Advice for 1 day at DL

NEMouse

Earning My Ears
We have the opportunity to spend a day at DL in April (just after food & wine ends). My son is 9, Star Wars and Pixar fan but not into roller coasters. I am used to WDW but haven’t been to DL in a very long time.
I am thinking nonhopper to DL, not CA Adventure. Any tips, suggestions, must knows? I know nothing about Max Pass and planning on staying at nonDisney hotel.
If this has been answered before, can you please direct me to where I should look?

Thanks for any and all help🤗

If budget isn't a huge concern, I really suggest the Park Hopper + MaxPass in order to make the most of one day. The reason is that almost all of Pixar is in DCA. If your son is a Marvel fan, there's also a big Marvel area with lots of meet & greets. Having MaxPass plus the Park Hopper will allow you to line up rides in both parks and keep moving fairly efficiently through the day without waiting in lots of long lines.

If budget reaalllly isn't a concern, try to get a room even for one night at one of the Disney hotels, that way you will be able to enter one of the parks an hour early (depending on the day you choose). That early hour really makes a big difference especially when you only have one day to visit.

I understand not everyone has the same priorities or budget - my suggestions are only based on my own preferences to "max out" what we can do in a day. If are good with just being there, taking things as they come, wandering around and enjoying the atmosphere, and checking out a few rides, then you'll be fine with staying offsite and sticking to one park. If Star Wars is the priority, you have to choose DL. Hope this helps!

I vote strongly in favor of only going to DL. One day isn’t nearly enough for both parks and I’ve always liked DL far more than DCA. I visit DL about 50 times a year and DCA maybe as much as twice. I also encourage you strongly to get MaxPass. It’ll make things easier and since you’ll only be there for one day it’ll be worth the money.

As to suggestions, before I moved out here I’d make a plan for the first several hours; which rides to hit first; which were must-rides, which could be skipped. I’m happy to send you some park maps if it’ll help. Shoot me a direct message if you’re interested. Also, if you want to eat at Blue Bayou or any of the other other reservations-required place(s), book them now.

This is one of my most important pieces of advice for one-day park visitors: make rope drop and arrive at the park gates at least 45 minutes prior to the park open. Bear in mind that Tuesday’s, Thursdays and Saturdays are EMH/MM days. In that case you can arrive a little later since even if you’re first in line there will still be 1,000 people ahead of you in Tomorrowland and Fantasyland, unless, of course, you aim to go to NOS or SWL.

One other note: make use of single-rider lines. Often when the line for Space Mountain is 60-75 minutes, the single-rider line will be 2-3 minutes. That also allows you to save your FP/MP for something else.

Hope this all helps!

Some threads with great information to help with your planning and decision making:
* DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here! -- from the sticky threads at the top of the first page -- tons of helpful information here!
From that sticky:
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets -- a classic thread and a must read for you!
HydroGuy Tips Compilation -- so many helpful threads here!
From that thread:
"Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" by @Skyegirl1999 - www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/ -- ask all your FP/MP questions here! You'll get great help!
New SWGE Superthread! Now Open to All! (6/24/2019) -- ask any SWGE questions here!
Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread *No Ride Spoilers Please* -- keep up to date before your trip on how things are going with the newest SWGE ride

Personally, I would do the park hoppers. Hopping is so easy at DLR (the parks are about a football field's length apart). And your son's interests are divided between the parks: SWGE is in DL and Pixar Pier and Cars Land are in DCA. And all are worth seeing. SWGE is lots of fun, both rides should be running well by the time of your trip, and you can make reservations in advance to build a droid, build a lightsaber, and visit the cantina, if these things interest you and your son. In DCA, Cars Land is amazing -- try catch the neon lighting on Rte. 66 at dusk -- magical! Just like in the movie. :) RSR is a wonderful ride, especially at night. Pixar Pier is lots of fun. One day in both parks should be just enough time to get a taste of what DLR can offer -- and whether you might want to plan a return trip some day!

We have the opportunity to spend a day at DL in April (just after food & wine ends). My son is 9, Star Wars and Pixar fan but not into roller coasters. I am used to WDW but haven’t been to DL in a very long time.
I am thinking nonhopper to DL, not CA Adventure. Any tips, suggestions, must knows? I know nothing about Max Pass and planning on staying at nonDisney hotel.
If this has been answered before, can you please direct me to where I should look?

Thanks for any and all help🤗
MaxPass is a MUST if you can afford it. Being able to get fast passes efficiently saves sooooooo much time, which is critical for a one day visit. Use mobile ordering though the Disneyland app to save time too.

ITA with the other poster about single rider lines. Often you end up in the same vehicle with your companions anyway.

Definitely get MaxPass, it just makes getting FP‘s so much easier. You basically just get them through your phone similar to WDW but do note there are far less attractions that have FP available.

As for hoppers, I would say you’ll be fine without them. DL has more attractions than MK so can easily fill a day on its own. Having hoppers is great with MaxPass so you can get FP’s for things like RSR, Guardians, TSMM etc while in DL but much better to do that with multiple days IMO.

Remember that what you do see and experience will make you forget about what you don’t.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!