Adopting a Soldier

dfchelbay

DIS Veteran
This year our family would like to send some care packages to soldiers serving. We are a Navy family, but no active duty since the 80's. So, we do not know anyone personally at this time to send things to. I've looked over some websites & they say the Dept of Defense won't allow sending to "any service member"...so I would need a service person's name.

Anyone know a reputable site where soldiers in need post their wish list? I'd like to just buy what's on their wish list & send it to them for Christmas. Or, if there's an organization here in the USA that I can call and they can assign a soldier to our family.

There are so many families here in USA with loved ones serving that aren't able to send the extras this holiday season and we'd like to help. There's also young men & women serving that have no one back home, family-wise to send them goodies. So, if anyone has info or suggestions on how we can adopt a soldier, we would love to do it. Thanks.

I send people to soldiersangels.org and adoptsussoldier.org.

Soldiers Angels has been around several years now and is quite reliable.
If you do start to send packages, you can get the flat rate APO box kits from the post office website to include the tape and customs forms.

A little off topic, since I know nothing about the military....but we live near a base and I'm wondering if there are ever service people that don't have anyone to celebrate Thanksgiving with, if regular people could invite them for dinner. Any suggestions who to contact, or if that is even a real possibility?
TIA

A little off topic, since I know nothing about the military....but we live near a base and I'm wondering if there are ever service people that don't have anyone to celebrate Thanksgiving with, if regular people could invite them for dinner. Any suggestions who to contact, or if that is even a real possibility?
TIA

I can't help you with who to contact but you remind me of some nice family in San Antonio who took my son in for Thanksgiving Day when he was in Basic Training two years ago. They even let him use their cell phone to call me. First I had heard from him since he left! One of the best phone calls I ever received!!:goodvibes

I just wish I knew who they were so I could have thanked them for being so kind to my son.

I can't help you with who to contact but you remind me of some nice family in San Antonio who took my son in for Thanksgiving Day when he was in Basic Training two years ago. They even let him use their cell phone to call me. First I had heard from him since he left! One of the best phone calls I ever received!!:goodvibes

I just wish I knew who they were so I could have thanked them for being so kind to my son.

That is truly awesome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!