Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a professional civil engineer with construction experience, and I would certainly hesitate to predict completion dates based on the imagery we see here. However, if you let me peek at the recent daily reports, I might hazard a guess...
This is what I suspected -- thanks!

And I would LOVE it if they gave you a peek and you reported back!! :)

This is what I suspected -- thanks!

And I would LOVE it if they gave you a peek and you reported back!! :)
Without additional information, I would continue to go by their scheduled completion date. Although we all like to joke about it, I don't think they would slip that unless absolutely necessary. The feature-specific news and rumors that @rteetz reports for us--such as the issues with Aliens--will likely be the first indication of potential delays.

Without additional information, I would continue to go by their scheduled completion date. Although we all like to joke about it, I don't think they would slip that unless absolutely necessary. The feature-specific news and rumors that @rteetz reports for us--such as the issues with Aliens--will likely be the first indication of potential delays.
Yep, and like I mentioned before I think they will make the date I would just be worried if you are expecting Pandora like previews.

Yep, and like I mentioned before I think they will make the date I would just be worried if you are expecting Pandora like previews.
I agree. The preview time available will depend on how much of their schedule float they use. Hopefully, they have quite a bit of float AND the contract provides incentives for earlier completion!

I can see it opening on time, but AS2 not opening on 6/30 due to the roof problems. That's the piece that is behind. With them moving the entrance to Midway Mania now, both that and SDD should be ready to go by 6/30.

They have started to finish the roof, so I am assuming that problem has been resolved.

Plus the Hogwarts Express connects both inside each land so that works well also. Well kinda-it is in England on one end like you say.

As an aside, in an alternative universe thought, if Disney and Rowling had come to an agreement, imagine the idea of a Diagon Alley type of section in the United Kingdom area of EPCOT WS, with a Hogwarts Express type of attraction leading to somewhere else... maybe a dedicated land or place in DHS?

Of course, one wonders that even had this happened, whether Disney would have come up or spent the money to create something like Forbidden Journey or Escape from Gringotts (or Pandora, Galaxy's Edge, etc.) if they had not received the competitive push that actually happened.

Disney is still being Disney, which means they are sticking to their story, until they aren’t.

Which means, I received another promotional email advertising TSL opening June 30th. So they’re doubling down on their own time frame by keeping up their marketing campaign.

Disney is still being Disney, which means they are sticking to their story, until they aren’t.

Which means, I received another promotional email advertising TSL opening June 30th. So they’re doubling down on their own time frame by keeping up their marketing campaign.
Again... doesn't appear to be much of a basis to conclude from the outside that their timeline has changed at all.... so why not advertise it?

Of course, one wonders that even had this happened, whether Disney would have come up or spent the money to create something like Forbidden Journey or Escape from Gringotts (or Pandora, Galaxy's Edge, etc.) if they had not received the competitive push that actually happened.

Oh I completely agree I think we as consumers are better off for Universal getting Harry Potter.

Even though I think they are behind where they should be, I have no doubt they will get it open by June 30th. I just don't think there's going to be a lot of time for public (AP/DVC) previews. I could see a week perhaps, but it won't be like Pandora where they were doing CM previews, then DVC previews, then AP previews for like a month.

Oh I completely agree I think we as consumers are better off for Universal getting Harry Potter.

Even though I think they are behind where they should be, I have no doubt they will get it open by June 30th. I just don't think there's going to be a lot of time for public (AP/DVC) previews. I could see a week perhaps, but it won't be like Pandora where they were doing CM previews, then DVC previews, then AP previews for like a month.

I envision, if there are previews, it'll be 2 days CM, 1 day Press, 2 Days DVC/AP, and then open.

We need to keep in mind that Toy Story land is a far less complex project than Avatar. You don't have nearly the stonework, or artificial plant work than Pandora. I'm sure one of its selling points to management was that it would be a quick project to help eat up the crowds in a park that really needed it. Slinky Dog looks ready externally. I'm sure they are waiting on the green work for the rest of the land for once the heavy equipment is out. That landscaping will make a world of difference, and it will happen quickly.

Note: my tracking of construction progress for various Disney projects is very limited, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

Given that; construction isn't a new business for Disney, it isn't their first time at the rodeo. I would think that unless something catastrophic happens, the schedule is the schedule.
i.e I have faith they know what they are doing.

I suspect TSL will prob be done on time. Unless there are major ride issues on the alien ride the rest of the work is superficial. Stuff like painting, laying down landscaping and even laying blacktop can all be done in a few days, even at night if Disney requires it, since there are no resorts around HS they dont have to worry about the sounds and hours of operation like they do on some of the other projects. If things do get delayed another shift could always be brought in to help speed up the work. There is still over 60 days left of completion, Disney normally likes to do at least 2 weeks of previews if at all possible, so if by this time next month we dont see much improvement then, I would start to speculate about them missing deadlines

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!