Adult Changing Tables at the parks

It is for my niece...they are going in April and we were having a conversation when she (sister)told me that there were no changing tables for adults...I thought that was strange because Disney is so good with people with disabilities...I wonder why.

It is for my niece...they are going in April and we were having a conversation when she (sister)told me that there were no changing tables for adults...I thought that was strange because Disney is so good with people with disabilities...I wonder why.

Two reasons - there is not a huge need for them (what percentage of adults need a changing table, or can actually be put on one?) and there should be a bit more privacy involved when changing an adult's diaper, don't you think?

it will NOT be ideal , but the companion rest rooms scattered throughout are large enough to do so, although there is no table in there. it will be on the floor so I'd bring a blanket or something. my SiL uses one of those dollar store plastic table cloths for my adult nephew. she vastly prefers First Aid though.

as an adult myself with occasional.. issues, I just wear depends and can change myself in a regular handicapped stall. ( my nephew also uses those but hasn't mastered the art of self change) you can go longer with those as they do hold a lot. however, they are NOT recommended for any ride that you may get wet on.....for obvious reasons.....

Because @lanejudy is right, that is what First Aid is for. There simply isn't the space in the washrooms, handicapped or not, to provide an adult with a dignified diaper change.

Two reasons - there is not a huge need for them (what percentage of adults need a changing table, or can actually be put on one?) and there should be a bit more privacy involved when changing an adult's diaper, don't you think?

That is absolutely not true. The fact that communities continue to ignore the fact that this IS needed is really no longer acceptable. I would hazzard a guess that Disney has more people visit daily with this need than probably anywhere else in North America. The companion restrooms have the space and they should be added, with a ceiling lift.
If everyone else only had one washroom they could use at the parks I am pretty sure there would be an uproar. So, while the First Aid station at each park is wonderful, it is not enough.

Thankfully, the Orlando Airport has finally stepped up and provided adult change tables. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...ort-adult-changing-tables-20170124-story.html

Because @lanejudy is right, that is what First Aid is for. There simply isn't the space in the washrooms, handicapped or not, to provide an adult with a dignified diaper change.

Why should disabled people who need to use the washroom cross the entire park to do so? There is ONE First Aid station in each park. First Aid is not a washroom. It is for First Aid. It has become a washroom/diaper change area for older children/adults because there is no other choice.
There is room in every companion restroom for an adult change table. Many are fold down versions that work perfectly well so it can even be out of the way when not needed.

under ADA, retrofitting is not required unless/until normal wear and tear on a facility necessitates it via building code. so while yes, you make a valid argument that it 'should' be done, it won't happen until the companion restrooms are in need of updating anyway. and as I said before, while not ideal.. it CAN be done in the companion restrooms even without a table. they are private and afford enough room to do so, albeit on the floor.

I would suggest not using the floor in the Companion Restrooms if you need to change someone.
Some of them don’t have enough free floor space to lay someone down.
But,even worse, most of those floors are quite dirty.

My daughter now has a Mitrofanoff (stoma for urine catheterizing) so I not longer have to get her out of her wheelchair and lift her onto the toilet. When I did have to, I frequently had to clean the floor first so I would not slip on wetness, paper towels and toilet paper strewn on the floor. They were sometimes pretty yucky and I was only worried about stepping on it and maybe falling.
I still clean them up as we use them, because I figure I can and the next person to use it might not be able to.

That is absolutely not true. The fact that communities continue to ignore the fact that this IS needed is really no longer acceptable. I would hazzard a guess that Disney has more people visit daily with this need than probably anywhere else in North America. The companion restrooms have the space and they should be added, with a ceiling lift.
If everyone else only had one washroom they could use at the parks I am pretty sure there would be an uproar. So, while the First Aid station at each park is wonderful, it is not enough.

Thankfully, the Orlando Airport has finally stepped up and provided adult change tables. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...ort-adult-changing-tables-20170124-story.html

But needed by how many? Too many for first aid to handle? And a ceiling lift in the bathrooms - how fast would that be broken? Or someone hurt by the equipment? Equipment of that nature would/should have an attendant at all times. The article you linked even says that they are not feasible. But the lifting tables would work, until the remote is tampered with/broken.

First aid is great for the extra privacy needed to take care of our disabled needs. They even have two different heights for changing if you require that. While having to go back to first aid everytime you need to "pitstop" our family makes it work. Normal day to day life has us doing "pitstops" in our van, at least there is a place to change in the parks vs having to go out to our van or back to the hotel room.

While places like the YMCA and other community places provide simple adult change tables with ceiling lifts, I will continue to advocate and hope that places like Disney - a billion dollar company- can make those small changes. And yes, they are small changes. It is a shame that there is basically no support to even consider this idea, even on a disability forum. I guess we know why laws come into place to make these changes.

I have changed my child in the back of my van way too many times to count and I am tired of it. I will never put my child on a manky floor in a public washroom, even if I had the muscles to do it. ewww.

To the OP - I hope your niece has an amazing trip.

While places like the YMCA and other community places provide simple adult change tables with ceiling lifts, I will continue to advocate and hope that places like Disney - a billion dollar company- can make those small changes. And yes, they are small changes. It is a shame that there is basically no support to even consider this idea, even on a disability forum. I guess we know why laws come into place to make these changes.

I have changed my child in the back of my van way too many times to count and I am tired of it. I will never put my child on a manky floor in a public washroom, even if I had the muscles to do it. ewww.

I would not agree there is not support for the idea on this forum.
There are people who may not understand the need for it, but that doesn’t mean lack of support.

I do see some issues - for example:
- ceiling lifts would be a big liability. I work in a hospital where we do have ceiling lifts in almost every room. Used incorrectly, someone could get injured. When my daughter was in a different hospital, her nurse had to get assistance because she was not sure how to set the lift/sling up.

- I’ve been in every WDW Companion Restroom at one time or another. Almost none of them are big enough to add a changing table. While it would be nice if they added a height adjustable one like is installed at the Orlando airport, I can’t even think of more than one that would have space to add it.
The Orlando airport was a different situation - those bathrooms already had non-adjustable changing tables, so there was plenty of room.

I would suggest people who are interested in getting changing tables added contact Disney and suggest they be considered for the areas currently under renovation.

I hear you. One time, DD was locked in a stall in a restroom in AK; the sliding mechanism jammed and she couldn't get out. The CM whose assistance I drafted said, "Just have her crawl out!" Um, NO, thank you!

882E978B-25D5-431D-BEB6-D317E2A71F25.jpeg 4002FF11-3BF6-4E10-98D9-6EC12D9EB540.jpeg Just to give a size idea.
This Companion Restroom is at OKW and is one of the larger Companion Restrooms.
It would not be large enough for a changing table. In order to add them, they would need to make larger Companion Restrooms, which was why I suggested contacting Disney to add them in newly renovated or constructed areas.

Is it sad that I saw those pictures, and knew *exactly* where that was?

And now I want cake...

But, back to the point: I agree completely with @SueM in MN; I cannot see any method by which an adult-sized changing table could be put into the existing "footprint" of the companion bathrooms as they are built right now.

That doesn't mean that Disney won't add that accommodation in the future; however, they are - despite all the Magic - not actually mind readers. If a significant portion of the disabled population needs, and would find use for, such an accommodation, Disney still needs to be told that, because obviously up until this point, they have not realized that there is a need for adult-sized changing tables.

So, tell them. Call Guest Relations. Drop by the GR in every Park, and ask where such an accommodation is - and then tell them why it's important. Call Disability Services and let them know. Tell the fine folks at First Aid that this is why you are here, and if there were adult changing tables in a companion restroom, you wouldn't need to trek all the way to First Aid every time.

It's great that we are seeing these accommodations appear in places like MCO - and I have a feeling that we will, in the future, see them at WDW as well. But the people who design these things are too often bipedal, and healthy, and have no *real* idea why we need all that space, and all those accommodations to begin with. So tell them.

My only other suggestion is if there are a few of you to help you may be able to have a person hold her up and another person do the changing. This could be bad if you couldn't' hold her well enough.

If she's in a wheelchair I would put the wheelchair against a wall of a large enough restroom. You could use a bed pad on the wheelchair in case there is a mess. Then, someone could lift her enough to get the diaper changed. If she were to be dropped she's be in her chair and not falling.

I do see some issues - for example:
- ceiling lifts would be a big liability. I work in a hospital where we do have ceiling lifts in almost every room. Used incorrectly, someone could get injured. When my daughter was in a different hospital, her nurse had to get assistance because she was not sure how to set the lift/sling up.
I totally agree! As an OT, I see huge liability with ceiling lifts being installed in the parks. When I worked in a level 1 trauma center, we had special training on the various lifts we had throughout the hospital. We had a special "lift team" that the nurses used, who were specially trained individuals who operated the various lifts. I'm sure those who are familiar with the ceiling lifts know, you have to have a special sling that has no holes/tears and you can't expect Disney to provide those. Then there is the issue of weight limit. Most lifts have a weight limit. So if Disney had one of these lifts installed in a bathroom with an adult changing table, what's stopping a bariatric guest from using this lift (that is not adequate for their weight) and falling. The liability issues are huge! Our ceiling lifts frequently needed maintenance--what happens if someone is mid-transfer and the lift breaks down?

As big a hassle as it is currently, using the 1st-aide station is a good alternative. And at least it is an alternative. I'd recommend getting signed petitions and sending them into Disney management to have adult changing tables (that can hold a good amount of weight) added into the new additions so that there is more than just the one alternative at the 1st-aide stations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter