Advice/Thoughts

ida107

Earning My Ears
We just bought a contract direct from Disney (175 pts at the Poly). We are now thinking we need to purchase more points however, we don't really want to spend a ton of money so we are thinking to add on by purchasing re-sale. Ideally we would like to purchase 125 more points. Here are some of my concerns or questions....

How easy is it to have two separate contracts? Can these two contract work together?

Is it easier to own both contracts at the same "home" resort?

Is it best that both contacts have the same use year? (currently December is our use year)

Our sales rep at DVC told us that Disney has the ability to require all re-sale owners to ONLY be allowed to stay at their "home" resort. So my fear is that if we purchase a small contract (125) pts and years down the road Disney does this then those points wont be very useful to us as we are a family of 5 and require more space ( 2 bedroom units when the kids get older).

Our sales rep also said the Poly is going up to over $225.00 a point. So if it is best to buy additional points directly from Disney I want to do it ASAP!

Thanks in advance for your help!

1. Buy where you want to stay, whether you want to add more points at the Poly or you want to add another resort
2. It is easier to manage multiple contracts if you have the same use year.
3. MamaBelle4 has answered the question about "ONLY allowed to stay at their home resort"

Good Luck !

What if Disney did away with cross contamination at 7 months.... could that be in any way possible ? (it IS their resort)

What if Disney did away with cross contamination at 7 months.... could that be in any way possible ? (it IS their resort)
No, it's not. Or, rather, the method by which this could occur is so convoluted and complex it could not possibly be worth it.

It would also have significant impacts on all buyers, regardless of source.

How easy is it to have two separate contracts? Can these two contract work together?
Any additional points you buy will be a separate contract, period. It's not difficult, but it works easiest to have them both on same UY. If they are not on the same UY, they will be on separate logins and difficult to combine points, regardless of if they are same home resort (11 months) or different (can only be combined at 7 months).

Is it easier to own both contracts at the same "home" resort?
If you want to stay elsewhere, no. If you only want to book at Poly and are okay with not having home priority elsewhere ever, sure.

Is it best that both contacts have the same use year? (currently December is our use year)

Yes. Same UY is easiest, by far, unless you are buying two contracts that will never be used together or need to be titled differently. So, if you were buying Aulani and only ever planned to use those points in Hawaii, eh, different UY and account is no big deal.

Our sales rep at DVC told us that Disney has the ability to require all re-sale owners to ONLY be allowed to stay at their "home" resort. So my fear is that if we purchase a small contract (125) pts and years down the road Disney does this then those points wont be very useful to us as we are a family of 5 and require more space ( 2 bedroom units when the kids get older).

Our sales rep also said the Poly is going up to over $225.00 a point. So if it is best to buy additional points directly from Disney I want to do it ASAP!

As previously said: Your sales rep stone cold lied to you. Disney cannot force all resale owners to only stay at their home resorts, and if they DID it would impact all the direct buyers anyway by never opening up spaces at those resorts when they potentially switch anyway. Think it through.

And yes, Poly's going up this week over $225. It actually sold out last week, and you would need to wait list for December points anyway, so you're too late to buy direct and beat the price increase.

Buying poly resale and matching UY will be difficult. So if you want poly, buy direct.

To answer your other questions, if you buy resale at another resort, the points are not combinable at 11 months.

If they have same UY, then you can combine them at 7 months.

Why do you think you need more points?

I ask bc your reasoning will change my advice as to what you should do.

I would wait, learn the system, stay at a few resorts, find out which you love and buy resale there. Using banking and borrowing you can double your points for each resort stay. Year one stay at PVB, year two stay at your new resort BCV or BWV, one MK resort, one Epcot/DHS resort. You book at 11 months at each resort.

:earsboy: Bill

To clear up what another poster said, points at the same resort and same use year can absolutely be combined at 11 months.

Also, if you do move forward with any resale contract make sure that the names on the contract is the same as your original contract.

I agree with all of the PPs, especially @disneynutz, and spend some time using the points you just bought before deciding you need more points right away. Use them at Poly but also try another resort next year or the year after, and see how you like another resort, and see how hard (or easy) it is to book another resort at 7 months.

Also, now might not be the best time to buy resale, if you don't need to right away. Because direct prices are going up, asking prices for resale contracts are a little high right now too. It might also be worth seeing if things settle after everyone gets used to the new direct prices.

PS - isn't Poly only going up to $220, not "over $220"? That is yet another reason you should report that rep for lying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter