Advice please! Feeling out of the loop

SadieDawn90

Real-life Disney Princess (In my head)
My family and I were last “home” in December of 2015. We’ll be returning this December and I couldn’t be more excited.

I used to follow all the forums and I was constantly in the know about what was going on at Disney, but I haven’t been doing that lately and I feel like there have been lots of changes since my last trip. I’m overwhelmed!

What is new/interesting/exciting/different in the past 4 years? I have a DD(7) and DD(3) if that is relevant information. Can’t wait to take my youngest on her first trip

The biggest changes over the past handful of years are the Fantasyland expansion in Magic Kingdom, the Avatar land in Animal Kingdom, and more recently the Toy Story Land in Hollywood studios. By the time you arrive in December, the Star Wars Land will also be open in Hollywood Studios. There is also the newish Frozen Ever After in Epcot, which is just the Malestrom ride from Norway, but with a Frozen theme. Each expansion has brought a few new rides and new scenery to see. Because those are the newest rides, they are also the hardest to get FP+ for and have the longest wait times in the standby lines. Given the age of your girls, I would say the Seven Dwarves Mine Train and the Toy Story rides might appeal the most. The Flight of Passage rides at Animal Kingdom is cool, but I don't know how much your daughters would like it.

In general there's a lot of construction going on at Disney World, as there are several things being added and changed.

I am going to follow along also. I have not been to Disney since 2008 and looking to book a trip for this December also. Wow so much has changed.

A great place to start would be reading the sticky "FastPass+ Frequently Asked Questions" thread at the top of this forum. It will give you a good idea of some of the planning to be done and will inevitably introduce you to new attractions in the FP+ recommendations.

Being someone who likes to plan AND enjoys character meals, I suggest perusing restaurant options. Your window for making ADRs will open sometime in June and, while there can be plenty of ADRs available last minute, there are some that are elusive once you pass the 180 day out mark.

ETA Be our Guest dinner format has changed and there is a new Snow White themed character meal called Storybook Dining.

Last edited:
Oh my so much has changed since 2008. They now use the magic band for fastpasses, as a room key, getting on the magic express, photopass, and charging things on it with a credit card added.
You now use My Disney Experience to make fastpasses and dining reservations. You can use MDE to change fastpasses or dining reservations. You now get to pick 3 fastpasses in advance then after you use those in the park you can pick one at time as many as you can get but only one at a time.
You can now use My Disney Experience to mobile order ahead of time at quick service restaurants.
So be sure you have an extra portable battery charger for your phone because phone batteries run down pretty quick using MDE.
The MDE app doesn't always work well for some. I have found that going on the website to MDE works better for me then using the app.
Oh I read that wrong it was 2015 when you were last there Ops. I believe they started using the magic band in 2013.

Last edited:
Oh my so much has changed since 2008. They now use the magic band for fastpasses, as a room key, getting on the magic express, photopass, and charging things on it with a credit card added.
You now use My Disney Experience to make fastpasses and dining reservations. You can use MDE to change fastpasses or dining reservations. You now get to pick 3 fastpasses in advance then after you use those in the park you can pick one at time as many as you can get but only one at a time.
You can now use My Disney Experience to mobile order ahead of time at quick service restaurants.
So make sure you have an extra portable battery charger for your phone because phone batteries run down pretty quick using MDE.
The MDE app doesn't always work well for some. I have found that going on the website to MDE works better for me then using the app.
Oh I read that wrong it was 2015 when you were last there Ops. I believe they started using the magic band in 2013.

There are two different posters who haven't been in awhile. The OP hasn't been since 2015. Another poster hasn't been since 2008.

I think the best way to get back into it is start reading the threads again. I think by scrolling thru the titles you can quickly find some things you'd like to read about, you'll quickly be back into it...checking out the resorts, restaurants, & transportation boards in addition to this one.

Other changes, by December the skyliner will be open connecting pop/art of animation to CBR and epcot/hs. Illuminations will be gone and a new temporary show will be in its place. There is a new fireworks show at Magic Kingdom. The new show uses a LOT of projections on the castle, so getting a good spot is more important than it used to be if you want to experience the whole thing, thus people opt for the dessert party. As far as Christmas stuff osborne lights are gone. They now have short projection shows on the tower of terror and a projection/techniques show on the Chinese Theater. The TOT one is pretty easy to see but the one on the Chinese Theater takes a little more time to find a spot.

In general, the biggest change is a LOT more paid events. You can pay extra to stay late at MK, DHS and AK right now. You can also pay for a morning thing where only a couple rides are open at both DHS and MK. There are dessert parties for everything these days.

I have been planning my first trip to Disney since 2000 :) I have gone through very similar feelings at the beginning of this process!!! It is overwhelming!!!

Ultimately I think of it as "eating an elephant" - how do you do it? One bite at a time!!!

Break it down. Make lists - then make more lists :) I know not everyone is a natural list maker but it's the best advice I can give. These boards are excellent sources of information but the challenge I've found is that information is plentiful - all over the internet - but it is also scattered. If you are looking at Pinterest, for example, you have to be careful that you are not reading and taking notes from a blog post that was made years ago.

The Disney website is a great source of info. I also have really found benefit to Touring Plans site. There are so many other sites and many are great I am sure.

Once you have a list of things you know you need to refresh your understanding of you can choose to dive into each one at a time.

Here is the list I used - which is extensive and not all may apply to others. Feel free to copy/paste pick and choose!

Topics to Research
Using a Disney Travel Agent - Pros, Cons, Options, How to find a good one
Research Trip Travel Insurance and Airline Travel Insurance - understand what it means
Setup account and learn MDE - both web and mobile app
Best Time To Visit
Best Resort to Stay At - check reviews on Trip Advisor, DIS, etc.
Room Size, Views, Location vs. lobby, elevators and restaurants
Resort Layout
Resort Amenities, Extra Activities
Discount Options
Understand Disney's daily room check policy
Which Days to Visit Which Parks Based On
Crowd Calendars
Published or estimated park hours schedule
Decide best tickets to purchase (basic, park hopper, etc.)
Research any hard ticket events available during trip dates and decide whether or not to purchase
Research Memory Maker and decide whether or not to purchase
Research things to be aware of in regards to any festivals, marathons or other events that may be going on during the trip
Understand various Dining Plan options
Understanding When/How to Make ADRs
How to Obtain Still Wanted ADRs and/or Last Minute ADRs
Understand ADR cancellation policy
Look into Open Table and what places it can be used and the cancellation advantage
Compile more detailed info on restaurants of interest
List for/by each location - All 4 parks, water parks, Boardwalk, DSRA, resort and other resorts
Review menu options to confirm it will work for all in party including kids menus
Review menu prices to estimate value on DDP or for budget if OOP
Read restaurant reviews from multiple sources - DIS, Trip Advisor, DFB, You Tube Videos, etc. Look for tips, common patterns of complaint, comments on noise levels, etc.
Understand character meal options
Decide 1st choice of restaurants for each meal of trip
Decide 2nd choice of restaurants for each meal of trip
Determine best use of snack credits in each location (parks, resort, etc.)
Learn about any loyalty programs available - which places they are good at and decide whether or not to sign up
Use published menu prices to estimate cost of each table service meal and then calculate gratuity budget that will be needed for the trip
Look into various free dining reservation finder services
Understand mobile ordering options and practice on MDE account ahead of time
Once released, review F&W booth menus (or other festival) and plan which to visit
Understand Magic Bands - options to customize, setting up pin, etc.
Use WDW Prep Navigator to review transportation options for each journey made during trip (resort to parks, resort to other resorts, etc.)
Resarch Uber/Lyft/Minnie Van/Taxi options and download any apps ahead of time to start getting discount offers
Look for promo codes or other discount offers for these services
Research Disney transportation options, tips and tricks, alternative routes, etc.
Understand the monorail loops
Understand Magic Express - How it works, bag options, etc.
Park Layout - Locate and review park maps, parks in relation to each other, monorail loops, etc.
Understand park locations vs. resorts, DSRA, etc.
Print park maps and supplement with additional information including:
- Least Crowded Restrooms
- Park Entrance Options including less used "secret" options
- FP Kiosk Locations (these can move but many spots typically always have them)
- Quiet Places to Rest, Indoors, Covered or Shaded Seating, Etc.
- Penny Machine Locations
- Use color coding or legend to note indoor rides vs those that will close in bad weather
- PhotoPass Photographer Locations
- Best Parade/Fireworks Viewing Spots
- Phone Charging Spots
Locate and print resort layout map
Locate and print DSRA map - marking places to visit vs. taxi pick up/drop off location
Obtain and review water park map
Research touring plan options/services
Create touring plans for each park day, fitting in meals and breaks, allowing for ample travel time
Research ideal and alternate viewing spots for any parades or fireworks planned
Create overall trip itinerary from arriving at airport to arrival back home, including rest days, extra hard ticket events, etc.
Understand the FP system
Learn which rides need FP more than others
Review various methods recommended for getting Fast Passes booked when window opens
Review Fast Pass Refresh method for use in park
Look into non FP strategies for certain rides, i.e. PPO breakfasts, etc.
Determine typical FP Kiosk locations
Review rides and shows at each park for the following:
-Length
-A/C - Yes or No
-Scare Factors for little ones
-Fast Pass - Yes or No
-Magic Hours - Yes or No
-Height Restrictions
-Flash Photos - Yes or No
-Weather Procedures
-Ride Photo - Yes or No
-Best Times to Ride
-Tips or tricks about what to watch for in queue, etc.
Watch You Tube videos of rides (potentially with children) if concerned about fright factor
Research misc. daily things at each park (street performers, splash pads, etc.)
Look for info on best places to rest at each park
Understand various park touring strategies, rope drop, during parades/fireworks, extra magic hours, etc.
Understand DAS program options
Best clothing to wear at Disney
Footwear and care while at Disney
What to pack for trip overall
What to pack in the in park bag
How to get through bag check at park entrance with minimal fuss
Stroller/Wheelchair rental options
Babysitting Services
Plan for the rain
Plan for the heat
Plan how to pack in park bag(s) to get through security quickly
Understand hurricane policies - both Disney and airline
Plan "training" needed to prep for all the walking at Disney
Plan for minor illness/injury, motion sickness, blisters, chafing or Disney heat rash
Plan for keeping little ones calm and entertained on air flights or car trip
Plan for keeping little ones entertained in line
Look into/download the Play Disney app
Plan for pin trading
Plan for CM compliment cards, Mousekeeping tips, etc.
Plan any extra Disney magic leading up to and following trip to make things more special
Look into grocery delivery options to resort
Research ways to purchase discounted Disney gift cards and how to use them
Maintain Budget Including:
-Airfare
-Airport Parking
-Hotel
-Tickets
-Dining Plan
-Any Extra Hard Ticket Events
-Estimated Gratuities - Including taxis, baggage carriers and table service, etc.
-OOP Food (extras not on dining plan)
-Souvenirs
-Travel Insurance
-Cost of Taxis/Uber/Lyft etc.
-Kennel Costs (for pets left at home)
-New Clothing/Footwear for the trip
-Specialty Items for Trip (ponchos, cooling towels, etc.)

I have been planning my first trip to Disney since 2000 :) I have gone through very similar feelings at the beginning of this process!!! It is overwhelming!!!

Ultimately I think of it as "eating an elephant" - how do you do it? One bite at a time!!!

Break it down. Make lists - then make more lists :) I know not everyone is a natural list maker but it's the best advice I can give. These boards are excellent sources of information but the challenge I've found is that information is plentiful - all over the internet - but it is also scattered. If you are looking at Pinterest, for example, you have to be careful that you are not reading and taking notes from a blog post that was made years ago.

The Disney website is a great source of info. I also have really found benefit to Touring Plans site. There are so many other sites and many are great I am sure.

Once you have a list of things you know you need to refresh your understanding of you can choose to dive into each one at a time.

Here is the list I used - which is extensive and not all may apply to others. Feel free to copy/paste pick and choose!

Topics to Research
Research Trip Travel Insurance and Airline Travel Insurance - understand what it means
Best Time To Visit
Resort Layout
Discount Options
Crowd Calendars
Research any hard ticket events available during trip dates and decide whether or not to purchase
Research things to be aware of in regards to any festivals, marathons or other events that may be going on during the trip
Look into Open Table and what places it can be used and the cancellation advantage
List for/by each location - All 4 parks, water parks, Boardwalk, DSRA, resort and other resorts
Review menu options to confirm it will work for all in party including kids menus
Read restaurant reviews from multiple sources - DIS, Trip Advisor, DFB, You Tube Videos, etc. Look for tips, common patterns of complaint, comments on noise levels, etc.
Learn about any loyalty programs available - which places they are good at and decide whether or not to sign up
Use published menu prices to estimate cost of each table service meal and then calculate gratuity budget that will be needed for the trip
Once released, review F&W booth menus (or other festival) and plan which to visit
Use WDW Prep Navigator to review transportation options for each journey made during trip (resort to parks, resort to other resorts, etc.)
Resarch Uber/Lyft/Minnie Van/Taxi options and download any apps ahead of time to start getting discount offers
Research Disney transportation options, tips and tricks, alternative routes, etc.
Park Layout - Locate and review park maps, parks in relation to each other, monorail loops, etc.
- Use color coding or legend to note indoor rides vs those that will close in bad weather
- Phone Charging Spots
Locate and print DSRA map - marking places to visit vs. taxi pick up/drop off location
Create touring plans for each park day, fitting in meals and breaks, allowing for ample travel time
Create overall trip itinerary from arriving at airport to arrival back home, including rest days, extra hard ticket events, etc.
Understand the FP system
Review various methods recommended for getting Fast Passes booked when window opens
-Length
-A/C - Yes or No
-Fast Pass - Yes or No
-Magic Hours - Yes or No
-Height Restrictions
-Weather Procedures
-Ride Photo - Yes or No
-Best Times to Ride
Watch You Tube videos of rides (potentially with children) if concerned about fright factor
Understand various park touring strategies, rope drop, during parades/fireworks, extra magic hours, etc.
Babysitting Services
Plan for the rain
Plan for the heat
Plan for minor illness/injury, motion sickness, blisters, chafing or Disney heat rash
Plan for pin trading
Plan any extra Disney magic leading up to and following trip to make things more special
-Airfare
-Airport Parking
-Hotel
-Tickets
-Dining Plan
-Estimated Gratuities - Including taxis, baggage carriers and table service, etc.
-Souvenirs
-Travel Insurance
Holy cow!!! If only I were a fraction that organized. LOL

There's been quite a bit but the 1st thing I thought of what Toy Story Land at HS. The rides are more geared for kids but the area is really cute and worth stopping at.

After taking a Disney break since 2015, I’m starting to plan a trip nearly 2 years out. Without a doubt, THIS is the place to be to get caught up. It’s my go-to resource. A lot has changed in the past few years!

Topics to Research
Best Time To Visit
Resort Layout
Discount Options
Crowd Calendars
- Phone Charging Spots
Understand the FP system
-Length
-A/C - Yes or No
-Fast Pass - Yes or No
-Magic Hours - Yes or No
-Height Restrictions
-Weather Procedures
-Ride Photo - Yes or No
-Best Times to Ride
Babysitting Services
Plan for the rain
Plan for the heat
Plan for pin trading
-Airfare
-Airport Parking
-Hotel
-Tickets
-Dining Plan
-Souvenirs
-Travel Insurance
Do you find all of that information here or elsewhere? It’s been five years since we’ve been.

I posted this in response to another similar question, but here are all the new things that I can remember from the last 10 years and upcoming things.

In the last 10 years:

Hollywood Studios
  • Great Movie Ride Closed, its being replaced by Mickey and Minnies Runaway railway, which will be opening Spring 2020.
  • The animation building in Hollywood Studios is now Star Wars Launch Bay, has a bunch of star wars props in it, you can meet kylo ren/chewbacca and has a star wars shop. Also has some films about making the movies I think. Im not sure if theyre going to be changing this are once Galaxies edge opens.
  • Galaxies edge is the big one opening this year.
  • A new night time show is also coming to Hollywood Studios called "wonderful world of animation"
  • EDIT: Forgot a huge thing, Toy story land!!! new area with a few new attractions and eateries, and the entrance to Toy Story midway mania has moved to be in the TS area! They also added a third track to the attraction
Epcot
  • Sadly spaceship earth is closing early 2020 for a long refurb and won't be reopening for 2 years :sad:
  • Dont think itll be open by next year, but they closed Ellens energy and are building a Guardians of the Galaxy ride, I think its supposed to open by WDW 50th.
  • They are also redoing the whole future world of epcot, not sure when that construction will be starting.
  • A Ratatouille ride is opening in France in Epcot, the same as the one in Disneyland Paris I believe, i think it will be open by December 2020 (maybe).
  • Soarin has a new film !
  • Theyre replacing illuminations soon with a new firework show.
  • Theres a new space themed restaurant coming to epcot too which sounds awesome!
  • Edit: Another epcot one i remembered! MAelstrom is no more and is now a Frozen ride, theres also an area in Norway where you can meet Anna and Elsa!

Downtown Disney/Disney Springs:

• Big thing is that its now disney springs
  • Huge new shopping area, which is really beautiful
  • bunch of new restaurants!
  • Disney quest has closed and i think its being replaced by an NBA experience or something

They have installed a gondola system that goes from some Resorts to Hollywood Studios, it opens this year I believe.

Magic Kingdom
  • Not sure if you have been before end of 2012, but they have opened New Fantasyland in magic kingdom, its a new area with a circus themed area, it has the dumbo ride, a big top tent with a shop inand you can meet goofy, donald, daisy (i think) and minnie in cute circus outfits. It has a goofy ride too! A splash area for kids too. Theres also a little mermaid area where you can meet ariel and there is a little mermaid dark ride. Beauty and the Beast area with a shop, gastons tavern, you can meet gaston, be our guest restaurant (which is amazing inside) and enchanted tales with Belle. And then theres the mine train ride, which is a rollercoaster themed around snow white.
  • Theres also the princess fairytale hall in fantasyland which I believe replaced snow whites scary adventures (i have never been when that ride was open so may be wrong) where you can meet select princesses.
  • Theres a new fireworks show called Happily Ever after that replaced wishes.
  • Theres a new Jungle Cruise themed restaurant called skippers canteen which is awesome!
  • Theyre building a tron coaster, like the one in shanghai Disneyland in Tomorrowland in Magic Kingdom, thats set to open in 2021 i believe.
Animal Kingdom
  • In Animal Kingdom there is Pandora, which is a land themed around Avatar! Theres 2 attractions, a boat ride and flight of passage which is kinda like soarin. And theres aquick service restaurant.
  • Theres a new nighttime show called Rivers of Light

Thats everything I can remember off the top of my head ::MickeyMo

Do you find all of that information here or elsewhere? It’s been five years since we’ve been.

I've used a combination of this site, Disney's website, googling and Pinterest to find info. Touring Plans site is also very helpful.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/frequently-referenced-tpas-thread-list-links.3737751/

What has worked for me is creating a couple of Google cloud spreadsheets (Excel would work too) to compile the info as I find it. I just copy/paste or retype if quick.

Other Sites I've found very helpful:

www.disneytouristblog.com
http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/
https://wdwprepschool.com

There are so many others! All have good info!

I have a master Disney spreadsheet and one just for Dining. If not otherwise noted I'm finding info from DIS and Pinterest

Master Spreadsheet Tabs include:

- Access (my login and passwords for all Disney sites - DIS, MDE, Touring Plans, etc.)
- $ Compare (a tab where I compiled info on various hotel room options, rates, dates using MDE until I narrowed in on the one we wanted)
- Fast Passes (primarily filled with general info found on this site)

https://www.disboards.com/threads/fastpass-frequently-asked-questions.3491680/

- Fast Pass Refresh Method (enough to this topic I gave it a tab of its own - also found info mostly on this site)

https://www.disboards.com/threads/f...al-tier-1-booking-anytime-fps-cl-fps.3538258/

- Fast Pass Plans (rough draft of dates and FP times we will try to get for our trip)
- Fast Pass Kiosk locations (can't remember where I found this - probably this site!)
- Misc. Disney Hacks (gathered from all over - mostly this site and Pinterest - search for Disney hacks and you'll see a ton)
- Flying (Info from DIS site on the Orlando airport - layout, where to get Magical Express, etc. Also need to find info on our connecting airport in Atlanta)
- Packing for the Trip (advice gathered from DIS board, Pinterest on what to pack - this link was VERY helpful - https://wdwprepschool.com/the-ultimate-disney-world-packing-list/
- Packing Master List (our actual packing list, columns for items, quantity, person, category, etc.)
- Footwear/Feet Care (advice gathered from DIS board, Pinterest)
- In Park Bag (gathered from DIS, Pinterest and WDW prepschool.com link shared above again)
- Magical Express
- On Site Transportation (Info from all over, this link is helpful though - https://wdwprepschool.com/wdw-prep-navigator/
- Park Day Planning (General advice from all over and a breakdown of our trip days with park hours, crowd calendar info, extra magic hours/events (This I got from Touring Plans site)
- Rain Tips
- Heat Tips
- Bag Check Tips
- MNSSHP - (Gathered info from all over, tips, tricks, strategies, what to do if it rains, etc.)
- Magic Kingdom (Compilation of ride/show info, FP recommendations, info on "secret entrances" or strategies, Quiet places to rest, best spots for parade/fireworks viewing)
- Epcot (same as MK above)
- Animal Kingdom (same again)
- Hollywood Studios (Same again)
- Typhoon Lagoon (list of general tips, tricks, advice, what to pack in water park bag, etc.)
- Disney Springs (list of shops, etc. we want to visit and their location - Marketplace vs. Town Center, etc.)
- Wilderness Lodge (Various bits of info gathered from all over on our particular resort)
- Memory Maker (Tips, tricks, etc.)

https://www.disboards.com/threads/everything-photopass-and-memory-maker.3663430/

- Travel Agent/Insurance
- DAS (the DIS site has great threads on this!)

https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...disabled-1st-trip-next-trip-wish-trip.595713/

Master Dining Spreadsheet tabs include:

- Magic Kingdom (List of all restaurants there we are interested in, location in park, times each meal served, credits for each meal, if they have Mobile Order, general notes and also a column for reviews and by this I mean just little snippets of interest to me, advice on best tables, etc.)
- Epcot, AK, HS, DSRA and Boardwalk all have similar tabs
- Also one more tab for Resort Dining, same concept
- Planning tab with breakdown of our trip dates with info on final ADRs plugged in for each meal

For looking at menus I used combo of MDE and http://allears.net/dining/menu

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter