Advice Needed (Polynesian vs Boardwalk vs other)

cdispoto

Earning My Ears
I stayed at the Polynesian last year in January. It was a great time but also super expensive. Checking rates for January 2019 I am debating between the Polynesian and the Boardwalk. My wife loves being on the monorail but for six nights we could save $700+ and be within walking distance of EPCOT and Hollywood Studios.

So is the Boardwalk comparable as far as access and amenities? For example, if Polynesian is 10/10 is Boardwalk 8/10? Is that different worth saving $700.

Are there any other options I should consider?

We have stayed at both and enjoyed both. Captain Cooks was better quick service food than the QS available at BW. Although whenever we got food to take back to the room from CC, it took more than 30 minutes, so it's hard to call that "quick". The monorail is great, but I love walking to a park. We like to eat at Epcot, so walking distance to Epcot is a huge win. For $700, I'd vote Boardwalk. I don't think you can go wrong either way.... Good luck convincing your wife. :)

We stayed at Poly in May last year and after that I will have a hard time justifying cost based on the monorail. It was down for most of our stay and once we boarded and then they announced they would not be going to the Contemporary. We were trying to take it to TTC so that was a hassle. If we had known we would've just walked over to TTC from Poly. Poly was our dream resort but one stay there was enough, for many reasons. For me it's just a 5/10. Our favorite MK area resort is GF. We had a room in Conch Key and took the little boat every time we went to MK. It was a nice short walk, and the boat was more dependable than the monorail. BWI is very nice (we were upgraded to the VP suite there once!) but our favorite Epcot resort is Beach Club. The club level there is fantastic! The pool there is nicer than BWI, IMO. Our kids said the clown side hurt their bottoms, but the pool at BC was fun for everyone. We've stayed at nearly all the deluxe resorts and I'd say they're all pretty comparable as far as amenities.

I think you should discuss what you are expecting from your Disney vacation and where you think you might be spending most of your time. When it comes down to it these resort differ by:
  • theming (poly vs ocean resort boardwalk)
  • location (MK vs Epcot)
  • dining options (MK resort vs Epcot area resorts/WS restaurants)
  • views (Disney icons vs Epcot Boardwalk)
  • room size (original resort have slightly larger rooms)
  • transportation options (PR for MK, BWI for Epcot and DS)
  • crowds - MK draws larger crowds to monorail resorts

I stayed at the Polynesian last year in January. It was a great time but also super expensive. Checking rates for January 2019 I am debating between the Polynesian and the Boardwalk. My wife loves being on the monorail but for six nights we could save $700+ and be within walking distance of EPCOT and Hollywood Studios.

So is the Boardwalk comparable as far as access and amenities? For example, if Polynesian is 10/10 is Boardwalk 8/10? Is that different worth saving $700.

The Boardwalk Inn is much prettier than the Polynesian, and it's also more peaceful. We also prefer its pool, but that doesn't count as you're going in January. The Polynesian has more and better food options, as the Boardwalk has no restaurants inside it. The walk from the BWI to HS takes 15-20 minutes, so there is nothing very convenient about that except the ability to skip bus lines. It used to be a pretty walk, but isn't right now due to the Star Wars construction. One pro of BWI is that you can walk to Fantasia mini-golf, but again, I wonder if you'd be doing that in January.

Since it's a winter trip and your wife loves the monorail, I'd stick with the Polynesian, as the convenience of that can't be beat, especially if it's a Magic Kingdom-heavy trip. The Boardwalk Inn is a beautifully-themed resort, though, and there is nothing wrong with it. I personally prefer it to the Polynesian.

Last edited:
We actually prefer BWI to Poly. I do love the theming at Poly, but I find the resort to be incredibly chaotic and loud. Boardwalk Inn is much more laid back. I love the turn-of-the-century Boardwalk theming. They have nightly entertainment and games on the Boardwalk and, as you know, you can walk or boat to two parks and a ton of restaurants which makes it incredibly convenient. I would give it a try!

I’d choose Boardwalk over the Poly most of the time and definitely for $700 savings — walk to Epcot or DHS, proximity to dining, including at Swan and Dolphin (I’m referring to table service options - including bars/lounges, quick serve a bit lacking), I’m not a fan of the clown pool but love the two quiet pools. As others suggested, really comes down to what your priorities are for the trip.

Is your focus Magic Kingdom or Epcot/HS? My husband and I are Boardwalk people. We eat 6 out of 7 nights at a restaurant in Epcot,studios or one of the close resorts. We’ve stayed at the poly twice and boardwalk 9 times, so you know my pick

We've stayed at both and while my favorite resort is the Poly (and always at the top of my list when planning a trip), I loved everything about BWI. As much as I love the Poly, I wouldn't hesitate to go with BWI, especially for $700 savings. Since you've stayed at Poly already, I think BWI might be worth a try. With that said, you really can't go wrong with either one, IMO, as both are great resorts. Good luck!

We stayed at both and I always say if its a money issue and your comparing an apple with an apple (deluxe vs. deluxe) go with the resort that will save you the money...not that the mouse
won't take it anyway...:rotfl2:

I prefer the Boardwalk. I think the lobby and rooms are prettier and the pool is generally less crowded. Also, it is a lot of fun to be able to go out and stroll the Boardwalk at night and watch the buskers. The only thing I would say is a drawback is that there is no real restaurant in the Boardwalk Inn itself. You have to go out to the Boardwalk, but then you have lots of options or it is a quick walk to eat at Epcot. You don't say if it is just you and your wife or if there are children involved, but a stroll on the Boardwalk at night can be romantic or a fun family activity.

Our family just did a split stay in July between the Poly and BWI. We loved both resorts for different reasons. My son loved the clown pool at BWI over the volcano pool at Poly. He was unhappy with no quick service options at the BWI. We had to walk over to the Beach Club to get those darn Mickey Waffles lol

I would do the Boardwalk. We are doing our first trip there next month.

I have stayed at the Poly and very much enjoyed it but the monorail is so iffy. Sometimes it's up, sometimes it's not. You can't beat relying on your legs for two parks.

We also prefer the vibe of the Epcot area resorts.

I think you should discuss what you are expecting from your Disney vacation and where you think you might be spending most of your time. When it comes down to it these resort differ by:
  • theming (poly vs ocean resort boardwalk)
  • location (MK vs Epcot)
  • dining options (MK resort vs Epcot area resorts/WS restaurants)
  • views (Disney icons vs Epcot Boardwalk)
  • room size (original resort have slightly larger rooms)
  • transportation options (PR for MK, BWI for Epcot and DS)
  • crowds - MK draws larger crowds to monorail resorts

Agree. Before I book any resort I determine where we are spending most of our time. F&W? Epcot resort. MK or very relaxed trip? I would book the Poly or the Grand.

Personally, if I book an Epcot resort I choose the Veach Club.

Another vote for Boardwalk. Nothing better than walking out of Epcot after IllumiNations. No lines, no waiting on bus/monorail. I LOVE visiting Polynesian but the cost to stay there is too rich for my blood. And you can't walk to any park and the monorail has its set of problems. The Epcot Resorts are beautiful and you can easily walk around and explore all 5 of them (Swan, Dolphin, Yacht, Beach) and there are probably 20 or more restaurants plus quick access to the World Showcase restaurants. My very favorite area!

Last edited:
I would definitely save my $700 and go with BWI. If the Yacht Club is available that would also be a great option, it's my personal favorite resort so I am always biased towards it. I think all of the Epcot area resorts are fantastic, plus you can't beat the convenience of being near two parks. It's an easy walk to Epcot and a nice relaxing walk or boat ride to HS. I love being close to the World Showcase and all of the restaurants it has to offer. Depending on when you go in January Epcot may be having the Festival of the Arts, which is a lovely event. Walking the boardwalk at night is so lovely. I also like to think of what I could do with the money I'm saving. So for me saving $700 would mean I would probably book a dessert party/tour/hard ticket event with the money I would be saving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!