Advice needed: Small contract and member to member renting?

nmlagrange

Earning My Ears
I am not a current DVC member but I have been researching for almost a year and seem nearly ready to buy. I am looking at buying a small contract of between 75 and 100 points, and then renting additional points as needed from other DVC members (not Disney directly). I came into this idea by visiting a page on DVCStore where DVC members can rent points to other members. I'm guessing we'd rent about 200 each time and we plan on vacationing about every other year. Why am I interested in this?
  1. We would like to visit different resorts during our stay. We plan on always doing split stays with a few days at our home resort and the remaining days at the other resort we want to stay at. Since we are always looking to change things up, I am interested in renting other member’s points at these other resorts, but have questions…
    1. If we rent other member’s points, how does the point transfer work? Does it come into my account where I can use them like my own?
    2. I want to book resorts at the 11 month window. Can I do that with rented points from the resort we want to stay at?
Other reasons why I like this idea, but they are less important than the above reason: Buying a smaller contract would be easier to handle financially in the beginning, rather than committing to a larger contract or even a couple of medium ones. Its also less of a commitment in general so I would feel less obligated to take trips because we have to use the points and would be easier to sell if we didn’t want to do it at all anymore.

Any answers to my questions would be appreciated, and I would also appreciate input on the logic of my plan. Although the plan makes sense to me, I dont have first hand experience with DVC so perhaps it really wouldn't work.

Thank you!

You are only allowed one transfer in or out every year. So, that would give you 11 month booking advantage in one resort you do not own.

There are two different things, Renting and transferring,

Renting is when a DVC owners uses their points to make a reservation for someone else on their account. It stays with the owner and the renter, even if a DVC owner, has no control of it. They can’t change dates, names, etc. And, until check in, the owner could cancel it,

Transferring is when one DVC owner transfers their points to another DVC owner, Its One time per UY, in or out, and technically not something that is allowed to be done for a fee...though it happens....since DVC won’t get involved if there is an issue

Once points are transferred, the original owner has no recourse to get them back and they are now in control of DVC owner who got them.

Up until a few weeks ago, transferred points could not be used online which was troublesome when wanting a hard to book room as you lost an hour when having to call, Now that you can use them online it’s easier, But, you do have to always make sure you get points that are valid for your trip because they don’t change UY or home resort.

I think in your case, and in starting small, as well as wanting to change it up every trip, renting would make more sense since the transfer is only one per UY.

Thank you so much! I did not realize there were two different methods, transferring and renting. That makes things much more clear. Thanks again!

After you rent or transfer a few times, you'll probably wish you had more points of your own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts