AED questions

DVCisME

DIS Veteran
My children were recently diagnosed with Long QT Styndrome and require use to carry portable AEDs.

We are flying, going on a Disney Cruise, then staying to enjoy WDW for a few days.

Do we need any kind of documentation? Anything I need to be aware of going through security? Do we need to notify guest services? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The TSA has some information for screening of medical devices on their website. In general, items go thru the X Ray machine. https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-procedures
You can also TSA qiestions. There are contact points for resources here: https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/2...sabilities-medical-devices-medical-conditions

I would contact the company that makes your devices to see what information they have regarding travel and whether the devices can go thru the metal detector or not.
Your airline should have AEDs actually on the plane (there was a 2001 rule that required them to be on aircraft within 2 years of that date). I would notify your specific airline that you are traveling with them and will be carrying them on. Medical devices fo not count toward your baggage/carry on allowance.

Regarding WDW resorts or the cruise, I can’t think of anything to check or inform.
You would go thru security for the cruise similar to air travel.

For WDW parks, you will go thru security, but they are mostly looking for weapons, glass bottles and alcohol. You will need to remove anthing underneath a stroller for screening. You might need to explain what it/they are - just general, medical devices. Don’t need to get into detail.

If you have stroller/strollers, go to Guest Relations to get a stroller as wheelchair tag. That will allow you to bring the stroller(s) in lines/attractions where strollers are not allowed. Wheelchairs do not require any tag or permission to use in lines.

You can also ask about Disability Access Service (DAS) at Guest Relations. This is basic info from Disney about DAS and there is a thread about DAS stuck near the top of this board.
https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/me.../wdw-disability-access-service_2015-04-30.pdf

Hope you have a great trip. Please come back after and let us know how everything went.

For the cruise, I recommend contacting DCL Special Services:
Phone: (407) 566-3602 Fax: (407) 566-3760 TTY: (407) 566-7455
Email: SpecialServices@disneycruise.com

In addition to security, you can ask about the kids’ club and how their equipment will be handled there. I don’t know if there may be any need for documentation at various ports, if you plan to debark for port stops.

Enjoy your vacation!

Shouldn’t be s problem and I would check the things SueM listed above. Also most likely the case would need to be opened when going into Disney parks. They won’t need to do anything other than a quick check inside the case to make sure it doesn’t contain forbidden items (it won’t ).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter