Adult trip free day...

If you had a free day, which would you do and which would be the most worth the money??

• Total voters

cbeeindisney

DIS Veteran
So my DH and I have rescheduled our trip from this summer to next summer and in doing this we want to make it a little extra, our trip is going to be 9 days and we're going to add on another for our free day! We have 3 choices, looking for the most worth it for the money and time and if you've done them, even better to help us decide! What would you do...

Universal (only thing is we only want to go to Harry Potter World, not interested in anything else)
Discovery Cove
an extra Disney day

An extra day at Disney will only cost a few dollars to add on to your existing tickets.
Universal really needs at least 2 days to see everything. I know you said you're only interested in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, but there's so much else there to see, and you need a park hopper ticket to experience both sides of the Wizarding World (Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley, connected via the Hogwarts Express). The wait for Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure alone could be several hours.
I've never been to Discovery Cove, but it looks beautiful.

I am a true Disney fan, but wanted to see what Universal did with Harry Potter, avid fan of books and movies. I would do Universal for the extra day. Diagon Alley is awesome. Butterbeer is great. If you get an interactive wand, many surprises happen with it. Forbidden journey and Escape from Gringotts ride were good. Be sure to go to Knockturn Alley. I would love to see the new Hagrid's ride. If nothing else, at least you experienced it.

Last edited:
It looks like you have a bunch of Disney fans responding to your poll! I do love Harry Potter World, but agree that one day is just so expensive with tickets and transportation. On a future trip, I might consider buying one night in a Universal Hotel so that you get to enter Harry Potter an hour early on both the day you check-in and the day you check-out.

My husband and I do Disney often, all the way from Seattle. We just love adult Disney. If it was me, I would consider a water park or Downtown Disney in the daytime, and then that later afternoon/evening do a Monorail Drink-a-Thon, Drink/Snack Around the World Showcase, or even maybe Sippin' and Snackin' in the Springs (we found inexpensive but adorable personalized passports online, and they have all kinds of fun ideas for both adult and family quests - PM me if you want the link :love:.) I also really like Savor, Sip, and Sparkle at California Grill (usually only Sunday nights, and sometimes Saturday nights too).

Another great idea is a tour. The Backstage Magic and Keys to the Kingdom are both really fun. We also loved the Segway tour that starts at Fort Wilderness (Wilderness Back Trail, I think it is called).

We were at Universal for the first 3 days of our 35 anniversary two years ago. It was well worth the 3 days and it could have easily done more. "If" we ever go back, we've done our feet-on-the-ground visit. At the World, you know the lay of the land (I assume) and don't have a steep learning curve. I voted for an extra day at Disney .... stay within the bubble and enjoy the Magic!!!

We go to WDW for 12 days and always take a "day off" in the middle. We play mini golf, go to Disney Springs for a little while and just relax. We go to Cape May Cafe for the seafood buffet for dinner and that puts my husband in 7th heaven. Day off or "free day" is a must.

It looks like you have a bunch of Disney fans responding to your poll! I do love Harry Potter World, but agree that one day is just so expensive with tickets and transportation. On a future trip, I might consider buying one night in a Universal Hotel so that you get to enter Harry Potter an hour early on both the day you check-in and the day you check-out.

My husband and I do Disney often, all the way from Seattle. We just love adult Disney. If it was me, I would consider a water park or Downtown Disney in the daytime, and then that later afternoon/evening do a Monorail Drink-a-Thon, Drink/Snack Around the World Showcase, or even maybe Sippin' and Snackin' in the Springs (we found inexpensive but adorable personalized passports online, and they have all kinds of fun ideas for both adult and family quests - PM me if you want the link :love:.) I also really like Savor, Sip, and Sparkle at California Grill (usually only Sunday nights, and sometimes Saturday nights too).

Another great idea is a tour. The Backstage Magic and Keys to the Kingdom are both really fun. We also loved the Segway tour that starts at Fort Wilderness (Wilderness Back Trail, I think it is called).

Love all of your ideas, thank you!

Tough one! For me - WWOHP is awesome if you have never been there - but as my partner could care less about it - the price makes this off the table. I think you can do a good job of WWOHP in one day - but you have to buy a Park-to-Park ticket. Price is high. Just rough. You gotta be dying to go there for a one-day thing to WWOHP. Universal is best as its own trip or 2-4 days. Another Disney park day is CHEAP at that point. BUT - I have to say - as two adults who love animals and water - we have definitely considered the splurge to go to Discovery Cove. We are going to do that at some point.

Now - we have ALSO enjoyed:
1) A do nothing day. Sleep late, hang out at resort, no plan day
2) A plan to drive off property and just go for a drive day - eat somewhere off-property
3) A trip to the Botanical Gardens
4) A trip to Kennedy Space Center
5) A trip to a State Park in FL - with a picnic

A park to park ticket is astronomical for just one day, it's crazy! I would love to do Discovery Cove too, that expense is a big one too, but I'd probably do that over WWOHP for a more relaxing day after a go, go, go vacation.

If budget isn't an issue, I would go for Universal to see the HP stuff. You will want to get the park-to-park ticket to get on Hogwarts Express, which is a must-do for an avid HP fan! :)

DH and I enjoy mini-golfing, so that's something that you could plan. There are lots of courses in the Disney/Orlando area too!
We did a trip to Bok Tower Gardens one year and that was a nice trip. You could do this and then mini-golf! :)

If you have never done Discovery Cove, then it is worth doing at least once.

If you are only interested in going to Universal for Harry Potter, then I would skip it as that is a lot of money to spend if you aren't doing the whole park(s).

My wife and I totally love EPCOT and the countries so my vote would be "another Disney day"

I would just explore all the Disney Deluxe resorts.

Bus to MK,
Monorail to CR then to POLY (trader Sams) monorail to GF.
Explore GF listen to the afternoon music.
Boat ride to MK boat ride to CC explore, stop at (Geyers creek).
Bus to BWV explore Swan, Dolphin , YC, BC boat ride to EPCOT Tram to RIveria (Topolino's Bar)
Tram to EPCOT walk to BC, bus to DS (why not have another drink there)
Boat ride to OKW. Explore
OKW boat ride, back to DS. Bus back to your resort.

We make a whole day out of this.

It’s possible to do WWOHP in a day.... but you need to hit the ground running. Last time we did it we got there at park opening. We had already done the Forbidden journey side once before, so there was slightly less pressure to see everything in that side of the park. This was before Hagrids was open though. It is expensive if you’d feel rushed at all.

Id suggest if budget isn’t an issue to do something you’ve never had time for on Disney property. Go to the spa. Go on a bass fishing excursion. Play mini golf, resort hop. Definitely stop and listen to the music in the GF! There’s so much to do outside the parks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!