Advice needed... Where do we start.

amazon

Earning My Ears
My wife, self and 5 year old son travel to DLP on the 6th August staying at the Dream Castle Hotel. With so much to do and see, it is difficult to know where to start. I have studied the posts on this brilliant forum looking for tips from the more seasoned DLP experts and although very illuminating, I guess what I'm looking for is a more personalised itinerary. Bearing in mind our 5 year old son is not the bravest, can any seasoned veteran suggest an ordered route we should follow so that we make the most of our 5 day park hopper tickets.

I promise to give a full acount with photographs, on our return.

We've had DD's and DS who were not the most adventerous at 5. Fantasyland will be your friend :) As you can't benefit from EMH aim to be at the part for opening. I'd go for Fantasyland on the first day and try to do as many of the rides as possible.
On another day go for Discoveryland as Buzz, Star Tours, Orbitron and Autopia will be rides I think most DS's would love :)
Most of the Studios will be enjoyable apart from Rock n Roller coaster, possibly Crush and Armegeddon :goodvibes

Hi there

Like you I'm going to DLP for the first time in 4 weeks time with my hubby and DD's 5 & 2 and wanting to make the most of our time there.

I got a hold of the Brits Guide to DLP and along with the advice in Trip reports on here have managed to hash together the "must sees" and the "see if we can's".

I'm starting to devise a little itinerary for our trip making sure I know which rides to see and the best times for seeing them.

Sorry I can't offer any more advice but would highly recommend the Brits Guide Book (if you can get hold of it) and reading through the trip reports on here (my current favourite pastime :) )

Hope you have a magicial trip!

Just adding that we are going to be staying at the Dream Castle at the same time! i picked up the Brits Guide in our local Tesco. We found the Orlando version invaluable when we went to Florida in 2004 but now we have our DD (2 years 2 months) we thought we would start a bit closer to home and go to DLRP - I have been before although not since the Studios were built. I would echo the suggestion to head for Fantasyland as you will find a lot there that fits the bill for younger children and the less adventurous. I would also suggest taking the Walt Disney Railroad around the park early on in your trip, it's a good way to orientate yourself in the park and also quite fun as well!

Mel
x

Thanks for these great tips. Its a shame your DD is only 2+ as our DS is 5 and he could use the company.

Don't worry about your son needing company. Every time we have been to DLP, our kids have made friends within minutes. All language barriers seem to meen nothing to kids and they chatter away to each other oblivious!!!

I would agree that taking the railroad is a good way to familiarise yourself with surroundings. The first day should really centre around Fantasyland. Everything in there is suitable for small kids and perhaps the only spooky thing is Snow White when the witch appears. When you have exhausted Fantasyland, move on to Discoveryland where Buzz, Orbitron and Autopia will be popular. If you can take in The Lion KIng show here as well, then thats a good way to relax.

In Frontierland, you should definitely time the Tarzan Show as kids and adults alike love it. There is also a great playground near the theatre here called Pocahontas Indian Village. Great for the kids!! My son really enjoyed looking around the Fort and taking the riverboat ride also. He is just 5 and went on Phantom Manor but a little freaked:scared1:

In Adventureland, there is another playground, and you can explore Skull Rock. There is also the treehouse. I would definitely check out Pirates of The Carribean, but you should test it yourself to see if you think he could handle the waterfalls.

When doing the itinerary, don't forget to factor in the Parade at 4pm, the Candelabration ceremony in front of the castle, and try to check out teh short Alphabet You Are parade on Main Street some morning. We watched teh parade 3 times in 6 days and it was always a hit.

Set aside at least one half day at the Studios. Animagique is a great show for smallies...on every half hour or so. The Flying Carpets is a must and Cars Race Rally is also suitable. Don't know if your son would cope with the Tram Tour, but thats worth consideration. We also caught the Parade here at 2pm, and very entertaining. Also, check your park guide for the Lilo and Stich Catch The Wave Party thats on from time to time.

Basically, Fantasyland is the bees knees for those of that age. You will probably find that you gravitate back here every day. The trick is to try and do it either first thing or last thing, as midday queues are crazy. Go off and do lunch, parades, shows and playgrounds in the;) middle of the day to avoid this...and most of all HAVE FUN!!!!!

I can't really add anything to the great advice already given here, I would agree with maybe riding Pirates first. We first went in 1993 when my son was three and a half, he LOVED Peter Pan, Captain Hook and anything pirates so we thought we were safe with this ride! Big mistake in not doing any research beforehand, he hated the waterfalls and only went on a handful of rides for the rest of the week incase they had any hidden surprises!

Have a fabulous time :cool1:

When doing the itinerary, don't forget to factor in the Parade at 4pm, the Candelabration ceremony in front of the castle, and try to check out teh short Alphabet You Are parade on Main Street some morning. We watched teh parade 3 times in 6 days and it was always a hit.

We also caught the Parade here at 2pm, and very entertaining. Also, check your park guide for the Lilo and Stich Catch The Wave Party thats on from time to time.
/QUOTE]

Pick up a park programme as soon as you enter the park as the times of the parades are now different.
We returned this week and the Disneyland park parade (Once upon a Dream) was at 7.15ish, the Alphabet parade and Character Express now only in afternoon and Studio parade at 5.00

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter