Advice on 2 Night "After Disney" Mini-Vacation

Grnl706

Mouseketeer
Hi All! I'm not sure if this is the right forum, so I apologize if I got it wrong. I'm an avid planner and I like having my trips at least mostly lined up well in advance. My husband and I are going with family down to Universal and Disney next June and would like to add a 2 night stay somewhere to relax and unwind (just the two of us) before we head home! I'm to the point that I'm hitting the same web pages I've seen before in my research so I wanted to reach out for some advice.

Here is our current itinerary:
June 10 - Fly BWI to MCO; Check in to Aventura Hotel
June 11 - Universal Studios/Island of Adventure
June 12 - Universal Studios/Island of Adventure
June 13 - Volcano Bay
June 14 - Check out from Aventura; Check in to Boardwalk (Have request in with David's, fingers crossed!); Free day
June 15 - Magic Kingdom
June 16 - Epcot
June 17 - Hollywood Studios
June 18 - Animal Kingdom
June 19 - Free day (Free day can go anywhere within our Disney time, we're flexible)
June 20 - Check Out and fly home

What we would like to do is move somewhere different on June 20 instead of checking out. I've researched and narrowed down to 3 potential options but I'm open to ANY suggestions! Our goal for the extra two nights is ultimately to relax. We will be hot, tired and warn out by our family. This is a 'splurge' vacation for us so we want to keep that resort feel going. If we are doing a rental car, we would pick it up Friday and be ready to go Saturday morning. We would pick up from Disney and drop off at the airport. I've been looking at rates this year and it actually seems like picking up and dropping off at MCO is cheaper so I will keep that in mind.

Here's the options I have found so far;

1. Inn on the Beach at Pass-A-Grille
2. Disney's Vero Beach Resort (Rent points)
3. Move to a Standard or Savannah view at Animal Kingdom and not do any parks

I'm having a hard time deciding what is the best way for us to add to our vacation.

Pass-A-Grille seems a little far, I've been reading about traffic that way. I'm interested in the Gulf waters but worried about Red Tide and June Grass? Still not understanding fully what they even are. Inn on the Beach looks very nice, reasonably priced and includes so many amenities! We could fly out of Tampa but we may still need to fly out of Orlando so I'm worried about traffic driving back for our flight.

Vero Beach is more per night and we would have to rent beach equipment on top of that. The plus side is we get to continue with Disney and the resort looks beautiful and relaxing. We've been to a couple of beaches further north on the Atlantic and enjoyed ourselves. The waves don't really bother us. The beach isn't as 'nice' as the Gulf but still beautiful. Are there a lot of jelly fish and seaweed?

For Animal Kingdom, it's different and a bucket list thing for us. We opted for Boardwalk this time but would've loved to try Animal Kingdom if we weren't doing all of the parks. This is wayyy more per night especially Savannah view but we won't need a rental car so that cost can go into it. We won't get to see the beach, which my husband loves (I'm not super in love with the beach but I enjoy it).

Worst case scenario is we nix the extra two nights and still go home on the 20th but I'd like to at least look into everything I can before going that route. Any advice would be helpful!

Hi All! I'm not sure if this is the right forum, so I apologize if I got it wrong. I'm an avid planner and I like having my trips at least mostly lined up well in advance. My husband and I are going with family down to Universal and Disney next June and would like to add a 2 night stay somewhere to relax and unwind (just the two of us) before we head home! I'm to the point that I'm hitting the same web pages I've seen before in my research so I wanted to reach out for some advice.

Here is our current itinerary:
June 10 - Fly BWI to MCO; Check in to Aventura Hotel
June 11 - Universal Studios/Island of Adventure
June 12 - Universal Studios/Island of Adventure
June 13 - Volcano Bay
June 14 - Check out from Aventura; Check in to Boardwalk (Have request in with David's, fingers crossed!); Free day
June 15 - Magic Kingdom
June 16 - Epcot
June 17 - Hollywood Studios
June 18 - Animal Kingdom
June 19 - Free day (Free day can go anywhere within our Disney time, we're flexible)
June 20 - Check Out and fly home

What we would like to do is move somewhere different on June 20 instead of checking out. I've researched and narrowed down to 3 potential options but I'm open to ANY suggestions! Our goal for the extra two nights is ultimately to relax. We will be hot, tired and warn out by our family. This is a 'splurge' vacation for us so we want to keep that resort feel going. If we are doing a rental car, we would pick it up Friday and be ready to go Saturday morning. We would pick up from Disney and drop off at the airport. I've been looking at rates this year and it actually seems like picking up and dropping off at MCO is cheaper so I will keep that in mind.

Here's the options I have found so far;

1. Inn on the Beach at Pass-A-Grille
2. Disney's Vero Beach Resort (Rent points)
3. Move to a Standard or Savannah view at Animal Kingdom and not do any parks

I'm having a hard time deciding what is the best way for us to add to our vacation.

Pass-A-Grille seems a little far, I've been reading about traffic that way. I'm interested in the Gulf waters but worried about Red Tide and June Grass? Still not understanding fully what they even are. Inn on the Beach looks very nice, reasonably priced and includes so many amenities! We could fly out of Tampa but we may still need to fly out of Orlando so I'm worried about traffic driving back for our flight.

Vero Beach is more per night and we would have to rent beach equipment on top of that. The plus side is we get to continue with Disney and the resort looks beautiful and relaxing. We've been to a couple of beaches further north on the Atlantic and enjoyed ourselves. The waves don't really bother us. The beach isn't as 'nice' as the Gulf but still beautiful. Are there a lot of jelly fish and seaweed?

For Animal Kingdom, it's different and a bucket list thing for us. We opted for Boardwalk this time but would've loved to try Animal Kingdom if we weren't doing all of the parks. This is wayyy more per night especially Savannah view but we won't need a rental car so that cost can go into it. We won't get to see the beach, which my husband loves (I'm not super in love with the beach but I enjoy it).

Worst case scenario is we nix the extra two nights and still go home on the 20th but I'd like to at least look into everything I can before going that route. Any advice would be helpful!

Sounds like you are going to have a great, but very busy, vacation, so having the two days to just relax at the end sounds like a fantastic luxury!

On that note, if it were me, and budget was not a major constraint, I would choose Animal Kingdom Lodge. It really does feel like you are in another part of the world and there is just so much to see and do onsite, not to mention plenty of places to eat. You could easily pass two days there. If you did feel like getting out one night, you could always catch a bus to Disney Springs for a bit. If you do want to save a bit by not booking the savannas view, there are savannas viewing spots all around the resort. You can also walk over to the Kidani Village side and see the savannas over there.

I would just stay where you are and relax and enjoy the resort. Less driving and plenty to do where you are.

If you want a change of venue, there are other luxury hotels nearby, like the Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton and Waldorf Astoria.

Here is an Idea Hire a rental car ..... then drive to Hontoon Landing at Deland about 30 miles north of Disney.

Why ... well there is a very good motel with swim pool to stay in
AND ....you can do the Blue Heron River tours from there.
Also Blue Springs State Park is nearby.

Blue Heron River Tours at Hontoon Landing 2317 River Ridge Rd. Deland Fl 32720

Phone 386 873 4843 www.blueheronrivertours.com

Many good eateries are nearby

AND you are in striking distance of MCO airport

Chill OUT & Relax before going home

Pass-A-Grille seems a little far, I've been reading about traffic that way.

Disney's BoardWalk Resort to Disney's Vero Beach Resort
Based on leaving at 9am
Total Travel Time: 2 hours 22 minutes
Total Distance: 109 miles (175 km)
Anticipated Traffic: Moderate
Note: Toll on Route
Link to this Map: https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=87ad....208926~-81.432461&lvl=9&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027

Disney's BoardWalk Resort to Inn on the Beach at Pass-A-Grille
Based on leaving at 9am
Total Travel Time: 2 hours 8 minutes
Total Distance: 100 miles (160 km)
Anticipated Traffic: Moderate
Note: Toll on Route
Link to This Map: https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=91c4....115232~-82.443559&lvl=9&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027

All in all, both options are about the same travel time and distance. Although, if you're planning on picking up a car at the Orlando International Airport, that would knock off a few miles when going to Disney's Vero Beach Resort.

-----

I can't help much with your decision, as I haven't stayed at either of the above resorts.

Thank you all so much for the suggestions! There are SO MANY options it is not even funny. I'm still finding more possibilities. We still have some time before I feel like we have to decide so I'm going to keep looking!

AKL. It's a bucket list thing for you, and it seems like the easiest, and therefore most relaxing, option.

If AKL Savanna view is in the budget I’d pick that. Nothing like having morning coffee and bedtime wine on the balcony there! And with Mara, Boma, Jiko and (at Kidani) Sana’a right there you’ll have plenty of variety in food choices, not to mention being able to relax at the pools at both Jambo House and Kidani.

Hmm, I need to think about that for DH and me!

If AKL Savanna view is in the budget I’d pick that. Nothing like having morning coffee and bedtime wine on the balcony there! And with Mara, Boma, Jiko and (at Kidani) Sana’a right there you’ll have plenty of variety in food choices, not to mention being able to relax at the pools at both Jambo House and Kidani.

Hmm, I need to think about that for DH and me!
Yes!! I think I almost have to wait until I see how my current DVC rental request goes to determine budget. That is where I was stuck on committing to AKL. If we can get a standard view at BWV I think we can splurge that super extra amount. Our second choice with our rental request is a preferred view. I'm also looking at Saratoga Springs. We really were bummed we couldn't fit Disney Springs in and I love the idea of a spa. We wouldn't be doing the parks so the distance away wouldn't bother is. I'm just now reading about split stays and they seem to be a really good idea!

Yes!! I think I almost have to wait until I see how my current DVC rental request goes to determine budget. That is where I was stuck on committing to AKL. If we can get a standard view at BWV I think we can splurge that super extra amount. Our second choice with our rental request is a preferred view. I'm also looking at Saratoga Springs. We really were bummed we couldn't fit Disney Springs in and I love the idea of a spa. We wouldn't be doing the parks so the distance away wouldn't bother is. I'm just now reading about split stays and they seem to be a really good idea!

SSR has lovely pools too, and of course all the restaurants, bars, shopping and free entertainment at Disney Springs is just a short walk or boat ride away.

Does David’s have a BWV owner lined up for you, or are you on a waitlist for an owner there so you can book in the 11 to 7 month window? June historically hasn’t been hard to book at 7 months, but no one knows for sure what Galaxy’s Edge will do to demand in 2020. Hopefully your reservation there will come soon!

SSR has lovely pools too, and of course all the restaurants, bars, shopping and free entertainment at Disney Springs is just a short walk or boat ride away.

Does David’s have a BWV owner lined up for you, or are you on a waitlist for an owner there so you can book in the 11 to 7 month window? June historically hasn’t been hard to book at 7 months, but no one knows for sure what Galaxy’s Edge will do to demand in 2020. Hopefully your reservation there will come soon!
To be honest with you I am not 100% sure how any of this works LOL! So I put my request in last week and they told me July 14th is when I would get notified about how it went. Is that something I should be asking? If they have an owner lined up I mean.

To be honest with you I am not 100% sure how any of this works LOL! So I put my request in last week and they told me July 14th is when I would get notified about how it went. Is that something I should be asking? If they have an owner lined up I mean.

Nope, sorry to confuse you, my mental calendar was turned around :crazy:. July 14 is the earliest a BWV owner could book your desired stay (which starts June 14, 2020), so until then there’s nothing for you to do!

In order to book for you, David’s will have to have a BWV owner who wants to rent out their points and has enough points available in the correct use year to “pay” for your reservation, plus of course DVC has to have a room available for those dates. Room availability in June isn’t usually a problem but sometimes there isn’t a willing BWV owner at 11 months and the potential renter (you) is waiting for one to sign up with David’s - or for the 7-month window to open (November 14 for you), at which time any DVC owner could book at BWV.

Now we're getting back to "Disney World Resorts" and not "Orlando Hotels" 🙃, but this is what I would do:

June 14 - Check out from Aventura; Check in to ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE*; Free day
June 15 - Magic Kingdom
June 16 - Epcot
June 17 - FREE DAY
June 18 - Hollywood Studios
June 19 - Animal Kingdom
June 20 - Free day (Free day can go anywhere within our Disney time, we're flexible)
June 21 - Check Out and fly home

* Book a standard view, but make sure David's asks the owner to pass along a request for a "Partial Savanna View". I had a partial view and quite frankly, I don't know how much more a view I could get. The animals were RIGHT THERE. Giraffes, zebras, the b-list animals, all were there in front of my room.

You hinted at booking Boardwalk for better access to the parks, and yes, for Epcot and HS, you can't beat it. But AKL is not bad. People give its location a bad rap, but it's fine. And if you're going to all four parks, it would be nice to have a break day in the middle. Then, I think you only need one extra rest day at the end. So, instead of schlepping to yet another resort, and packing and repacking, you just stay where you are. That's a huge "relaxation benefit", and so maybe you can use the extra fund towards the AKL stay.

Just another plan to consider!

Last July we stayed in Dunedin, FL just north of Tampa/Clearwater a few days before heading to WDW (where I have an AP). We LOVED it. There's a long pedestrian/bike path winding through town. (We opted to walk, you could still drive). We walked to dinner, we walked to the minor league baseball park & took in a game, etc. We drove to Clearwater to eat near the boats & eat alligator. We went to the state park for beach time & packed a lunch. We felt this part of our trip was visiting 'old Florida.'. It was everything Disney isn't & we felt we could spend an entire vacay here & NOT visit Orlando, which only slightly resembles Florida.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!