fees aside, there's just something so special about staying on property.

As the kids grown into adults and bring their own children, the big happy multi-generational happy family will each yearn for their own space, be it a studio, 1 bedroom, or 2 bedroom, especially if the children are spread out in ages.

Wow - those 2 poor boys don't have a chance - :earsboy:
& OMG - that's a lot of college tuitions ! :earboy2:

I personally don't care for stripped contracts. Why tie up my funds in something I can't enjoy for a year or more? I don't care to do that. I can use that capital to do other things and buy points closer to when I need them instead. The purchase price of the points isn't a primary consideration as long as the contract is the right size and is what I'm looking for. I wouldn't think twice about paying 5 dollars more a point for the right contract than trying to save the 5 bucks a point and making a less desirable contract work.

The initial purchase price is such a small consideration in the overall costs associated with the use of the points that I really don't think people should focus on it as much as they do. Yes you might have saved 1,000 dollars on the initial purchase of the points, but you signed up for about 40K in dues payments over the next 34 years, and then there's the costs to use the points. Travel, Tickets, Food, Etc. I know with my family I'm at 4K out of pocket just to visit WDW between tickets and airfare. That's before feeding anyone, factoring in DVC point costs and dues, or anything else. Saving 1K over the remaining 34 years of an SSR contract just isn't that big of a deal in the big picture.

All that being said, if I thought SSR was going to go up in resale costs in the next 2 years and I didn't need the 2019 points, I might still do it.

Wow - those 2 poor boys don't have a chance - :earsboy:
& OMG - that's a lot of college tuitions ! :earboy2:
haha - yes, the boys are hopelessly outnumbered. One of the perks of being Canadian, however, is relatively cheap college tuition compared to the U.S.!! Phew! Perhaps we should put what we will save on tuition into a DVC purchase? lol... :)

So we did pass on the SSR contract and found a nice 80 point OKW (our other home),This one had 25 points that had to be used by 7/31,50 points for 2019 25 from 2018 and 25 from 2019 and all 80 for 2020.We agreed on a price and signed the contract and we mailed out our 10% last night. I receive an email this morning that he thought that the buyer would pay 2018 and 2019 MF's when it was very clear from the listing that the buyer pays the MF's for the 25 2019 points. He wants to renegotiate or terminate the contract. Boy this is a first for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter