Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know the inspiration behind having Tom Sawyer Island at MK. I wonder if it is to tie into Walt Disney's Missouri roots and to pay tribute to Mark Twain. That could be a reason for keeping it the way it is.
Without the island there is no river for the river boat.

I don’t think Jungle Book or Lion King thematically fits in that area. If those properties came to MK I would think Adventureland would be best suited.

True, but the idea of the frontier can be expanded beyond "the west".

Does anyone know the inspiration behind having Tom Sawyer Island at MK. I wonder if it is to tie into Walt Disney's Missouri roots and to pay tribute to Mark Twain. That could be a reason for keeping it the way it is.

I always thought it was because of this movie:

MV5BMTY5Mjg0NjE5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTMwODAzMQ%40%40._V1_SY317_CR1,0,214,317_.jpg

Until I realized it was MGM, and only back in '73. We had it on a VHS tape with two other Disney movies and I just threw Tom Sawyer into the memory banks as a Disney movie......

Thanks for all the info regarding how the hotel will work. I am curious about the land (Galaxys Edge) and maybe someone can help me out. Its going to be massive and I know it will have a restaurant, some shops and and such but will ALL those buildings be used or just for looks? There seems to be a good bit of and I am hoping they are all useful. It would be such a shame for you to be able to enter only 2 or 3.

Example: it looks like there is a bridge that goes over the main walkway which connects two buildings. Will this be utilized or just for show?

This

It's probably mixed in to when Walt was thinking about the St Louis project.
And this. Walt's source of inspiration was a fellow creative Missourian, Mark Twain or in actuality, Samuel Clemens.

Thanks for all the info regarding how the hotel will work. I am curious about the land (Galaxys Edge) and maybe someone can help me out. Its going to be massive and I know it will have a restaurant, some shops and and such but will ALL those buildings be used or just for looks? There seems to be a good bit of and I am hoping they are all useful. It would be such a shame for you to be able to enter only 2 or 3.

Example: it looks like there is a bridge that goes over the main walkway which connects two buildings. Will this be utilized or just for show?

So, most of the buildings will be occupied. There's two restaurants and several merchandise locations, but i think the bridge you are talking about is just for visual. How many elevated walkways exist at WDW? Very few, and none outdoors.

The thing that gets me about Galaxy's Edge is the SCALE of the place. Just look at this photo and focus on the red square a bit above the center of the photo:
https://www.disboards.com/attachments/98e6f174-e180-40b0-a5c9-9ca070917d17-jpeg.382663/
Now look at this photo and think compare that red building to the size of the cranes:
https://www.disboards.com/attachments/fea9562d-d325-444b-9076-a19d24e0ee1a-jpeg.382641/
Mind-boggling.

I agree - but I also keep looking at the amount of walkway space - which seems very small compared to the size of the land. I just can't wrap it around my head how they are going to handle the crowds for the first 6 months - 1 year. I keep thinking the only way is to hold people outside of the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!