Advice: DVC - Direct/Resale and which one?

I recently purchased a resale contract at Poly. If I used this approach to gain benefits, would I have to wait until the 7 month window to use these direct points at my home resort? I couldn't justify the $245/pt at the resort we wanted.

Yes, any points bought direct through Disney follow the same hm9e resort rules. So, if you want to use direct points at Poly during home resort have to be Poly points,,,which, as you said, are quite expensive.

If you bought a different home resort direct, then yes, those could only be used at Poly at 7 months

Do you think copper creek is worth $32 more a point over Riviera direct? Im in same boat lol
Not sure if it's worth more, but I think I'm going to like being at Copper Creek more than I would Riviera. Although access to EPCOT and H.S. should be pretty good from Riviera. I'm not in a hurry to get to the parks, so I think the Wilderness lodge will have more options for the family to enjoy.

Do you think copper creek is worth $32 more a point over Riviera direct? Im in same boat lol

For what it's worth, we had the same thoughts last year and picked CCV. A few things swayed us, namely the resale restrictions and the ability to get a runDisney studio GW, but we found we just liked CCV/WL a lot better as well.

I recently purchased a resale contract at Poly. If I used this approach to gain benefits, would I have to wait until the 7 month window to use these direct points at my home resort? I couldn't justify the $245/pt at the resort we wanted.

Direct and resale points at your home resort both enjoy the 11 month booking window.

Buying Riv to book Poly would require a wait until the 7 month mark.

This is something I put together that gives a high-level idea of the cost broken down in “year 1” based upon Disney’s current pricing and maintenance fees. This notably doesn’t factor in borrowing cost(s), closing cost(s), etc. This also obviously doesn’t estimate for costs in later years since maintenance fees fluctuate and “cost of money” isn’t factored. As I have said before, “cost of money” can be a materially large component to overall cost over the life of the contract. This is based upon my calc and info I found...please let me know if something looks off.

Attachments

• ED9C5BFF-9D1E-40A4-B1F5-95832EF6E705.jpeg
    ED9C5BFF-9D1E-40A4-B1F5-95832EF6E705.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 24
Here is my story if you can take any help from it:
Husband and I bought BRV because it was at a price/point where we could buy at a resort we love and pay cash for the contract. We were able to buy more points than we thought we needed (150) because we went resale. We liked that the studios sleep 5 people. I'll be in my 50s when the contract expires but figure in 2042 my kids (or even future kids) will be grown by then and who knows how or where I will want to vacation. Studios aren't tough to book at 11 months. The rooms need TLC but that is coming! Plus all BRV seems to pass ROFR right now.

Then we added a contact at animal kingdom to get the longer expiration. No cons in my opinion. All transportation can be hard at times but AKV isn't THAT far away.

I like that having 2 contracts with different expirations is giving me the option to book 1 bedrooms now by using both contracts and then studios once BRV expires and it's just me and my husband.

Not sure if anyone mentioned, but have you thought about 2 home resorts via resale instead of 1 small contract direct? You could almost buy two 100 or smaller point contracts resale for close to the same price as one 100 point contract direct...... but if you do consider this do the same use year.....

It does bother me to not have all the perks, but when I'm constantly borrowing points (because somehow I still don't have enough) I'm glad I went resale and got more points for my money.

Good luck and welcome! It's a really fun and exciting time for you. Enjoy this process!

Also, having more points has allowed me to stay at many more resorts because I have been able to find 1 bedrooms or even 2 bedrooms which have more availability than studios.

Last edited:
Here is my story if you can take any help from it:
Husband and I bought BRV because it was at a price/point where we could buy at a resort we love and pay cash for the contract. We were able to buy more points than we thought we needed (150) because we went resale. We liked that the studios sleep 5 people. I'll be in my 50s when the contract expires but figure in 2042 my kids (or even future kids) will be grown by then and who knows how or where I will want to vacation. Studios aren't tough to book at 11 months. The rooms need TLC but that is coming! Plus all BRV seems to pass ROFR right now.

Then we added a contact at animal kingdom to get the longer expiration. No cons in my opinion. All transportation can be hard at times but AKV isn't THAT far away.

I like that having 2 contracts with different expirations is giving me the option to book 1 bedrooms now by using both contracts and then studios once BRV expires and it's just me and my husband.

Not sure if anyone mentioned, but have you thought about 2 home resorts via resale instead of 1 small contract direct? You could almost buy two 100 or smaller point contracts resale for close to the same price as one 100 point contract direct...... but if you do consider this do the same use year.....

It does bother me to not have all the perks, but when I'm constantly borrowing points (because somehow I still don't have enough) I'm glad I went resale and got more points for my money.

Good luck and welcome! It's a really fun and exciting time for you. Enjoy this process!

Also, having more points has allowed me to stay at many more resorts because I have been able to find 1 bedrooms or even 2 bedrooms which have more availability than studios.
Wondering if when you purchase another contract at a different resort that have the same use year, can you use all points at the 11 month mark to book at either resort? So say you have 100 points at BRV and 100 points at AKV. Can you use all 200 points at the 11 month mark at AKV?

Wondering if when you purchase another contract at a different resort that have the same use year, can you use all points at the 11 month mark to book at either resort? So say you have 100 points at BRV and 100 points at AKV. Can you use all 200 points at the 11 month mark at AKV?
No. Points never change home resort so you can only use them at another resort at 7 months, regardless of what else you own

You can however alternate banking or borrowing. For instance bank BRV points one year and use AKV. Then you'll have 200 BRV points the next year to use at the 11 month window. This method would allow you to work with 200 points at BRV and 200 points at AKV on alternate years.

OR

you can book a split stay and then try to change half of it at the 7 month window.

If you think you might resell in the future, Copper Creek will have a better resale value. Riviera resale is only good at Riviera.

If you're looking at travelling mostly in September every year, there is a quite a bit of availability at 7 months or to walk reasonably. With only 100ish points you can always book ssr and see what's available at 7 months but we have generally been booking 1 or two bedrooms so availability can change.

We usually split stay but the last few years we have been been able to book at least four days in a studio at poly, vgf, BLT and two bedrooms and one bedrooms pretty much anywhere at wdw. Having said that we may be buying our next contract at vgf in a year or two to ensure we can go at busier times and get at least 5 nights in a one bedroom.

I think ccv is a good buy, we own some points at Akv which is also good. If you are dead set on booking studios then I'd say buy where you want to stay; if you're family is growing, I'd personally go with a small contract with the cheapest points/dues combo. I wouldn't be too concerned about the 2042 end date but that's personal.

Good luck! September is an awesome time to go to wdw

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter