Advise needed on west coast trip

julie-ann

Earning My Ears
I'm planning a trip to the west coast, having only been to WDW before i'm completly in the dark as to where to visit on the west coast, I have some ideas of places we want to visit but coming from the tiny UK could do with some help on time and distances scales. We'd like to do DLR, San Deigo (are there more than 1 zoo's there)? Seaworld, san fransico, vegas and some national parks, Yosemite? we are hopeing to have 3 or maybe 4 weeks and are a family of 4 with 2 boys who will be 10 and 11 at the time, all your help will be so much appreicated.

I hate to send you somewhere else....I am working to get this on our board but.....
1. go to the UK trip reports board
2. Select from the top sticky threads "Trip report index 2005 and beyond"
3. From the list click on "Kevin Stringers" trip reports.

He did this trip and wrote a series of about 20 reports complete with pictures. I think they would really help you.

thanks for the tip about the trip reports, amazing photos we really have to visit yosemite after seeing them.

julie-ann, Are you satisfied with the info you got from "Kevin's" reports? I saw you mentioned several places that you would like to visit that wasn't on his reports. Having lived in CA for 40 years prior to moving to Washington and visiting all the places you mentioned numerous times, as well as planning a return trip back down the CA coast this September, I might be able to help you out with driving distances and several suggestions for your trip (which would be quite a road trip if you decide to go all those places) - but after looking a map last night, it would be possible without backtracking to much. Send me a PM if you need some help.

Yosemite Falls, at 2450' the tallest in North America.
CRW_6827_800.jpg

Note: peak runoff is in May & June, the falls are almost dry by August most years. No matter, this park is well worth seeing for the 3000' cliffs, the 300' tall Sequoia trees and the incredible scenery!

Note: It is difficult to get rooms in the valley, especially in Summer. Hwy 140 to Mariposa (the main road) is closed due to a rockslide.

Yosemite is about 4 hours from San Francisco.

boB

I have more pictures on Yosemite in my signature link. We often go there, and will be there again this summer - six nights camping in Sequoia and three nights in a cabin in Yosemite, since we couldn't get camp sites or lodging in the valley (we didn't want to stay in the tent cabins).

Yosemite is my absolute favorite place in the world. I get tears in my eyes everytime I see it again for the first time.

if you decide to visit napa valley at all feel free to p.m. me with questions, i grew up there and still live nearby. one thing to be aware of when calculating travel times in the bay area (san francisco and the like) is we are undergoing alot of massive road repairs that will be on-going for several years-so depending on where you are going you will want to check for current road conditions (you can check on the "caltrans" website-they do current road conditions 24/7).

Just returned after 3 weeks out West on Saturday and we stayed in San Francisco (5 nts), Lake Tahoe (3 nts), Yosemite (3 nts), Barstow (3 nts stopover), Grand Canyon (3 nts) and finally Las Vegas (4 nts). Our longest drive was Yosemite to Barstow at 7 1/2 hours and 370 miles.
In 2003 we drove from SF to LA down the coast, both have been wonderful trips.

Claire ;)

Claire L said:
Just returned after 3 weeks out West on Saturday and we stayed in San Francisco (5 nts), Lake Tahoe (3 nts), Yosemite (3 nts), Barstow (3 nts stopover), Grand Canyon (3 nts) and finally Las Vegas (4 nts). Our longest drive was Yosemite to Barstow at 7 1/2 hours and 370 miles.
In 2003 we drove from SF to LA down the coast, both have been wonderful trips.

Claire ;)

I am dying to know what kept you occupied in Barstow for 3 nts....

:sunny:

ExPirateShopGirl said:
I am dying to know what kept you occupied in Barstow for 3 nts....

:sunny:

It was just a chill out stop so really only had two days there and went to the outlets and the Calico Ghost town.

Claire ;)

Hey Julie-Ann,
Being a native San Diegan I have to pipe in. Yes the zoo and Wild Animal Park are awesome. The WAP is extremely hot this time of year. 114 last Saturday. But definately worth a trip if you like animals, just go early. Sea World is great too. Skip Legoland unless your kids are into that stuff. Plus the beach. Go to the beach. The water is a perfect 72 degrees right now and it feels great.

Love Yosemite. It is magnificent and should not be missed. A trip out to the Grand Canyon is worth it as well.

julie-ann said:
. . . We'd like to do DLR, San Deigo (are there more than 1 zoo's there)? Seaworld, san fransico, vegas and some national parks, Yosemite? . . .

Las Vegas is worth a visit, but is extremely hot during the summer.

Woody

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!