Advent Calendars

Frozen Canuck

DIS Veteran
September seems too early for me to be thinking about Advent calendars, but I had made a note to myself last year, based on a recommendation on this site, to look for a Bonne Maman® Advent Calendar (jams and jellies) in September, as they usually sell out. (They are currently in stock, if you are interested.)

There are so many different kinds of Advent calendars available that appeal to all ages and interests. Calendars range from the usual $2 chocolate ones from places like Trader Joe's, to Costco's wine and beer Advent calendars, and then the toy-filled ones from places like Lego. I used to buy the Playmobil Advent calendars every year for my kids when they were younger. I still buy all of my kids, even the adult ones, a chocolate calendar every holiday season.

Does your family enjoy advent calendars? Do you look for any unique ones or fill your own? Any suggestions for specialty ones that I should keep my eye out for? I know a lot of the best ones sell out long before the holiday season arrives.

We do all sorts of Advent calendars around here. I didn't grow up with them, but my husband did. Before he'd pick up the chocolate ones but we're not big on chocolate so I started looking into alternatives. For him, we get a candle one which is usually by Yankee Candles however I've ordered custom candles for him to fill out a calendar. Mine changes up every year since it sorta depends on what I'm looking for -- socks, makeup, skincare, and sometimes Legos. We grab the ones that Trader Joe's makes for the pets, though usually the one for dogs works out better than the one for cats as our dog enjoys it while the cats do not.

This year, I'm hoping TJ's has the skincare one again as I got a lot of use out of that. We might get the Lego ones again though and I'm awaiting the candle calendar for my husband. The kiddo might be too young for one so we'll have to see how that goes.

I have always loved Advent calendars! When are kids were young I would buy both the Playmobile and Lego calendars as well as chocolate ones. We also have a wooden one from LL Bean that you fill yourself. I would look for little items all year to put in the calendar.

For the last few years, I have bought the Lindt chocolate ones for everyone and for the last three years I have made my husband a beer advent calendar, which he loves. If we had a Costco around, I would buy one, but since we don't I make one.

My great aunt (my grandmothers sister) used to send my daughters the $2 chocolate ones when they were young.

I love the idea of the beer one since I like trying new beers but have never seen one (not that I have ever actually looked.

We do all sorts of Advent calendars around here. I didn't grow up with them, but my husband did. Before he'd pick up the chocolate ones but we're not big on chocolate so I started looking into alternatives. For him, we get a candle one which is usually by Yankee Candles however I've ordered custom candles for him to fill out a calendar. Mine changes up every year since it sorta depends on what I'm looking for -- socks, makeup, skincare, and sometimes Legos. We grab the ones that Trader Joe's makes for the pets, though usually the one for dogs works out better than the one for cats as our dog enjoys it while the cats do not.

This year, I'm hoping TJ's has the skincare one again as I got a lot of use out of that. We might get the Lego ones again though and I'm awaiting the candle calendar for my husband. The kiddo might be too young for one so we'll have to see how that goes.
There’s a Disney one which has a little story book for every day — so you could get that and read to a little one...available on Amazon.

Last year my youngest had an eye shadow and lipstick one, but I can't remember the brand. I know I ordered it online. This year I'd love to get a tea one for myself.

I’ve always had decorative fabric ones for my girls. I would put a small treat, tiny ornament for the tree they each had in their room, lip balm, nail polish etc. If I was running low on stuff I’d even put in a quarter. They are now 14, 16 and 20 and they still want their calendars.

I want to make one for my daughter with booze in it. You take 24 toilet paper rolls (empty ones), and make them into a tree shape, and put a nip into each one. Seal up with festive paper, put numbers on them, and it's a great little treat. My only problem is, my daughter is 800 miles away, so I have no way to get it to her.

My kids still like the chocolate ones, even though the youngest is 14. I have a craft one. One year, I got the Bonne Marie one, and it was nice, but I didn't eat all the jams. The ones I had were good, though, and there were some interesting flavors in there (pear-quince, purple fig, etc.). It's a nice treat if you're a "toast for breakfast" kind of person.

When my oldest daughter left for college, I made her an “advent calendar “ with 24 small wrapped gifts. What a hit! I’ve done it ever since for both of my kids, and last year I did it for my parents too, and I cannot express how thrilled they were. I just use 24 paper bags, and I put a tiny wrapped gift in each one. For my girls I do chapstick, flair pens, gum, candy, $5 gift cards, etc. The biggest hit was when I included a coffee gift card for their roommate too. $5 and you would have thought I gave them a million dollars. They were so grateful, it was adorable.

We have a wooden advent calendar that we reuse every year. It gets magically filled each day. (The kids love to open the little doors.) I'm going to be very sad when they finally notice I'm the one filling it or that I'm using fall kitkats that I bought on clearance after Halloween.

I'm hoping to score a wine advent calendar for myself this year.

I find that the wine (and beer) ones go really, really fast--you have to have an Aldi's that has them, and get there, right when they open on Day 1. (My Aldi's has been having some stocking issues).

To Emer95's point--I don't do Advent calendars like she does, but my kids love, love, LOVE getting gift cards in their stockings! I go with an assortment--local coffee place, iTunes, X-box for my older son, etc. My oldest lives in Boston, so I get her Dunks, Panera, Target, Chipotle--places she likes to visit, but she's on a pretty tight budget. I swear, the kids would be more thrilled with 5, $10 gift cards than a $50 bill. I don't know why!

Thanks for this thread!
I guess it’s about time to start looking into this.
Christmas is coming.....

Byers are beautifully painted wooden ones made in Germany , cost around $80 but a wonderful keepsake decoration for a new apartment .

Years ago, we got the Star Wars legos one from a friend who worked at a toy store ,the kids enjoyed making the mini figures

Byers are beautifully painted wooden ones made in Germany , cost around $80 but a wonderful keepsake decoration for a new apartment .

Thanks for this recommendation! I have been looking for a wooden/reusable advent calendar for years, but have never found one I really loved. I hadn't heard of the Byers' Choice Advent Calendars before and just looked them up. I really like the Christmas tree model they have.

I buy 7 calendars from Trader Joe's (I think they are only $1? they do have little chocolates) and on Thanksgiving (we host), I give one to each household! I try to get a variety. :)

Years ago, we got the Star Wars legos one from a friend who worked at a toy store ,the kids enjoyed making the mini figures

Yeah, I usually get the Star Wars one for my husband. (Hangs head in shame) He really enjoys it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter