After a 9+ year hiatus we're going back in Mar 2020

Butch50

Dubious Character
After making 9 trips to WDW from Sep 1995 to Dec 2010, we've taken 9 years off when the kids' activities didn't allow for proper planning and execution of a WDW trip.

That changed when our daughter announced to us last week that she wants to go back with us and a friend for her senior trip during spring break. For the last week, I've been back in planning mode. I found my old planning spreadsheets, made reservations at Shades of Green (we're fortunate enough to qualify to stay there) and made a few ADRs - I was stunned that I was able to get one for CRT. (The last time we ate there was back in the days were everyone woke early and started making phone calls to 407-WDW-DINE hoping to get a reservation.😂) In addition to our trip, my son and his fiance are planning to spend their honeymoon at WDW in May 2020, so I'll probably be helping them plan that trip too.

We have a while to plan for our FastPass reservations, but all this is new to me. I've seen where it's recommended that you use them in the middle of the day, that's my tentative plan.

Since it's been 9 years since we were there, I'd love to know the ONE THING you'd recommend we do that wasn't in one of the parks back in 2010.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
The one thing I'd recommend is to book FP+ the day your window opens. When you book, book them in order of difficulty to get, not in chronological order. For example...

Day 67 - Flight of Passage
Day 66 - Slinky Dog Dash...

Put hard to get FP+ later in the trip (as above).

I write out each day which FP+ we want and then make a list of the order in which I want to book them. We book our FP+ for the morning so we can pull more throughout the day after we use our first 3.

Hope that helps!

Totally agree with above strategy. Also, I would book a fireworks dessert party for at least MK because spring break crowds are insane. And you’ll want a good seat for that without having to stake it out for 1+ hours.

For things you need to see that weren't there in 2010:

Pandora in Animal Kingdom, it's stunning. I don't even like Avatar
I haven't been post Galaxy's Edge or TSL, so no comment there.
While I miss pleasure island, I love Jock Lindsay's Hangar Bar at Disney Springs. (not technically the parks, but part of the experience)

ONE thing? That's a tough one.

Since 2010, four new lands have opened:
New Fantasyland in MK
Pandora in AK
Toy Story Land in Hollywood Studios
Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge in Hollywood Studios

All the nighttime fireworks have changed. Illuminations: Reflections of Earth ended it's run at the end of September.

Many, many, many new restaurants and lounges have been added. The aforementioned Jock Lindsey's Hanger Bar in Disney Springs is a fantastic place (particularly if you're an Indiana Jones fan).

Flights of Passage in Pandora is generally considered the best ride at the moment, and should not be missed. By the time you go, though, Rise of the Resistance in SW:GE will have opened, and all indications are that it will immediately take over that "best ride" spot.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Last edited:
IMO Pandora is still the most amazing addition to WDW even after TSL and SGE were built.

Schedule your Pandora visit at night and the end of your park day. Its most beautiful then. If you can't get a FOP FP dont worry. Get one for Navi and then line up for FOP closer to park closing.

I personally recommend grabbing a PPO for BOG so you can eat there and then ride 7DMT twice without a FP. :) This would allow you to see inside the castle as well as get on 7DMT before the rest of the crowds. If you booked it another time - no worries. Make sure you don't book it on a day with EMM.

Definitely read up on day-of Fastpass making, and see the new lands at night even if you see them during the day as well (I'm referring to Pandora and Toy-Story Land, as I've not made it to Galaxy's Edge yet).

Pandora, Toy Story Land, and Galaxy's Edge are new lands.

I would read up on Fastpass strategies (including scoring good FPs, day-of FPs, etc.) Grabbing a good set of FPs and continuing to grab them throughout the day can make or break a trip! (unless you like waiting in lines)

I'd suggest MouseHacking for a blog heavily focused on Disney strategy.

There are too many changes for just one suggestion! BUT-have a touring plan is always your best bet. Get the MDE app is a must, and I also recommend Touring Plans for letting you know a decent estimate of wait times on the day of your visit. So study up on all the rides (YouTube} and the lay of the lands well before you go, know what you want to see and the best plan to cut down on walking.

See Pandora at night. See Toy Story Land at night. See Galaxy's Edge at night. Yes, get fast passes ASAP -currently hardest to get is Slinky Dog Dash, then Flight of Passage, then Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

If you can't get SDD or FOP until after dark, don't be too bummed because those lands are so much better at night. The big negative is it will keep you from making additional fast passes until you use your three originals for that day, but if you rope drop all the other big ones it is manageable and better than having to wait, especially for FOP and SDD.
When we were there in September, and from looking at wait times since, the Smuggler's Run ride in Galaxy's Edge has less of a wait time later in the day anyway. You will probably need to rope drop Rise of the Resistance since it is so new.

But you will have a WONDERFUL time! Enjoy your time with your daughter! How wonderful she wants to spend her last HS spring break with you!

There wasn't Early Morning Magic (EMM) at MK in 2010. Great thread here explains it all. https://www.disboards.com/threads/mk-fantasyland-“early-morning-magic”-emm-faq-discussion.3713783/

It is available as a paid event on several mornings in March. See if there are enough rides that appeal to your group but for us it's such a time saver and FP saver. We can get so much done in 75 minutes before other guests are in the park. The event includes breakfast. Then we can begin FP around 10:00 for rides that are not a part of EMM.

One thing - FP for Flight of Passage. It's one of the toughest to get and one of the best rides.

Agree with others: Pandora is amazing, Toy Story Land is charming. See both once at night, in addition to day.

FP: I know some people book later in the day or for their second park and use rope-drop strategies for their mornings, but many people recommend booking your first three early as possible, then using them and refreshing MDE for day of FPs, which we do and think works GREAT!

Lots of new restaurants and shops in Disney Springs. Give yourself time to wander through the new areas in Magic Kingdom in addition to the new lands.

Frozen Ever After is more fun than you expect. Flight of Passage is not overrated. Slinky Dog Dash and Seven Dwarfs Mine Cart are both great fun. For all four, though, get FPs or rope drop or get in line in the last five - ten minutes. The lines get crazy!

If you're okay with hard-ticketed events, Disney After Hours (DAH) is an amazing way to enjoy your favorite park.

ETA: the line for FEA has lessened, I know, but it's a short, simple ride, and as adults with no young Frozen fans in tow, DH and I think any substantial wait is a stretch.

If your daughter and her friend grew up with Toy Story you must visit the new land and get on SDD. Try seeing the land at night. I really enjoyed the vibe it gave off with all the lights. Enjoy being back in planning mode!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter