Advance Check-in

jlcd

DIS Veteran
What are the pros and cons of checking in via the MDE app before arrival? Why have a very early flight arrival. Wondering if we are better off checking in at the desk in hopes someone is able to get us into our room a bit earlier. (I fully realize it may not happen no matter how we check in)

In our experience it has been useful on rare occasion when we are riding the DME to a value resort like Pop. A few times the "Pre-Check-in" line at the resort was shorter. I would check in online as we were trucking from MCO airport to Pop, and when we arrived DW would dash for that queue while I awaited the bags off the DME.

(I can't remember if the Pre-check line is even a thing anymore.)

When we stayed at mid-tier or top-end resorts it's never made a difference.

And in no case has it affected when our room was ready.

If you haven't made any room requests, you could note that you will be an early arrival. That is one way of telling them you will take any room that is ready.

I always do online check in and request early arrival and most times I get a text that my room is ready before I even get there. There really is no downside to online check in. If you still need or want to go to the check in desk to ask questions when you get there you can.

We did the online check in for our last trip. We were on the DME when we got the text that our room was ready and what our room number was.

Full Disclosure: Our flight arrived around 1p and we did not request any special room locations, etc. We were staying at POR.

We're giving it a try for our next trip too.

I can't think of any cons, why check in at the desk if you don't have to.

If your hoping for any early check in, you could always put your arrival time into MDE and if the room isn't ready when you arrive also stop by the check in desk and simply ask if there's anything coming available soon.

Think everything is equal whether using online check in or doing it at the desk... Generally seems rooms are assigned days before you get there, so either it is or isn't ready when you arrive.
Plus if your riding DME, they 'track' you and know when you arrive at the resort. If haven't gotten a 'room ready' text by time hit DME, will get 'room ready soon' text on the bus and update when get to resort.
Last 3 trips haven't interacted with anyone at the front desk. 2 times room was ready before arrival and just went to room off bus, 3rd time it was ready 40 minutes after got there (just got lunch at resort and was ready before we finished). I tend to arrive between 1 and 3pm to the resort.

We got the “room ready soon” text while riding MDE to CSR. We nicely asked at the front desk if they had a room rest yet and we were given the choice of three different rooms.

There is no downside to doing online checking.

The only real upside is if you are arriving early and would like to get into your room early. Using online checkin at least a week prior to your checkin date, and adding your arrival time when you do so, will at least give Disney the info they need to attempt to make that happen. No guarantees, but the odds improve that way.

Steve

Your room is pre-assigned. They might be able to move you, but if you want early room, be sure to drop every other request.

When I did on-line check in last week, they didn't ask me what time I was arriving, nor did they even mention room requests. They just basically said "Thank you-you're all set", and now there's a green check mark next to on-line check in in my MDE app. But I thought it was rather odd.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter