Advanced planning (2021)

yankee3366

Mouseketeer
I currently live overseas in Japan (yay TDR!). I've been here for several years and we haven't been to WDW since 2013 right before I moved. It was always our favorite trip, taking a couple weeks at our favorite resort, Riverside. We are planning to move back stateside in June of 2021. I'd like to start tentatively planning our first trip back to WDW that summer before school starts in the fall.

So a few questions. How bad will the heat and crowds be in the summer? Is there a better month to go? We'd like to do 2 weeks if possible since it'll be our first time back in many years and now as a family of 5 vs 4 when we last went. When can I start booking a package or hotel? Can you recommend a resort (definitely want to stay on property) for 5 that's nice but also affordable? I figured we may go back to our favorite, but there have been changes over the years and possibly a better (more affordable) option.

I know this is quite far out, but I need something to look forward to with the big move. :) Thanks!

Heat is awful, crowds "manage-ablish"....but that might change between now and then.

For 5 you start getting into 5th sleeper territory, suites or renting points. Depending on how many sleeping surfaces you need and how big the person in the 5th sleeper is, I would go with Port Orleans Riverside.

We went this summer in June and it was hot. We leave in Texas and we are used to the heat.. Crowds was okay. We didn't wait in line very long and we were able to get everything we needed fo reservations and also Fastpass. We are going again at the end of May 2021.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one looking at Spring 2021. Being from Canada, we don't want to go in the heat & humidity of summer. We'll confirm in May or June if the trip will go a head then I'll start making decisions.

I'd also love to hear how far in advance people start planning AND how far in advance you typically book.

I started planning my trip in 2020 after I got back from my trip in 2018, granted there was bottles of wine involved and it was more of a drunken idea my mom and I hatched....but it's happening.

We're picky on dates (thanks teachers) so we booked as soon as reservations opened. If I wasn't picky on dates or resorts, I'd wait for discounts.

You can book room only reservations 499 days in advance, but only over the phone. Packages book later, though it is not always known when they will open up. Usually you can book those at least a year out. It will be very very hot. It's tough to tell what the crowds will be like. Disney's crowd calendars have changed dramatically over the past few years. This year summer was the slow period and for the first time they offered free dining in July. There is definitely a trend for people going in the cooler months. However, Oct 2021 is the 50th anniversary of Magic Kingdom. A lot of people are planning to go then especially because a bunch of the new rides they are working on will be open. Disney has not yet announced when they will start the celebration. One speculation is that it will start in October and continue on for a year. Another is that it will start around Memorial Day of 2021. I think when Disney starts the celebration will have a noticeable impact on crowds that summer.

I'd also love to hear how far in advance people start planning AND how far in advance you typically book.

You can book room-only reservations 499 days ahead of your trip, and then call (or if you're working with a TA, have them call) if packages/discounts become available to see if it makes sense to switch your reservation to a special offer or package deal. Most deals get announced about 4-5 months out, some promotions are a few months long and most have some kind of restrictions on dates, length of stay, and/or resort so it pays to pay attention and explore options as they come up.

We are currently planning our trip in April 2021! Right now I can't do much more than research the current room rates, and mark my calendar for when deals and discounts normally get announced, but we'll be making our preliminary room booking in February 2020 to get the ball rolling!

We're going April 2021 and just started planning. Got our dates picked out and right now I'm just brainstorming possible schedules and ways to make it work with 11 people. I've planned a big family trip before but now we've got more kids spread over a wider age range so I'm just thinking out what approach we want to take to the trip. My fam will be doing US/IOA this time as well which is a HUGE change for us. I haven't been in 20 years.

We rent points so I won't be able to book our room until May.

My oldest daughter is BIG into Disney since our last trip - she spends all her free time reading about WDW and watching park videos so I'm getting her the adult planning books for Christmas and making her a planning journal she can use so she's going to help me this trip.

We’re also considering April 2021 for a trip to celebrate my DH’s 50th. Assuming we go ahead (it’s up to him and he may change to another location) this will be the “epic trip” we’ve always talked about doing. 15 or so nights, including probably 5 at Universal. I’d love to wait until September and really have a good chance to get in on the new rides and potentially Disney’s 50th but I don’t think my nerves can handle another hurricane season lol (would be our 3rd hurricane season trip, though we’ve been lucky so far to not be affected).

I guess we’ll have to start thinking about renting points in May as I think I’d like to stay around Epcot this time or else we’ll probably do POFQ where we stayed once before for a quick 2 night trip and really liked it.

ETA: the POFQ trip actually also finally convinced us we do not need to rent a car. Ride sharing is too cheap and convenient when buses don’t quite work out and with the hotels charging for parking, we’ll stick with DIsney transport and Uber. When we are at Universal we stay at the HRH and never leave the resort too so really it’s a no brainer for us there too.

Last edited:
I am in the middle of planning a June 2021 trip. #6 for us its never to early. Welcome back. I loved Okinawa. Could not wait every time they sent me back to The Rock.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter