Advice: DVC - Direct/Resale and which one?

BruinEd03

DIS Veteran
Thinking of purchasing DVC this year or next year.

Background: Payment in cash, Wife and me, and maybe a kid (in the future). Looking primarily at Studio right now, but maybe 1BR in the future. Try to go to DW about once every year or two for about 5-6 days (would probably be 1 / year if we get DVC). We love Disney and our other vacations are Disney Cruises. However, my wife also likes being able to access the DVC Member Cruises, and also she would like being treated as being part of the club (e.g., she doesn't get the concept of buying and not getting recognized as a member). We currently visit in September (when there are reduced school crowds) and holidays (due to the promos that they've had for Ultimate Christmas Packages). Haven't been during the middle of summer (heard there is oppressive head + humidity), but might not be able to avoid that in a few years if we do have a kid. Don't want to go in January/February - don't like to use vacation days early in the year.

If direct, would limit to 100 pts, if not, it would be at 100 pts up to whatever number of pts we could get at the same cost as the direct. Also, we could add on later.

Resorts we're interested in:

Saratoga Springs: 100 pts., $16,500 Direct, about $10,000
Pros: We've stayed there before and enjoined it; refurbishment will make it look nicer. Sort of close, but not really far from everything. Access to Saratoga Springs. Lowest upfront cost. Cons: Can be a bit of a hike in an open area to get to building. Regardless of resort, you can book at 7 months, so not really much of a home advantage. Resort is sort of spread out.

Boulder Ridge: 100 pts., $18,600 Direct, about $10,000 Resale
Pros: Love the theming inside the main lobby. Close to Magic Kingdom via Ferry or Bus. Cons: Dated rooms (until refurb). Heard it's difficult to get a Studio. Have not stayed here beforehand. Expires in 2042 - so only 22 years (will be in 50s at that point).

Copper Creek: 100 pts., $22,000 Direct, about $15,000 Resale
Pros: Same as Boulder Ridge. Contract lasts much longer. Cons: That upfront pricing! Really difficult to get Studio.

Animal Kingdom Lodge: 100 pts., $18,600 Direct, about $10,700 Resale
Pros: My wife loves animals. The main building has great theme-ing and from what I hear, great dining. Cons: Close to Animal Kingdom, but far, far away from Magic Kingdom.

What about purchasing 50 pts now, and 50 pts next year if going direct? (no incentives either way).

Any thoughts on direct/resale + which resort or other resorts to consider?

I'd go with Copper Creek resale. It sounds like you would be really happy staying there so as long as you take advantage of the 11 month booking window you will be good getting any room you'd like. The long contract also helps with the overall cost in the long-term. Otherwise go with Saratoga resale to save the most money and take a chance on the resorts you can get into at 7 months.
The extra points/nights you can stay from buying resale vs the 100 points buying direct will outweigh the perks of buying direct in my opinion. I'll take extra nights at a Disney Resort over a moonlight magic party any day.

Boulder Ridge no, too short a contract.
Animal Kingdom is a good buy- if you don’t mind the lack of walking opportunities, there is nowhere to walk at all, important to us, stay there first if you haven’t, before buying for sure.
Copper Creek is a great resort, has to be a top choice, long contract. But it’s expensive to buy in. With our teenage kids I would not wish to be in a studio most stays now, and go for 1 beds. Remember 1 beds also have great 7 month availability and will for example, allow you to stay most resorts most times of year no problem- that is an amazing facility to have. I have just come back from 6 nights Beach Club, 5 nights BLT over Xmas and New Year- try that with a studio, good luck!. You may well want to go to 1 beds eventually.
Saratoga- the new rooms are second best on property after Riviera, and the 1 beds in particular are fantastic and the only resort with 2 Murphy beds aside from Riviera in the 1 beds. Studios only have 4 sleep surfaces though. Seriously think about buying here as when the rooms are done up, it is a fabulous value, you’d get 50% more points for the same money than Copper Creek- 50% is a lot. You could already be halfway towards enough points for a 1 bed.
Also take into account that if you like it, you will be adding on. Will you want all your points same resort and use year for ease?
Aside from Riviera, it makes no sense buying direct.

I added 50 points direct at CCV. So it ended up being 100 points since they still had 2019 points in my use year. I did a small add on since it's so expensive. I didn't want any sort of restrictions on my points, so I drank the kool-aid and just bought direct. Good luck with your purchase. I don't think there is a bad choice out of all the DVC resorts. I've read the boards for quite some time and it really helped shorten the learning curve. DVC member since 2015.

Unless you will go every year or with a max of 11 months between trips there is no need to think about direct.

The most valuable perk for buying direct is the discounted Gold AP. That requires you to go at least twice per every 12 months.

With that being said I would go with SSR, its a great great resort and if you expect to go during the summer there might not be any problems switching to another resort at the 7 months window. However that could potentially change in the future but no one knows.

Another option is to buy two smaller contracts maybe 50 points each and one year you use current points and next years to visit SSR and the year after you do the same for the other resort. It will cost more in upfront costs but will give you more flexibility.

You should also look at annual dues. While they increase at different rates some resorts have generally been lower than others.

I own resale at SSR, one of the advantages of that resort is that I can often plan at 8-9 months rather than 11 months. I love some of the other resorts but I like not fighting for studios at the 11 month mark. I can’t ask for leave from work 11 months in advance so booking at that window has a lot of risks. I do like to swap at 7 months and try different resorts but I‘m happy with SSR if that is all that’s available

For your situation I would buy SSR resale. Just too hard to pass up the value especially if the budget is only 100 points direct. Need to get as many as you can.

I'd go with Copper Creek resale. It sounds like you would be really happy staying there so as long as you take advantage of the 11 month booking window you will be good getting any room you'd like. The long contract also helps with the overall cost in the long-term. Otherwise go with Saratoga resale to save the most money and take a chance on the resorts you can get into at 7 months.
The extra points/nights you can stay from buying resale vs the 100 points buying direct will outweigh the perks of buying direct in my opinion. I'll take extra nights at a Disney Resort over a moonlight magic party any day.

Any thoughts on the DVC member cruises? If we wanted to eventually get the perks is it better to buy direct now, or buy resale first and then add direct on later?

Another wrinkle - we will probably be going to Aulani in 2022. Does that then lean towards Saratoga Springs resale?

Any thoughts on the DVC member cruises? If we wanted to eventually get the perks is it better to buy direct now, or buy resale first and then add direct on later?

The member cruises take place in low seasons for the routes they follow and have large upcharges for cost. While people enjoy them, I would never buy direct just for access to them, especially if you think you will have a child or children. They do not fit school schedules.

Basically, you are paying more to pay a lot more for something you may do once or twice.

Last edited:
I don't think this has been mentioned, but if you buy resale, you won't be able to use your points at the Riviera. Don't know if that's important to you, but it is a consideration. (Disclaimer: I don't own DVC, but I read the DVC forums all the time!)

About cruises: exchanging points for cruises is a poor value. You are better off renting your points and then paying for the cruise in cash, or using David's exchange program that basically is the same thing. You can book a member cruise with cash. I don't believe you need to be a direct purchaser to go on a member cruise if paying in cash.

Your travel times align with DVC's busy season (September to mid January). For many of the resorts studios accommodations, you will need to book at the 11 month time period. Opportunities to switch to other resorts studio accommodations at the 7 month period will be very limited.

Whatever number of points you begin with, you'll end up owning more. Extra trips, just because. Extra days, wouldn't it be nice? 1 bedroom, wouldn't that be luxurious? 2 bedrooms, we can take our friends/family! Been there, done that!

One thing to note. If you buy resale now, and become a member, you can then add on points direct, starting at 25 for older resorts, and 50 points for CCV and RIV.

Once you reach the 100 point minimum for direct owned points, member benefits will kick in...you do not need to purchase all at once,

Of course, Disney could always raise that threshold again, but, as long as you reach that number, you will qualify for member benefits,

In terms of resort, CCV will be very hard in a studio in December and other times of the year, AKV and SSR will give you a much easier chance to book those trips at 11 months in a studio and then you can try to trade out at 7 monnths,

However, as you mention, they tend to be the last to go, so one doesn’t need home resort advantage as much.

If you have a mix of resale and direct points, just remember resale can’t be used at RiV or any new resorts moving forward, Direct points can, so to use them together, you’d only be able to book L14.

However, if you ever get to the 100 direct, then those could be saved for times you want to stay at RIV or new resorts down the road,

As already mentioned, using for cruises is not the best value for the points. However, if using the points for a cruise will replace a trip to Disney, regardless of the value, then there is a benefit for having that flexibility..though you could simply rent your points and use the cash for a cruise..but that does require someone to be comfortable with the renting process.

Choose the resort where you think you’d be the happiest if that is the place you ended up because you can’t trade out at 7 months. Studios are becoming more difficult at 7 months at all the near park resorts..

The one benefit to getting more points via resale for a similar cost as paying for direct, is the ability to book 1 bedrooms which will open up more options at 7 months.

Unless you will go every year or with a max of 11 months between trips there is no need to think about direct.

The most valuable perk for buying direct is the discounted Gold AP. That requires you to go at least twice per every 12 months.

With that being said I would go with SSR, its a great great resort and if you expect to go during the summer there might not be any problems switching to another resort at the 7 months window. However that could potentially change in the future but no one knows.

Another option is to buy two smaller contracts maybe 50 points each and one year you use current points and next years to visit SSR and the year after you do the same for the other resort. It will cost more in upfront costs but will give you more flexibility.
Mostly agree, but I do enjoy the after hours member events, DVC lounge at EPCOT and being able to use my points at future resorts. I'm already a pass holder and Florida resident so I don't use it for that.

Mostly agree, but I do enjoy the after hours member events, DVC lounge at EPCOT and being able to use my points at future resorts. I'm already a pass holder and Florida resident so I don't use it for that.
Just know what having those perks will cost you. We only want you to make an informed decision.

IMO, it's perfectly OK to buy direct if you value the perks. It doesn't always have to be solely about the $$.

One thing to note. If you buy resale now, and become a member, you can then add on points direct, starting at 25 for older resorts, and 50 points for CCV and RIV.

Once you reach the 100 point minimum for direct owned points, member benefits will kick in...you do not need to purchase all at once,

Of course, Disney could always raise that threshold again, but, as long as you reach that number, you will qualify for member benefits,

I recently purchased a resale contract at Poly. If I used this approach to gain benefits, would I have to wait until the 7 month window to use these direct points at my home resort? I couldn't justify the $245/pt at the resort we wanted.

Just know what having those perks will cost you. We only want you to make an informed decision.

IMO, it's perfectly OK to buy direct if you value the perks. It doesn't always have to be solely about the $$.
I agree, that's why I added a small contract direct. I know I overpaid, but saw a few resales with my use year that were priced pretty good. I decided to go direct because I didn't want to deal with the restrictions. It's also pretty nice to make a phone call and put it on my credit card and the points are there a few hours later, they even let me split it up into 3 payments. My other contract is resale bought in 2015 so I already had the blue card perks. I was debating on adding on at the Riviera Resort, but I ended up adding at Copper Creek.

I agree, that's why I added a small contract direct. I know I overpaid, but saw a few resales with my use year that were priced pretty good. I decided to go direct because I didn't want to deal with the restrictions. It's also pretty nice to make a phone call and put it on my credit card and the points are there a few hours later, they even let me split it up into 3 payments. My other contract is resale bought in 2015 so I already had the blue card perks. I was debating on adding on at the Riviera Resort, but I ended up adding at Copper Creek.
Do you think copper creek is worth $32 more a point over Riviera direct? Im in same boat lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!