Adding Dining Plan - Financial privacy?

What I don’t like is the idea that this exposes me to a preventable risk. The company can simply charge my card and use those funds to purchase a Disney gift card themselves and provide that to the owner. That’s a simple solution that solves the problem of financial privacy completely while still respecting the DVC owner rules. I don’t believe my fears are unfounded in this day and age, or that I am being unreasonable in expecting that a company keep my financial information private like every other company I do business with.
But, the preventable risk is on you to mitigate because you have entered into a private transaction between 2 people, not Disney or the rental company who is simply the intermediary to connect the owner and the renter. Now you know for future transactions.

I think it’s because it is really a private transaction between a renter and an owner, with the broker helping connect the two. While I certainly do agree it is something you are concerned about, it comes with the risks of a rental of DVC through an owner and not booking with a company, Disney.

It’s one of the reasons I pay for LifeLock. It is worth the peace of mind for the $120 a year it costs me.

But, at least now you know and understand the ins and outs and can plan differently in the future!
Yeah, kind of, but since I don’t know the owner and don’t get any details I am flying blind, which makes it a little more convoluted.

But, the preventable risk is on you to mitigate because you have entered into a private transaction between 2 people, not Disney or the rental company who is simply the intermediary to connect the owner and the renter. Now you know for future transactions.
I disagree. The broker works for me. I have a contract with them and not with the other party. Same with the owner. Neither of us is allowed to know the other, otherwise the broker would be irrelevant. This puts the broker in the position where they should be assuming the liability and providing security for both parties, otherwise what are they here for? I could go to the forums to rent points. I did it through a broker specifically FOR the security.

I disagree. The broker works for me. I have a contract with them and not with the other party. Same with the owner. Neither of us is allowed to know the other, otherwise the broker would be irrelevant. This puts the broker in the position where they should be assuming the liability and providing security for both parties, otherwise what are they here for? I could go to the forums to rent points. I did it through a broker specifically FOR the security.
It is still the owner who has to handle all the transactions with Disney. The broker has no access to anything so the owner is going to get the information because they are making a reservation on your behalf. The owner does know you. How else would they make the reservation in your name?

The company can simply charge my card and use those funds to purchase a Disney gift card themselves and provide that to the owner.

What if you were to suggest this to the company, rather than talk about it here?

Of course, thinking about it for two seconds tells me why not. If you change your mind and cancel the dining plan, it will be refunded back to the GC. YOU will be expecting a refund to your card. Which, if the company does that, means that they are now stuck with a GC. I’m sure business accountants love that.

Renters buying GCs for this transaction has been a workaround since almost immediately after Dvc changed the rules (enforced the rules?) on how rental companies do their business. It’s a bummer you didn’t know about it, but now you do.

It is still the owner who has to handle all the transactions with Disney. The broker has no access to anything so the owner is going to get the information because they are making a reservation on your behalf. The owner does know you. How else would they make the reservation in your name?
Yes, I understand that. What I am saying is that there should be a barrier between my personal information and the party that I do not know (the owner). The broker should take my funds and then deliver them to the owner. Whether that means they give them their OWN credit card or gift card, add it to the amount they got paid for the rental. I wrote a check to the broker for my rental. They then found a way to translate that money to the owner. Why can’t they do the same for the dining plan?

What if you were to suggest this to the company, rather than talk about it here?

Of course, thinking about it for two seconds tells me why not. If you change your mind and cancel the dining plan, it will be refunded back to the GC. YOU will be expecting a refund to your card. Which, if the company does that, means that they are now stuck with a GC. I’m sure business accountants love that.

Renters buying GCs for this transaction has been a workaround since almost immediately after Dvc changed the rules (enforced the rules?) on how rental companies do their business. It’s a bummer you didn’t know about it, but now you do.
I understand what you’re saying. And sure, I can talk to them and suggest ways they should run their business to best protect my interest. But why should I have to do that? That’s their job. And, to the best of my limited knowledge, the law requires it to an extent. I shouldn’t have to tell them.

I did contact my broker and asked the question and brought up my issue with it. So far, no solution or apology even has been offered for the fact that I didn’t know this was how it worked. I’ve searched their site and have not found anything disclaiming the process. I wrote them a check for the rental. I expected this to work the same. I pay “them”. I don’t think that’s an unreasonable expectation.

My purpose in posting here on the forums is twofold: first to confirm that what is going on is “normal”, although I don’t believe good business practice. And second so that if it comes up for someone else they have a resource. I searched the forums prior to posting and found nothing about this.

The more I think about it, the more inclined I am to believe the proper way these companies should handle this is exactly the way they handle the funds for the rental itself: accept direct payment from the renter and then they themselves pay the owner to add it to the reservation. Pretty simple.

While I can't comment on David's due to no experience, I rent my points out through the "other" broker often. Every time I've ever had to add the dining plan for a guest I was always presented with gift card numbers from the broker. I don't know this for sure, but it was always my assumption that the guest gave the broker their credit card/check/etc., they ran it and then bought the gift cards they presented to me. Again, I don't know that for sure but it made sense for two reasons:

1. Your concern as a renter.
2. The broker likely got the gift cards at some sort of discount (easy 5% at Target for instance) and thus made money on transaction.

I would think that David's would do something similar but you as the renter wouldn't know because you paid them and that's the only side you see.

While I can't comment on David's due to no experience, I rent my points out through the "other" broker often. Every time I've ever had to add the dining plan for a guest I was always presented with gift card numbers from the broker. I don't know this for sure, but it was always my assumption that the guest gave the broker their credit card/check/etc., they ran it and then bought the gift cards they presented to me. Again, I don't know that for sure but it made sense for two reasons:

2. The broker likely got the gift cards at some sort of discount (easy 5% at Target for instance) and thus made money on transaction.

I would think that David's would do something similar but you as the renter wouldn't know because you paid them and that's the only side you see.
Good information to know. Thanks for sharing.

That would also make sense, as the discounted gift card percentage would offset any credit card processing fee.

I doubt that they would go and buy discounted GCs because they would be stuck with it.

OP: the owner has to pay for the dining plan immediately after adding it to the reservation. So, if you wanted to pay with a check (and David's accepted it), you'd be waiting a week or so

I understand what you’re saying. And sure, I can talk to them and suggest ways they should run their business to best protect my interest. But why should I have to do that? That’s their job. And, to the best of my limited knowledge, the law requires it to an extent. I shouldn’t have to tell them.

I did contact my broker and asked the question and brought up my issue with it. So far, no solution or apology even has been offered for the fact that I didn’t know this was how it worked. I’ve searched their site and have not found anything disclaiming the process. I wrote them a check for the rental. I expected this to work the same. I pay “them”. I don’t think that’s an unreasonable expectation.

My purpose in posting here on the forums is twofold: first to confirm that what is going on is “normal”, although I don’t believe good business practice. And second so that if it comes up for someone else they have a resource. I searched the forums prior to posting and found nothing about this.

The more I think about it, the more inclined I am to believe the proper way these companies should handle this is exactly the way they handle the funds for the rental itself: accept direct payment from the renter and then they themselves pay the owner to add it to the reservation. Pretty simple.
You know what? If this is such a big issue for you, then maybe getting the dining plan, or even renting, is just not for you. Not everyone is comfortable with the process and that’s fine.

As an owner, I’m given the renter’s name and their address. I get their spouse’s name and names of all of the children, including their ages. I have the names and addresses of all adults on the reservation. I have the email address and phone number of the primary guest. TBH, that’s much more sensitive info than your credit card number is. Your credit card can be canceled. The rest of your identifying information cannot.

If the renter wants to add a dining plan to the reservation, the broker does not give me the gift card or credit card info via email. I have to call them once I’m notified that there’s a need to add it. It does add a layer of security because emails can be hacked.

I am shocked they were checking at SSR. They weren't in April.

There are some owners who rent who won’t add the dining plan to reservations for many of the same reasons who have mentioned. The broker has given you the extra security of making sure your reservation doesn’t get canceled by an owner. That is the reason, IMO, why a broker vs. a private transaction is used by many. If an owner cancels it or defaults on a membership and those reservations are canceled, you have some security in the contract you signed to what you would be entitled to.

Remember, The reservation you have is not your reservation. It is the owners until you check in. So, the rules of the game are that if the owner wants to allow a dining plan, then they require payment from the renter via credit card, gift card, or some other means. Sounds like the broker gave at least the CC option.

Renting saves money, for sure. But the drawback is that you are not dealing with Disney, so things will be different. You are working with DVC rules and as already mentioned, the broker has no ability to access your reservation in any way. They ar basically the go between.

In terms of a broker accepting payment for the dining plan, it would get way too messy for them and add another layer to the process.

I do think that you have a good suggestion that the specific rules for adding the dining plan could be clearer so one knows before renting, what that would entail.

When I rented out my points, I would not do the dining plan for guests since it didn’t want their info or the hassle.

I doubt that they would go and buy discounted GCs because they would be stuck with it.

Again, I don't know for sure. But I've done several rentals with that broker and many (20+) of the renters have added the dining plan. I find it hard to believe that every single guest happened to buy gift cards. And if you think about it, would the broker really be "stuck" with the GC should a renter cancel? If they use GC's for every rental they broker (which I'm sure is a high number) then for the few that cancel the dining plan they'd just use that GC for the next guest that wants it added.

When I make a dining plan reservation for a renter, I do a 3-way call with the renter, DVC Member Services and myself. I give MS the reservation information and tell them that the renter is on the line and wants to provide their credit card number. I notify everyone that I will be hanging up while the renter speaks directly to MS, and I then disconnect my. This leaves the renter and MS to finish the dining plan reservation without me being involved in the conversation. So far, this has worked out fine. I really don't want to have access to the renter's cc number.

We take the DDP renters payment by check and we use our CC when adding the DDP to the renters reservation. That way I don't have the renters CC info.

:earsboy: Bill

David's is a Canadian company, there is no discounted cards here in Canada so that would be no benefit to them, the cards we buy in stores are in Canadain funds and US amount varies on the exchange rate the day that it is redeemed. It would be a hassle for them to attempt to predict.

I agree that I would not like giving my credit card information to a stranger that is renting me a reservation. And as a renter, I do not like having the liability of hearing or having a credit card number.

When I rent I get DVC and the renter and myself on one phone call. When it comes time to the renter giving DVC their credit card, I always say I am putting the phone down and let them give DVC their card and details in privacy. I give them about a minute and then come back and ask if they are done. Usually I can hear that their talking is quiet and I come back.

I totally understand the concerns as there is concern for both parties I feel. I love the Gift Card idea and will ask my renters to do that or a one-time gift card so we are both protected as much as feasible.

You know what? If this is such a big issue for you, then maybe getting the dining plan, or even renting, is just not for you. Not everyone is comfortable with the process and that’s fine.

As an owner, I’m given the renter’s name and their address. I get their spouse’s name and names of all of the children, including their ages. I have the names and addresses of all adults on the reservation. I have the email address and phone number of the primary guest. TBH, that’s much more sensitive info than your credit card number is. Your credit card can be canceled. The rest of your identifying information cannot.

If the renter wants to add a dining plan to the reservation, the broker does not give me the gift card or credit card info via email. I have to call them once I’m notified that there’s a need to add it. It does add a layer of security because emails can be hacked.

Not to mention, you also know when they won't be home....

Not to mention, you also know when they won't be home....

Well you don't know if the home is empty... We have a house sitter that stays at the house for that reason and to take care of my dog. We also have cameras (crazy the number of people that do as they are CHEAP - $25!) so that is a deterrent. Usually the people to whom I have rented are 1000s of miles away; so that is also a comfort factor. Lastly, sad that we are skeptical of people to be good people and we think of all these possibilities....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts