ADR - do I include person who doesn’t eat in party count

bdarling

Mouseketeer
My son eats with a feeding pump and tube. My 180 ADR window is this week. He will be with us, but not eating, so party of 5 with 4 eaters. I will request wheelchair area for seating.

How many do you put in the reservation count - the 4 eaters or the 5 in the party? It is for BOG dinner. He is in a wheelchair so we can squeeze him next to us on 4 person table and will not use a reservation seat for someone else.

Also since he doesn’t eat, we can’t get a meal plan since we all
have to be on it! Maybe if I call we can, if anyone knows that, answer below too.

The reservation count is for occupancy so you need to include everyone. Also for character and pre fixe meals they typically charge for each individual, even if someone doesnt eat. Due to your sons true medical needs I would talk to Disney about this in advance to see what they suggest.

As far as the meal plan goes, the meals are not individually assigned. By this, I mean if you purchased the meal plan for all 5 people, others in the group would be able to use those meals. So if you had the plan that included 1 TS meal per person per day and purchased for 5 people for 5 days, you would have 25 TS meals available to the group. Anyone in the group could use them.

Otherwise, you would have to talk to Disney to see if they make an exception to the all must purchase policy for situations such as yours.

Good luck!

If the person not eating consumes one of the say 25 TS credits at that mealtime making that credit unavailable for another family member to use at a later mealtime then the family may place an order in behalf of the member not eating and take the uneaten meal with them.

Now this would work out only if the family were returning to the room immediately to put the meal in a refrigerator or on ice or were planning to nibble on the food as snacks within the next few hours.

If the person not eating consumes one of the say 25 TS credits at that mealtime making that credit unavailable for another family member to use at a later mealtime then the family may place an order in behalf of the member not eating and take the uneaten meal with them.

Now this would work out only if the family were returning to the room immediately to put the meal in a refrigerator or on ice or were planning to nibble on the food as snacks within the next few hours.

Do you know if credits can be still used for several snacks instead of a meal? Perhaps this would be an option, instead of ordering a meal to carry around the park. I haven't done a dining plan in years, so I don't know current rules.

Thanks everyone. I have never stayed on sight, so getting lots of snacks or something late at night to save for morning is a good idea. I will check the meal plan prices. We are renting points for Saratoga Springs for January and staying in a 2BR Handicap Roll in Shower unit. I will report back on the accommodations.

I assumed the character meals were a charge because of the entertainment, so was planning on that. I reserved Be Our Guest fixed price dinner for me and my friend’s birthdays in January, which would mean a nice to-go bag from my son’s meal. I will keep checking to see if I can bump it from 4 to 5.

We may still be OK with 4 because my husband is up in the air about going. He has Parkinson’s so some days suck in this stage. It is our slow Disney trip without my daughter running to all the thrill rides. I will actually see a parade or two this trip!

Trading meal credits for the three snacks is at the discretion of the location. So, probably but not definitely. He aware that trading a VS credit for three snacks is extremely poor use. Also, you have to do the swap as a single transaction.

have to be on it! Maybe if I call we can, if anyone knows that, answer below too.

I have never heard of Disney waiving the package rules, even for a medical need. As others have mentioned, dining credits are pooled and shared by all guests on your reservation, so someone could do a couple 2-credit meals or order extra food.

I suggest checking menus and prices; the dining plan does not necessarily save money, and it might be worth putting that value on a gift card to use for meals - you may find leftover funds for souvenirs or deposit on another trip.

Enjoy your vacation!

theres no getting around the meal plan, either everyone is on it or no one is and they are strict about that even for tube fed kids. It doesn't make sense for our family to get the meal plan; both of my kids are tube fed and hardly eat anything, so there would be too many wasted credits. but I have read on another forum that they have recently changed the policy about the "entertainment charge" for character meals. it used to be at the discretion of the CM, some would waive the charges for tube fed kids and others would not. now when you make your reservation you should tell them you have a child who is tube fed and they should charge him as an infant, which is free. I would imagine you would tell them again at the restaurant as well.

I am a big proponent of using extra credits for 2 credit meals myself. it allows you to indulge in some dining venues that would be otherwise too expensive. and there is no such thing as too many giant Rice Krispie treats or caramel apples....or using the extra snack credits on those bags of assorted candy to take home.

My son eats with a feeding pump and tube. My 180 ADR window is this week. He will be with us, but not eating, so party of 5 with 4 eaters. I will request wheelchair area for seating.

How many do you put in the reservation count - the 4 eaters or the 5 in the party? It is for BOG dinner. He is in a wheelchair so we can squeeze him next to us on 4 person table and will not use a reservation seat for someone else.

it is no different than having to count an infant is the count. we have had to count a 4 month old who could not sit in highchair. also if person would make you a party of 6 you would be an auto tip party. when I have used a wheelchair the parking area was not in the seating area

but I have read on another forum that they have recently changed the policy
Which forum? Some don't seem to be too concerned with accuracy. If I read Otis type of information here on wdwinfo.com, or allears, or mousesavers, or similar accurate sites, I would be pretty confident that the change had been confirmed before being posted.

We have visited Disney 4 times in the last 4 years. We have a daughter who is tube fed on a continuous pump feed and takes nothing by mouth. We always let them know she will not be eating. They do not count her as an infant, as she is not an infant. They count her as a non-diner and we have only been charged for her once, our first meal 4 years ago when we didn’t tell them that she was a non-diner. We eat at character and non character table service restaurants (we have done over 40 table service meals with her, mostly character meals) We do get the dining plan but we always have two rooms so we don’t pay for the plan in one room, the rest of us share the credits.
My understanding is that they changed this to policy about 4 years ago (not charging for non-diners at prix fixe/buffets due to medical need) hopefully they will change the policy about everyone in the room being on the plan as well. Like others said, you could treat yourself to some two credit meals 😀. We always include her in the reservation so they know the number of people coming. Staff are very friendly and respectful of special needs at Disney. Have fun!

I’m sorry, but charging a meal to someone who medically cannot eat and is receiving tube feedings is just crass and ridiculous. I don’t care if it a character buffet or not. I hope Disney will change this policy. It’s not like they are choosing not to eat. They cannot eat!

I’m sorry, but charging a meal to someone who medically cannot eat and is receiving tube feedings is just crass and ridiculous. I don’t care if it a character buffet or not. I hope Disney will change this policy. It’s not like they are choosing not to eat. They cannot eat!
You don't choose a Character Meal specifically for the food - you choose it for the Character interaction.

The thing is that they can and will waive the charge on an individual basis at the time. The servers or managers have discretion to make exceptions, based on circumstances.
They don’t do it ahead of time for one very good reason - if they did it ahead of time, people whose family member don’t have any special needs will lie to save money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter