Advice on DLP in march please?

slinky101

DIS Veteran
Hi, just got a good deal on a 4 day/3 night trip over weekend of march 10th staying at newport bay, really fancy the newport bay as it looks like Yacht and beach in WDW.
My question is, what size crowds can we expect early march? also weather, I know thats not really predictable :confused3 but anyone been that time of year.
Is the newport bay as nice as it looks, New York Hotel wasn't too much more (couldn't stretch to DLH unfortunately) would you recommend going the extra for that. we are two adults :earsgirl: :earsboy: with DD,s 9 princess: & princess: 7.
Thanks all in advance

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Claire
given the proximity to the park and the fact that breakfast appears less crowded I'd go for Hotel New York if you can stretch to it.

Either way both are very good hotels.

Reid

We went in March 2004 and it was bitterly, bitterly cold with a little snow. :cold:
We flew and the worst bit for us was waiting for the Shuttle bus from the airport, there was I should add, some sort of transport dispute on at the time, but we did have to wait about 2 hours OUTSIDE, so we didn't lose our place in the queue - hence we went Eurostar last October.
Having said that we are also planning to visit next March, at the same time as you (mine and son's birthday celebrations) and we've also decided on the NPB, Admiral's floor. In actual fact because it's my 40th I had decided we'd stay at the DLH, but the cost is way to high for the amount of time we spend in the hotel, it is only the proximity to the parks in it's favour, which was a major consideration given the time of year. I had looked at the NY but found out that you can't have the Good Morning Fantasyland breakfast when staying there, and my boys 11 and 6 prefer the look of the NPB, as Cyrano says the NPB is reknowned for being extremely busy at breakfast time but I've decided to book a couple of character breakfasts along with GMF one and just have breakfast at the hotel on our last morning, which I believe you can have in your room on the Admiral's floor.
The crowds weren't to bad when we were there, longest we queued was for BTM and about 20 mins.
Do pack lots of woolies, especially gloves, I ended up buying several pairs whilst we were there, to change out of ones that got damp and take plenty of lip salve as well.
We're hoping to arrive on Sat 11th for 5 nights, to catch the last day of the kids carnival ( found the best price with Thomson BTW ) so we might bump into you. :banana: :banana: :banana:

thanks Jill, the fact that you live in abergavenny means we might bump into each other before then :rotfl: :rotfl:
anyway, thanks for the reply, my other option had been january, based on price but thought march weather would be much better but, by the sound of your reply its not as much better as I had hoped!
I read earlier that you could not have the GMF breakfast at hotel NY so that has pet me right off that, i really loved being in the park early last time. Didn't know about the NPB being notoriously busy at breakfast, I,m new to all this DLP planning! will bear it in mind, hotel looks lovely though. My prices were with BMI from cardiff and disney hotel from their website.

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Hi Claire,
We went in March 2003, from the 16th to the 20th and it was beautiful weather [no jackets!!] :sunny: . Went again this year from 28th Feb - 3rd March and were freezing the entire time :cold: .

Good news is - both times the queues were non existent so Hopefully you can expect the same, next to no crowds! :)

We were there during the first days of March. It got rather cold and snowed quite a bit. It was still a great time. Just about everything was still open and running in the snow. Fantillusion did not run when it was snowing at night (same thing that happens when it rains), and the Moteurs Stunt Show was not as fun in the snow, but everything else was great. The crowds were fine during the week. I think the longest queue was Peter Pan at 20 minutes? Maybe even 15? On Saturday, it was much more crowded.

thanks bonhoga and minnieyc, I know the weather is a gamble but it has to be better than january! good news about the queues, that will make up for the cold!
can anyone tell me what happens in the childrens carnival season, it isn't very clear from the brochure? :confused3

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Carnaval is fun, but I thought of it more as an advantage to being there rather than a specific reason to go there during that time. It's basically a few small extra parades and shows with Disney characters. They are short, but the parades are really good, IMO. It's all within the areas of Main Street right next to the park entrance. There are extra decorations throughout Main Street as well.

Oh yeah, the Carnaval music (the original song played on that webpage above) really gets stuck in your head. I still sing it all the time, and I've been home from my trip for 4.5 months! :teeth:

thanks jill and minnieYC, carnival looks great, wasn,t picking that season particularly, looking at march because of the price, worked out about the same as january, I read lots about magic unlimited in january but carnival wasn't clear, thanks for the link.

Jill, I,m used to rain and cold in merthyr so we wont need much altitude training! :rotfl: :cold: :rotfl: :cold:

Looks like we might very well bump into you Slinky, after much debate the NPB came out on tops - I would have loved to stay at the DLH, but when it came down to it, it was 3 nights there or 5 at the Newport Bay Club, with extra spending money - arriving on the 11th March. Me, hubby our two sons and it'll be the first time for my sister, her hubby and my beautiful little 3 year old niece - I can't wait to take her around the shops. :banana: :Pinkbounc :banana:

great news jill, we still haven't booked , just dithering really! pay day next week so will have to make a decision by then! :dog2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter