Adult Asperger

Also, I believe the Paris assistance card is very different from the WDW DAS card. In France, to obtain the pass, the guest has to show (prove) a disability, because that card gives them an advantage over non-DAS park guests. In the USA, ADA does not allow WDW to ask for proof and the DAS does not give any advantage. It simply allows the guest to wait their turn elsewhere and then join the FastPass queue. Sorry I can't be clearer, but I have never used the pass at Disneyland Paris. So even once you get the DAS here, it may not work as you are expecting (based on your experience at Disneyland Paris).

DAS does give an advantage. While someone waiting in the standard queue cannot go get something to eat, use the restroom, or go on another attraction, the guest using the DAS can. That's pretty significant, especially for attractions with waits of over an hour. The ability to get a DAS for FoP is enormously advantageous.

I myself barely had to say a word about my son beyond his diagnosis and they were typing up the information. And at that moment, he was acting fine and looked neurotypical.

This is what's going to do in the DAS system, IMO. It shouldn't be based on diagnosis. They're not training the CMs very well on this, and it's going to cause issues just like the GAC in the future. I've seen posts where Universal is tightening up on giving out their version of the DAS already.

This is what's going to do in the DAS system, IMO. It shouldn't be based on diagnosis. They're not training the CMs very well on this, and it's going to cause issues just like the GAC in the future. I've seen posts where Universal is tightening up on giving out their version of the DAS already.

I could not agree with you more I was in GR and the person next to me walked up and said I can not stand longer then, 20-30 minutes I need a disability pass, ( almost word for word what she said)the CM just gave her a DAS card, I was trying my best not to say, is it not being able to stand mobility and the use of a wheelchair or ECV what she needs, but I did not. I have also seen people leaving saying things like hay now we do not have to wait in lines and high-fiving each other, and I loved the person that made a comment to me about just lying to get the pass so they can do more rides. I do wish the CM would ask why you need the pass and really take the time to see if you really need it, rather than what some seem to be doing and just handing them out to the people that ask for it. I do think the people that need it the pass is a life saver, I wish they would change something about it. and make it so that you can do meet and greet, and maybe where you can set up your return time.... but I can dream.

All needs may not be the same, but if someone is in the line asking for the DAS and saying they have ASD or Aspergers, there's a pretty good chance that their needs are going to fall within the DAS spectrum.'

Statements like this perpetuate the myth that people with one of these diagnoses are unable to learn/grow/change/adjust. Kids today are getting therapies at a very young age, and MANY make BIG strides. That doesn't mean kids of 1-2 decades ago didn't make similar strides, but I do believe the Early Intervention programs are making a big difference along with the fact that those earlier families fought for therapies and to prove their kids COULD learn. To expect everyone with one of those diagnoses to always need the same accommodation is being short-sighted. We have many posters on this Forum who have mentioned their child used to need DAS but no longer does. The diagnosis didn't change, but the needs changed. Or other posters who report their child has an ASD diagnosis but the family has never used DAS.

Accommodations are provided based on need, not diagnosis. There are many more diagnoses that people have than the ones you have listed. CMs simply cannot be familiar with all those diagnoses and the associated needs. When guests insist on just providing the diagnosis instead of the needs, it creates an illusion that only those diagnoses are eligible. I agree with PP that Disney needs to revisit the training if CMs are not asking about needs related to the parks environment.

Back to the OP's concern...
I'm a bit afraid to ask this card in wdw, I don't know if i could answer to their questions for my needs (it's difficult when you're on the spectrum and I don't speak english very well).

I suggest you think about standing in a queue -- be that at the movie theater, grocery store, to board public transportation, or some other queue situation you encounter at home. Put those thoughts down on paper -- just notes in a list, try to keep it short and concise. Then ask someone to translate that list to English (you could also bring the French version as there may well be a CM at Guest Relations who speaks/reads French). You may not need a DAS at WDW. Or you could try first without one, and then go to Guest Relations to explain what was challenging about that.

Enjoy your vacation!

DAS does give an advantage. While someone waiting in the standard queue cannot go get something to eat, use the restroom, or go on another attraction, the guest using the DAS can. That's pretty significant, especially for attractions with waits of over an hour. The ability to get a DAS for FoP is enormously advantageous.

I agree that the DAS here has an advantage, but I believe that in Paris DL their pass works like a front of the line pass, which requires proof of disability.

I agree that the DAS here has an advantage, but I believe that in Paris DL their pass works like a front of the line pass, which requires proof of disability.

DAS in the U.S. must abide by ADA legislation. That legislation requires equal accommodation (to the extent possible) without requiring proof of disability.

DAS -- or any disability service/program -- in other countries does not follow the ADA laws from the U.S. Those programs would follow standards set by the respective local government. I believe many European countries, and possibly other locales, have national registries of those with a specific diagnosed disability. Many have an identification card of some sort to "prove" they qualify for disability offerings in their country. Programs or services in those countries often do provide for front-of-the-line access, but that is allowed by those governments.

This is why the OP is unfamiliar with explaining her needs rather than showing proof or stating her diagnosis. Rules and laws in France are different than the U.S.

I could not agree with you more I was in GR and the person next to me walked up and said I can not stand longer then, 20-30 minutes I need a disability pass, ( almost word for word what she said)the CM just gave her a DAS card, I was trying my best not to say, is it not being able to stand mobility and the use of a wheelchair or ECV what she needs, but I did not. I have also seen people leaving saying things like hay now we do not have to wait in lines and high-fiving each other, and I loved the person that made a comment to me about just lying to get the pass so they can do more rides. I do wish the CM would ask why you need the pass and really take the time to see if you really need it, rather than what some seem to be doing and just handing them out to the people that ask for it. I do think the people that need it the pass is a life saver, I wish they would change something about it. and make it so that you can do meet and greet, and maybe where you can set up your return time.... but I can dream.

The one thing I do wish is the DAS pass stayed attached to your AP longer than it currently does. I 100% understand why they make you periodically go and re-request one since your needs can change, but on a personal level, my need for a DAS is not going away any time soon. It does make it easier that they can look up I've had one before so I don't have to do a ton of explaining now since requesting one brings me serious anxiety each time still after my very first horrible experience getting one.

I did have an experience this past trip to WDW when I went to request one and all I did was ask what accommodations they currently offer for someone who struggles to wait in a standard queue environment and she immediately started linking the DAS to my account for the trip before I even finished asking my question. No asking what my needs were or wondering what aspects of the line I struggle with. Just handed it right out. So my park experiences have told me some CMs will just tell you that you should go home and not bother with the parks and others won't even ask you why you need it.

RnR only goes upside down 2x not 3x ( it does seem like 3 but it is not)

Also Disney has something very similar to this already it is very easy to read, and talks about the DAS and has a little more information.

Rock n Roller Coaster does go upside down 3 times: the Rollover double loop at the start and a single Corkscrew maneuver later during the ride. If you're not afraid to see what it looks like without its box, this is what its outdoor clone in the Netherlands look like: https://rcdb.com/769.htm

For the original poster, I am a native french speaker from Quebec and can help you translate a letter for Guest Relations if you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter