Adventure by disney, is it worth the price?

gisele2

DIS Veteran
DVC Gold
I always plan our family tri. I have been looking for a african safari. Is it worth it to go with Adventure by Disney?

I occasionally look at posts on the ABD forum on the Disboards. I have never taken an ABD tour. My impression is that ABD is quite expensive, even when compared to similar tours by Tauck, a competitive fairly high-end tour company. I don’t know how much touring in the “Disney bubble“ is worth to you. For itineraries that involve North American destinations, I don’t think the extra cost is worth it.

I occasionally look at posts on the ABD forum on the Disboards. I have never taken an ABD tour. My impression is that ABD is quite expensive, even when compared to similar tours by Tauck, a competitive fairly high-end tour company. I don’t know how much touring in the “Disney bubble“ is worth to you. For itineraries that involve North American destinations, I don’t think the extra cost is worth it.
Thanks, we are used to travel on our own, would be the first group travel for places I would not want to organise, like Vietnam or South Africa. I will look at Tauck.

We haven’t done ABD but have done Gate 1 to Vietnam and several other countries. Excellent tours and guides and well priced. I have friends who love Tauck but it’s a little too pricey for us they are foodies and Tauck seems to do a lot of restaurants. Gate 1 is more 3star than 5 star but have alwAys been fine.

We have gone with Lion World twice. My daughter was 12 on the first trip but didn’t join us on the second one. First part of the trip, we rented a car and drove down to see the Atlantic right whales near shore in Hermanus and then out to the wine lands near Stellenbosch. Also toured through Cape Point. We then flew north to the safari lodge (first trip was at Jackalberry Lodge, second was to Kapama river lodge ). We also stayed at Camp Jabulani which is absolutely amazing and has a herd of elephants which were all rescued. Ended in Zimbabwe at Victoria Falls.

We had an amazing time. We basically took Lion World’s package and then added to it to see the things we wanted. In particular, we wanted the ability to drive and do things on our own like shark cage diving in Gansbaai.

I think the ABD tours sound great although I haven’t done one myself. However, I would rather define my own trip when it’s a place as spectacular as South Africa. lion World was amazing to deal with and accommodated our wants very easily.

I have done 3 Adventures by Disney trips and have loved each and every one of them. The Southern California: Disney Backstage, Hollywood and Disneyland trip (adults only), the Copenhagen Escape (before our cruise) and the Baltic DCL add on. Yes, the trips are expensive (especially when you consider the exchange) but they were worth every penny. As a solo traveller, group travel can be awkward but knowing that I will have something in common (Disney) with the people I am travelling with made me more comfortable. I have met the most amazing people on my trips who I am still in contact with, as well as some of the ABD guides. On the California trip, you get to go places that the general public are not allowed - backstage at DL & DCA, Disney Imagineering, Jim Henson Studios as well as the Disney Studios. The trips I have been on have also included some surprises and experiences that are not detailed in the itinerary. The Baltic cruise DCL add on was so worth the money - there were 42 of us plus 2 guides. We were the first ones off in each port and the last ones usually getting back on the ship. All our excursions were handled and we got the equivalent of about 2-3 different DCL excursions in each port. There are many reviews of ABD trips on the ABD forum on the Disboards. It is possible that now because of Covid, many of the experiences we have had in the past may/could be changed, but if ABD is something you are interested in, I would keep an eye on the ABD forum on the Disboards, there is a lot of useful information.

Yeah I think it really depends on where your trip is going, and how familiar you are with that already. But they do try to go the extra route for the Disney touch right?

Mickey&JoshNut said all that I was going to say. I, too, am a solo traveler, and I've found the ABD groups to be most welcoming. I've made lifelong friends with whom I now travel. And I agree that it depends on the location, especially if there could potentially be a language issue. The guides were so helpful when we went to China/Tokyo Disneyland. I would never have gone to China or Japan on my own. And we've signed up for Egypt next year. Again, I wouldn't go there without being in a group, with local guides who know the language. (Special fun fact: we apparently get an armed guard with us at all times). I've done 3 ABDs: Backstage Magic, China with the TDL add-on, and Knights and Lights (London/Paris). For me, it's money well spent. I'm signed up for two next year: Egypt, and Backstage Magic again (it's really fun).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!