ADR +1 question

caitycaity

<font color=009999>Accidentally deleted her tags<b
Hi all,

I'm in the midst of planning a joint 40th/41st birthday for me and my BIL. We will be at WDW towards the end of October. I made ADRs long ago, but this trip has been like herding cats so far. I'm trying not to be so type A about planning, but everyone other than me is a Disney newb, so I don't think they understand the need for some planning, especially when it comes to dining.

Sister and BIL just told me that they have another friend that will be coming to join us which is fine (actually great - the more the merrier afaic), but I have an ADR for California Grill on a Saturday night for 5 and I doubt I will be able to get a new one for 6. Will it be an issue if we show up and have 1 more than the ADR? I'm assuming no since 5 would probably be at a 6 top anyways, but that's the night we are doing our birthday party and getting a cake, etc, so I want to be sure. Any advice is appreciated!

There is no guarantee they will seat the extra person. If you show up with them, there IS a chance they will be turned away. You have to decide if you want to chance that. Personally, no way in heck would I chance it. I would be online constantly looking for a new ADR.

Hi all,

I'm in the midst of planning a joint 40th/41st birthday for me and my BIL. We will be at WDW towards the end of October. I made ADRs long ago, but this trip has been like herding cats so far. I'm trying not to be so type A about planning, but everyone other than me is a Disney newb, so I don't think they understand the need for some planning, especially when it comes to dining.

Sister and BIL just told me that they have another friend that will be coming to join us which is fine (actually great - the more the merrier afaic), but I have an ADR for California Grill on a Saturday night for 5 and I doubt I will be able to get a new one for 6. Will it be an issue if we show up and have 1 more than the ADR? I'm assuming no since 5 would probably be at a 6 top anyways, but that's the night we are doing our birthday party and getting a cake, etc, so I want to be sure. Any advice is appreciated!

You cannot assume you will be seated at a 6 top. Our party was for 7 and I tried adding one extra. The Concierge tried. Nope. CG is a difficult ADR to adjust I think. Keep trying to either add one, or to book an ADR for 2. This may not get you seated together, however it will help. If you show up with an additional person you must be prepared to make an uncomfortable decision if the restaurant cannot accommodate you: either send one person away, or you all walk and you renege on the ADR. I would look on TP and set up an ADR finder.

The good thing is that since none of the others are Disney regulars, it isn't like the world will end if they can't eat at California Grill and probably don't have specific preferences. If you want a dinner at one of the more high end restaurants, I would find another where you can make a reservation for the party size you now expect and the others will never know.

Some planning for Disney is good, but frankly if the planning turns into a job, we find it loses some of the enjoyment of going on vacation. I doubt all 6 friends/relatives will want to do exactly the same thing each day, so letting everyone plan their own daily itinerary is probably a good idea.

The good thing is that since none of the others are Disney regulars, it isn't like the world will end if they can't eat at California Grill and probably don't have specific preferences. If you want a dinner at one of the more high end restaurants, I would find another where you can make a reservation for the party size you now expect and the others will never know.

Some planning for Disney is good, but frankly if the planning turns into a job, we find it loses some of the enjoyment of going on vacation. I doubt all 6 friends/relatives will want to do exactly the same thing each day, so letting everyone plan their own daily itinerary is probably a good idea.

I agree. We have had to make adjustments in dinner plans when a restaurant was not available, and it was fine. I understand wanting to plan the perfect trip with the "best" ADR's, and am a victim of my own internal planning monster. I wasted too much precious time trying to score a BOG ADR for a trip and will never do that again. I look, and if something is not available I book another. And move on.

I also agree that most of the people who joined us on any trip were just happy to have dinner. We travel as an extended family, book one meal a day together, and plan to start out on the same direction. We veer off at some point and manage to all meet at dinner time. No expectations for each other, other than to make it to dinner on time, or give warning that you will not. I also ask in advance if people in the group wnat to have their own dinner rather tehn with the group. This way they know we also are not territorial in terms of meals. Vacations that stipulate the whole group stays together would nto work for us.

...Vacations that stipulate the whole group stays together would not work for us

Same way I view this. If you are traveling with others who are not your immediate family, I don't think you can plan every detail for them. Everyone has different park/food/entertainment preferences. When we go on vacation with others, we always have that discussion ahead of time to avoid issues. Some may want to go here, while others go there. If someone insists we always do what THEY want to do, we just don't go on vacation together with them. Having a prearranged time to meet for dinner gives everyone the freedom to do what they want, but then we can still have some meals as a group.

Same way I view this. If you are traveling with others who are not your immediate family, I don't think you can plan every detail for them. Everyone has different park/food/entertainment preferences. When we go on vacation with others, we always have that discussion ahead of time to avoid issues. Some may want to go here, while others go there. If someone insists we always do what THEY want to do, we just don't go on vacation together with them. Having a prearranged time to meet for dinner gives everyone the freedom to do what they want, but then we can still have some meals as a group.

My niece and her new wife are joining us this trip. They are used to very laid back vacations with no "reservations" so this is a new ballgame for them. I have stopped sharing plans because they got all stressed that I was over-planning the trip, it seemed to be overwhelming. Now we are not planners as much as preplanners. We plan park days, and then work ADR's into those plans. FP at 60 days out. If there are special events we want to enjoy we note them and that is it. The girls wanted a nice dinner alone, and they chose Narcoossees. Okay. Booked. LOL! They were shocked when my DD told them to pick their restaurant so I could make sure they were able to go when they wanted to. WHAT????? we have almost three months!!!!! LOL! Nope.

We are chuckling because for us the beauty of a plan is that it is there if we want it, but it is easy to throw it away if something better comes up. We have hoppers for everyone so no one is stuck in any park if they want to leave, and we also are not invested in every meal, so if they really are feeling too restricted I will cancel some.

We are chuckling because for us the beauty of a plan is that it is there if we want it, but it is easy to throw it away if something better comes up.
This is exactly how I feel. I was able to get a reservation for 6 for our birthday dinner, so problem solved. I'm fine with people doing their own thing for sure, but I wanted to make sure we'd have a nice restaurant to eat it for our birthdays! :)

This is exactly how I feel. I was able to get a reservation for 6 for our birthday dinner, so problem solved. I'm fine with people doing their own thing for sure, but I wanted to make sure we'd have a nice restaurant to eat it for our birthdays! :)
Oh, that’s great! I’m glad you got your Cali Grill birthday wish!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!