Advent Calendars

Was at Costco yesterday, picked up a Legos-Harry Potter advent calendar. Our DD loves legos and Harry Potter. Our Costco still has not received the beer or Wine advent calendars.

I've gotten David's Teas, L'Occtaine, Bonne Maman and others in the past.
This year I got dd a Sephora one and found a Friends one on Amazon that I pre-ordered.
I don't think I'm going to get any others, dd is the only one not living at home so it gives her a little something to enjoy during the season.

We started doing them for our son a few years ago. The first one was a Paw Patrol one that just had a small piece of chocolate every day. Just to see if he liked it (of course he did). Last year he got a nice Hot Wheels calendar. We've already purchased the Lego City one for this year.

I would love to do one for myself, but I can't think of anything that I would need in such a large quantity! Can I assume that there are calendars out there with an assortment of items, not just one type (like socks and lip balm...I've often thought that I'd like a sock or lip balm advent calendar, but I don't need 24 of either of those...)

We started doing them for our son a few years ago. The first one was a Paw Patrol one that just had a small piece of chocolate every day. Just to see if he liked it (of course he did). Last year he got a nice Hot Wheels calendar. We've already purchased the Lego City one for this year.

I would love to do one for myself, but I can't think of anything that I would need in such a large quantity! Can I assume that there are calendars out there with an assortment of items, not just one type (like socks and lip balm...I've often thought that I'd like a sock or lip balm advent calendar, but I don't need 24 of either of those...)

That's why consumables are popular. Even if you can't, say, have jelly every morning, it's not going to go bad quickly.

The sock ones typically have 12 pairs, which is enough to get anyone through a year or so, IMHO. I say this as the person who does all the laundry (and tears her hair out, trying to match socks).

I was looking online for advent calendars last weekend.

We have a Hallmark felt advent calendar...Christmas tree with 25 ornaments to hang. We have had it since DS was little.

When he went away to college, I started sending a Dylan’s Candy Bar advent calendar. He recently mentioned they only have 24 pieces of candy. He said how can there be no door or candy to open on Christmas! LOL.

I was surprised when I looked online how many only had 24 doors! I had no idea...

I just ordered the Bonne Mamam one for my mom and a make up one I found on Amazon for my youngest. I'll have to think of one for my oldest kid. Maybe just a good chocolate one.

I was looking online for advent calendars last weekend.

We have a Hallmark felt advent calendar...Christmas tree with 25 ornaments to hang. We have had it since DS was little.

When he went away to college, I started sending a Dylan’s Candy Bar advent calendar. He recently mentioned they only have 24 pieces of candy. He said how can there be no door or candy to open on Christmas! LOL.

I was surprised when I looked online how many only had 24 doors! I had no idea...

Technically Advent calendars are only supposed to have 24 compartments, for the 24 days leading up to Christmas(i.e., the period of anticipation/preparation for Jesus' birth). Christmas Day doesn't count as Advent. But if you want to get secular, there really is no need for a 25th door because Christmas Day is when you get all the "real" presents anyway! ;)

Sksjasams, that would be disappointing candy news indeed! I think I know the reason though. The Holy Season of Advent is through Christmas Eve. Christmas Day=no longer Advent. (I am pretty sure, anyway :)) ETA: Dznygrl posted just ahead of me!

Question to anyone who prefers religious Advent calendars (as I do) are there any that are not glittery? I am not a glitter fan at all. Pretty to look at maybe but winds up everywhere! Most of the choices I have seen tend to have glitter. I do like the idea of a felt Christmas Tree that can be re-used each year, something to think about!

Last edited:
I grew up with them and loved them, we always just got the plain ones where there was a different picture behind each window and they were scattered/hidden throughout a picture. My in-laws got my daughter a wooden cottage with pull out drawers and windows on it, and each drawer/window contains a small wooden animal that you then place around/on the cottage. She seems to really enjoy it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter