Advantage to owning multiple DVC contracts at different Resorts

HallDisney2019

Earning My Ears
Good Morning-

I have noticed members may have 2,3, or 4 smaller contracts (i.e. 75 points) at different resorts vs. 1-2 larger contracts (i.e. 125-150) at the same resort. What are everyone's thoughts as to why some do this? Is it to take advantage of the 11-month window at multiple resorts? I have not looked into if those who have smaller contracts try to purchase the same USE YEAR so the points are received at the exact same time.

Thanks

I have one large contract at gfv - A couple of reasons I would consider - 11 Month window at a resort (Bwv - f&w) and getting a 2nd resort with a 204x exit date thinking to get more points over the short term that I will not need in the future. Of course I like my large contract but could understand advantages of the smaller

I have points across 5 resorts (with an average contract size of ~150 points). This works for us because we take multiple trips a year, and we like to do split stays. Except for OKW points, we book almost exclusively at 11 months.

Small contracts (50-75 points) at multiple resorts also can be made quite flexible with banking/borrowing. For example, you could own at three resorts (e.g.: VGF, Poly, BLT) and do one resort a year and book every year at 11-months using banking/borrowing method.

What are everyone's thoughts as to why some do this?
Often i think it is to have the 11 month advantage for a certain resort.

I myself have 2 -AK and Poly. We bought AK a few years ago so for us at the time it was an economical option for a resort we like. We stayed at Poly and loved it there and wanted the 11 month advantage there - so we just bought a resale. We also have plans to pool the points for 7 month booking at Aulani and hopefully VGC.
Some people might also buy their favorite resort and then buy more bargain points at SSR for 7 month booking.

I guess there are various reasons why people would have multiple contracts.

I have noticed members may have 2,3, or 4 smaller contracts (i.e. 75 points) at different resorts vs. 1-2 larger contracts (i.e. 125-150) at the same resort. What are everyone's thoughts as to why some do this?
In my case it was simply what I felt I needed when I did a particular add on and what DVC was selling at the time.

With a smaller contract, you can bank and borrow to get three years' worth of points in order to make a longer reservation.

I have 5 contracts across 3 resorts. My initial was at SSR for 150 points and is the one I use for my 7 month booking window a lot. I have 2 - 50 point VGC contracts. I thought 50 points would be enough and I could supplement with my SSR contract, but it was not and It is so hard to get into, I could never use my SSR there, so I bought a second and I use those points only at VGC at the 11 month window. Then I have a 75 and a 100 point at AKV. I could only afford 75 when I purchased that one, and then when I got more money, I added the additional 100 points earlier this year. I love staying here so wanted the 11 month option, but I have also used at 7 months too. I hope I am done for now, but I cannot get Boardwalk out of my mind and would love to own there despite the shorter window until it expires.

I have 150/130 VGF contracts. Originally started with 150 and then realized it wasn't enough. So I added another contract at a really good price.

I then wanted BCV for F&W and I also wanted direct benefits, so I got 25 points at BCV. I then realized 25 points by itself is not extremely useful, so I bought another 25 points direct at BCV.

And finally (at least for now), I added on at DRR for 150 points (broken into 100/50 point contracts). With the purchase incentives, it was just too hard to pass up.

I broke up the DRR into two contracts b/c if I even want to downsize, I can easily sell the 50 point contract and it will fetch a premium per point due to it being a small contract.

What if you loved Resort A and Resort B equally?
you want to go week 49 (a high demand week, with not much likelihood of a 7 month switch). One large contracts basically says you are going to stay at resort a every year. Two smaller ones gives you both A and B one every other year.

We own two resorts at the present - OKW (3 contracts) and BWV. We enjoy longer stays in a 1 BR at OKW (parking access is a huge benefit) and have plenty of points. We just purchased 65 BWV points for F & W. In 2020 we plan to stay in a studio at BWV for a couple nights and then move to our 1 BR at OKW. I plan to purchase BRV and possibly AKV resales and rotate split stays of about two weeks, but I will wait a year or so to do that. This year I was able to get 10 nights at OKW at 11 months and 3 nights at BRV months at 6 months by stalking, but I would rather buy where I want to stay and make all reservations at 11 months. I think it is a great idea to change it up every year!

Own at BLT, and am always toying with the idea of adding on at GCV for the purpose of having an 11 month window out in Anaheim (have Family in LA-area we sometimes visit for holidays). Been waiting (foolishly?) for a 2nd Disneyland DVC- but I should probably just bite the bullet on GCV.

At any rate, we live a drivable distance from WDW (long-weekend capable), and focus on non-peak times of year. That usually means we have success securing rooms at BLT- or OKW/SSR as fallbacks. Works for us such that we haven’t needed 11 month windows at multiple WDW properties, etc.

I suppose I would also add that though I enjoy many of the other resorts, so far only BLT (walkable to MK, monorail to Epcot) has captured my imagination such that I was reaching into my wallet.

We have Poly and Riviera. We take 2-3 trips each year but liked the idea of having the home resort advantage at both of those. Instead of 220 points at only one resort, we bought 120 Riviera and then 100 resale Poly. That way we got the resale price advantage on part of our points and the perks of direct as well.

We also chose 2 resorts knowing that if a time ever comes where we only take 1 trip annually, we can bank/borrow points and still alternate resorts each year and have 11 month advantage at both. We DID get the same use year for simplicity of remembering banking/borrowing deadlines and also chose the best one for our most likely travel times.

Another reason we favored smaller contracts was for resale. If we ever have to sell, it seems to be easier to sell contracts in the 100 point range. We could likely sell off the Poly resale points easily and then just hang on to Riviera (hope I never have to sell that one or I'll take a beating, haha)!

We have Poly and Riviera. We take 2-3 trips each year but liked the idea of having the home resort advantage at both of those. Instead of 220 points at only one resort, we bought 120 Riviera and then 100 resale Poly. That way we got the resale price advantage on part of our points and the perks of direct as well.

We also chose 2 resorts knowing that if a time ever comes where we only take 1 trip annually, we can bank/borrow points and still alternate resorts each year and have 11 month advantage at both. We DID get the same use year for simplicity of remembering banking/borrowing deadlines and also chose the best one for our most likely travel times.

Another reason we favored smaller contracts was for resale. If we ever have to sell, it seems to be easier to sell contracts in the 100 point range. We could likely sell off the Poly resale points easily and then just hang on to Riviera (hope I never have to sell that one or I'll take a beating, haha)!

Thank you for all the feedback. Since I am still researching, I guess I am still getting slightly confused. With the borrowing/banking concept, it is likely all of you are talking about borrowing/banking with the same contract and same resort. If you have the same UY, then you get all 220 points the exact same time. However, you must still wait until the 7-month mark to book any vacation at different resorts or book at the 11-month mark for just 120 & then wait to use the remainder; correct?

For example, if you were going to book a vacation requiring 600 points, in your household, you could not book at the 11-month mark. Is my thought process correct?

Thanks

With the borrowing/banking concept, it is likely all of you are talking about borrowing/banking with the same contract and same resort. If you have the same UY, then you get all 220 points the exact same time. However, you must still wait until the 7-month mark to book any vacation at different resorts or book at the 11-month mark for just 120 & then wait to use the remainder; correct?

For example, if you were going to book a vacation requiring 600 points, in your household, you could not book at the 11-month mark. Is my thought process correct?

Thanks

Yes.

Banking and borrowing will never turn Poly points into Riviera points or vice versa.

If you want to book Poly at 11 months out, you absolutely have to have Poly points.

All people are saying is that they might book Poly 1 year at 11 months out with banked plus current points from the Poly contract, and then book Riviera the next year with banked plus current points from the Riviera contract.

Thank you for all the feedback. Since I am still researching, I guess I am still getting slightly confused. With the borrowing/banking concept, it is likely all of you are talking about borrowing/banking with the same contract and same resort. If you have the same UY, then you get all 220 points the exact same time. However, you must still wait until the 7-month mark to book any vacation at different resorts or book at the 11-month mark for just 120 & then wait to use the remainder; correct?

Thanks

Yes, that's correct! The points don't "talk", so to speak. If I want to use all 220 points though at Riviera for example for a 2020 trip, then I would visit Poly in 2019 (with my 100 Poly points I just bought) and bank the 120 Riviera 2019 points. Then in 2020, I'd have up to 240 Riviera points to use (120 from 2019 and 120 from 2020). Then in 2020 I could bank Poly points, and in 2021 I would have 200 Poly points for a 2021 Poly trip. Does that make sense? It's basically banking the opposite resort so you can use double points at once on a single resort each time.

Currently we are visiting more often than once a year so I don't anticipate needing to do this. We are staying at both the Poly and the Riviera this year. If we ever only wanted to take one trip a year though, we could, and we could just use banked points to get more points at each location, while still having home resort advantage on both of those resorts.

Last edited:
One other thing to consider if you want to keep this as an option, is the points chart for each resort. Since Poly only has studios, it didn't make sense to buy as many points there. I chose to have Riviera as the larger contract because it is more expensive to stay there. That's why they weren't 50/50 split between the two resorts.

We have 2 contracts at 2 different resorts with different UYs. It works well for us. We have enough points at each resort for a 1 BR for a week. One is at BWV and we go for a week during F&W. The other is AKL in the spring for F&G .

We have 2 contracts at 2 different resorts with different UYs. It works well for us. We have enough points at each resort for a 1 BR for a week. One is at BWV and we go for a week during F&W. The other is AKL in the spring for F&G .

Gharter - Thanks for the input. This is where I see the most benefit. Having enough points at each for a 1-bdrm for a week. Then if you bank/borrow you have plenty of points to bring family or friends. What is your total combined points?

I think I'm following, but I'm still a little confused. Currently we own 200 resale points at AKL. We love Hilton Head! I am hoping to purchase 75 direct points (because of closing costs, it's actually the better way) at HHI. My UY is June. Let's say I want to stay in a one bedroom at HHI for a week in August, and I book at the 11 month mark with my brand new HHI points. Would I be able to bank my AKL points and combine them with my HHI points at the 7 month mark? I thought as long as you had enough points in your account by your check-in date you were good.

I think I'm following, but I'm still a little confused. Currently we own 200 resale points at AKL. We love Hilton Head! I am hoping to purchase 75 direct points (because of closing costs, it's actually the better way) at HHI. My UY is June. Let's say I want to stay in a one bedroom at HHI for a week in August, and I book at the 11 month mark with my brand new HHI points. Would I be able to bank my AKL points and combine them with my HHI points at the 7 month mark? I thought as long as you had enough points in your account by your check-in date you were good.
You could not swap HHI points used at 11 months out for AKV points at 7 months unless.you were able to make a 100% new booking at 7 months using AKV points.

You are not allowed to block availability at 11 months and then use network points to redeem the block.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!