Adding on before Star Wars Land and 50th Anniversary Enhancements

SpaceMountain77

Kidani Villager Victorian Gentleman Turtle Trekker
With dining, merchandise, and ticket prices continually rising, the upcoming opening of Star Wars Land, and planned enhancements for the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World, is anyone else adding-on (stockpiling) points? Personally, I am trying to get to my target point total before the end of my current use year.

I'm just trying to "save" enough of the points we do have to make sure we'll be able to visit in late 2019. Might have to skip a trip to be sure, so really hoping SWL opens close to the promised date!

I can see doing something similar to adding on now before price increases before Star Wars: Galaxy Edge (SW:GE?) opens. I think the prices will increase after this extremely popular section of DHS opens. However, for DH and I, we are pretty comfortable with the number points we have. We sacrificed going to WDW for years when we worked because Disney was so expensive and other vacations were cheaper, now that we own DVC we are using it for DVC vacations at Disney properties.

--Enjoying our retirement!

So we are doing a trip in June and then again in the fall to use our APS. Once they are done we will bank what we can until 2021 and rent those that don’t fit the banking window. We have gone 6 times in the last 12 months so taking a break while the parks refresh makes sense. We have 320 SSR Aug UY points so they are very flexible and support our needs.

New to DVC.

We have Dec 2018 and Nov 2019 trips planned to take advantage of the DVC premier AP deal they had (no blackout dates). Original plan was to skip 2020 and then do 2021 & 2022 similarly. I always figured we'd buy a 2nd home resort and need more points but that we'd not need to do it until 2022ish. Now I'm wondering if I'll regret it if we don't just do it now (soon). If SWL isn't open when we go in 2019 or crowds are too awful to even get to see / do anything, we will want to return sooner rather than later.

As it is, I took a points transfer right away for "cushion" to allow more flexibility because we own BWV and I'm already worried about room availability at the 11 mo mark for the 2019 trip. Ugh.

Wishful thinking if we could add points. Now's a pretty good time to add on.

We are definitely saving points for next year. We are going to go this year and just stay off property and bank our points. It will be sad going past VGF on the monorail. We said we would never stay off site again...

I'm excited for Star Wars Land but it's going to be so unbelievably crowded for the first year plus. Pandora had 5 hour waits (still regularly 3 hours) and that's an IP that's not even that popular!

From what I've read they expect to be closing SWL off due to capacity for a good while-- i.e. you'll have to wait in line just to enter the area and walk around. I'll probably try for late spring 2020 but expect it will be totally insane.

I'm excited for Star Wars Land but it's going to be so unbelievably crowded for the first year plus. Pandora had 5 hour waits (still regularly 3 hours) and that's an IP that's not even that popular!

From what I've read they expect to be closing SWL off due to capacity for a good while-- i.e. you'll have to wait in line just to enter the area and walk around. I'll probably try for late spring 2020 but expect it will be totally insane.

:eek:

We will not be adding on. We hope to be there in December 2019, staying at BWV.

Depending on how busy you feel WDW is going to get in the next 3 years, It might be advantageous to buy a second contract or add on. Buying so you can sell it later isnt a bad deal because with the rummour of 2 more DVC resorts planning to be built and with the Riviera in the process. Disney is thinking they can sell DVC pretty quickly, which will also mean more price increases per point. SO If I was planning on adding on I would do so sooner then later.

I had the same thought! My ideal add on would be BWV/BCV so I try to keep my eyes open for resale contracts. We bought direct in 2014 so we have a comfortable base of points to work with and should be ok for the foreseeable future in terms of number of points needed for member perks.

Wow, good topic. Didn't realize so much was going on at WDW (up to my eyebrows in graduate - PhD- work). Have to check the latest costs for more SSR points.

Unless you in fact need extra points regularly I wouldn’t add on because of the two upcoming events. Instead you could, bank and borrow points which will give you 3 years worth of points.

Remember timeshares are not an investment even though dvc holds it value and a lot of members have seen the value go up.

Unless you in fact need extra points regularly I wouldn’t add on because of the two upcoming events. Instead you could, bank and borrow points which will give you 3 years worth of points.

Remember timeshares are not an investment even though dvc holds it value and a lot of members have seen the value go up.

I am not a borrower. DH and I have plans for every year at WDW. By banking and borrowing and using all your points for one trip, you have give up going to Disney sometime and might end up on a permanent borrowing mode.

I am not a borrower. DH and I have plans for every year at WDW. By banking and borrowing and using all your points for one trip, you have give up going to Disney sometime and might end up on a permanent borrowing mode.

Although if it really were only about an extra trip or two and not an ongoing need then booking a cash room or renting a reservation or transferring points would likely be the better option versus adding on for a very short term need. Not always of course as DVC prices have gone up so nobody would have gotten hurt by that but past performance isn't guaranteed to continue.

We ended up in a borrower situation - more because we were satisfying family requests - but one year of mostly cruising put us back on track ... or so I think cause that December BL stay might have thrown a monkey wrench in my strategy.

Each to his own. Buying additional points are a long term solution to something that happens once. There are other short term solutions if you don’t wanna borrow.
OTOH if you can already go once or twice per year with your current amount of points why add on you could just go during these two events?

Regards

I've decided that I have no business adding on any more points. I have enough for GVs at VGF and BWV for 2019 and 2020 and then a year with only a short trip for the two of us at AKV before we go 'round again. I can manage the dues for what I have. Adding on would tip the scales. And I don't have to be the first to see SWL. I just want to be able to enjoy it when we are there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter