Advice Not Taken

"Get a state job".
If has taken that advice when I got out of College at age 22, I would have retired at age 30, be bringing in a pension equal to what I am earning today, and have health insurance for life.

What state do you live in that you only have to work 8 years and get a full pension? I want to move there!!!!

What state do you live in that you only have to work 8 years and get a full pension? I want to move there!!!!
Sorry...WORKED 30 years for a full pension.
You get 2% of your final years pay as a pension working for the state of California, to a cap of 60% (30 years). Emergency service workers get 3% to a cap of 90% (30 years)
My wife works with a guy that worked for the State Legislature for 10 years, when his department was eliminated. Because he was over age 50, he gets 20% of his base pay as a pension (on top of what he is earning in his new job) plus healthcare for life.

Lucky him. Not the case for the Superior Courts.
Well, I deal with the Superior Courts on a daily basis and you have more holidays than other state workers. Can't speak to the pay and benefits.

Well, I deal with the Superior Courts on a daily basis and you have more holidays than other state workers. Can't speak to the pay and benefits.
Ya, we have a lot of holiday - 13 in total. And the other benefits are great too. Unfortunately health insurance in retirement is not one of them, any more. I understand it used to be 2 "tiers" ago.

Looks like we get Lincolns Birthday & Columbus Day off that aren't state holidays.

Ya, we have a lot of holiday - 13 in total. And the other benefits are great too. Unfortunately health insurance in retirement is not one of them, any more. I understand it used to be 2 "tiers" ago.

Looks like we get Lincolns Birthday & Columbus Day off that aren't state holidays.
I know it just drives my bosses nuts when they ask me to check a case and I have to tell them it will have to wait until tomorrow because the courts are closed for a holiday. And the bosses always say "what holiday?"

I know it just drives my bosses nuts when they ask me to check a case and I have to tell them it will have to wait until tomorrow because the courts are closed for a holiday. And the bosses always say "what holiday?"
The one that got me when I first started was Caesar Chavez Day.

Thank you tax payers of California for giving me so many paid holidays but can we put a couple in April, June & August? :laughing:

The one that got me when I first started was Caesar Chavez Day.

Thank you tax payers of California for giving me so many paid holidays but can we put a couple in April, June & August? :laughing:

We have had an influx of people at my work from other states. More than one has asked who Caesar Chavez is/was.

Wait, they took away the lifetime insurance from Superior Court employees? Wouldn't you get it from CalPERS? I mean, you still have to pay the premium.

Wait, they took away the lifetime insurance from Superior Court employees? Wouldn't you get it from CalPERS? I mean, you still have to pay the premium.
As far as I know insurance is NOT included as a benefit in retirement. Unless you happen to be in tier 2, I think., but you are probably already retired if you are in this tier. I'm tier 4 (I only started a little over a year ago). It may be that you can buy into a plan through CalPERS but the court isn't paying any of the premium.

As far as I know insurance is NOT included as a benefit in retirement. Unless you happen to be in tier 2, I think., but you are probably already retired if you are in this tier. I'm tier 4 (I only started a little over a year ago). It may be that you can buy into a plan through CalPERS but the court isn't paying any of the premium.

Look through the CalPERS website regarding benefits available for Tier 4 employees in state employment. I didn't realize they had Tier 4 already!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter