After hours - $149 for EMH?

Actually, I wish every park was open through the night for an extra cost, even with slightly limited attractions.

Or maybe even sell a "night only" ticket that is good from 10PM to 4AM.

Its really the only option left for the "walk on" fans IMO, esp 7DMT, Space, Pan, BTMRR, Soarin, TT, Frozen, TSM, RNR, TOT, Sta Wars, Toy Story, EE, Avatar.

We would do at least "night only" ticket, I think. We're nightowls and rope raisers anyway, so, for us it would be a lot of fun.

WHERE IS THE LIE
tumblr_mvna5wwwDf1rgpjrpo4_500.gif

Better preach.

WHO IS THIS BEAUTIFUL MAN

And reduction in hours in the long term for those that only purchase the already expensive normal operating cost ticket. Mark my words, normal operating hours will be cut if after hours is successful

This is my concern as well, CND79.

If they offered the 3-4 hours with low crowds, (defined number) and access to all the major attractions, AND charged say.. $60 I would
be interested in park magic without crowds. Price is just too steep with not enough for your money. If you want time without people, stay for the kiss goodnight then wander a bit..they dont rush you to the front. (this of course doesnt include rides)
I think that's the point. At $60 too many would do it. I think $150 is perfect. $125 would have been better though lol

To the people saying 5 hours isn't enough-

Have you ever been to a theme park at an extremely low crowd time?
You can totally do MK in 5 hours with no waits.

Less time but it's more efficient time. So it equals out..or in my mind- is better.
Hi Kimberly,

Agree with almost everything. Insofar as I have feelings about the Extra Late Hours, my main concern is that they are coming at the expense of the EMH that are currently "free" (note the quotes) to guests staying on-property. I can't help but think these late-hour "parties" are meant to test the waters in regard to gradually eliminating resort EMHs.
I only used EMH once during our trip.. Night time MK...and I did enjoy it.. But stayed away from all other EMH parks due to crowd calenders I had seen.
I don't think this is the end of EMH, I think it's a way to disperse crowds and gain extra revenue.

Profit is not a dirty word. And I don't know why so many think that WDW shouldn't make a profit.. I think there's a want for these hours..and a market for it. Perfectly fine for a company to capitalize on that.

Last edited:

I only used EMH once during our trip.. Night time MK...and I did enjoy it.. But stayed away from all other EMH parks due to crowd calanders I had seen.
I don't think this is the end of EMH, I think it's a way to disperse crowds and gain extra revenue.

We always do use EMH, though, so for them to go away would for us be a loss and a disappointment.

Profit is not a dirty word. And I don't know why so many think that WDW shouldn't make a profit.. I think there's a want for these hours..and a market for it. Perfectly fine for a company to capitalize on that.

Not making that argument here. :-)

We always do use EMH, though, so for them to go away would for us be a loss and a disappointment.

Not making that argument here. :-)
Oh I agree that the option of EMH is a nice perk..and that some families utilize it more than others.. It's one more small way that we can "justify" our ridiculous resort room costs lol..at least it helped me do that.

But for the 8 nights I was there in September, MK nighttime EMH was offered once? Maybe twice at the most..can't remember. So this event isn't cutting in to that at all. There's time for both.

According to the numbers being reported, I would highly disagree. But I think most get the idea they want to make a profit. The issue people are having is an accumulative effect. If this happened on it's own, I don't think people would freak out other than to laugh at the insane price. But with as much as has been cut while prices have been increased, people see this as the tip of the iceberg. Maybe people are reading too much into it, but EMHs have decreased significantly since I first remember having them. Tickets have been raise astronomically. Hours have been dropped at the parks. Cast members are being stretched. And lets keep in mind this is all while the park is setting record profits. People held Disney up as the last major company that wasn't purely about profits. They saw Disney as an expensive vacation (and understood they made money), but felt the parks offered so much more and truly cared about the customers. They are watching that ideal be crushed before their eyes, and that is putting every Disney move under a microscope.

According to the numbers being reported, I would highly disagree. But I think most get the idea they want to make a profit. The issue people are having is an accumulative effect. If this happened on it's own, I don't think people would freak out other than to laugh at the insane price. But with as much as has been cut while prices have been increased, people see this as the tip of the iceberg. Maybe people are reading too much into it, but EMHs have decreased significantly since I first remember having them. Tickets have been raise astronomically. Hours have been dropped at the parks. Cast members are being stretched. And lets keep in mind this is all while the park is setting record profits. People held Disney up as the last major company that wasn't purely about profits. They saw Disney as an expensive vacation (and understood they made money), but felt the parks offered so much more and truly cared about the customers. They are watching that ideal be crushed before their eyes, and that is putting every Disney move under a microscope.

To put things in perspective, when my wife and I started going to WDW together in 2008, a one day ticket cost as much as $75, 8 years later its now as much as $124.

Keep in mind, a portion of that time frame took place during one of the worst economic depressions in this country's history.

Last edited:
To put things in perspective, when my wife and I started going to WDW together in 2008, a one day ticket cost as much as $75, 8 years later its now as much as $124.

Keep in mind, a portion of that time frame took place during one of the worst economic depressions in this country's history.
I think that may be one of the things skewing people's perspectives. 8 years ago cars were cheap, houses were cheap, anything retail was on sale. We were in an economic crisis. The country has recovered, housing markets, automobile market, etc etc have all bounced back..or on the way up at least. It was a strange time..and not a good benchmark for comparison.

I think that may be one of the things skewing people's perspectives. 8 years ago cars were cheap, houses were cheap, anything retail was on sale. We were in an economic crisis. The country has recovered, housing markets, automobile market, etc etc have all bounced back..or on the way up at least. It was a strange time..and not a good benchmark for comparison.

Um, no, disney did offer discounts and promos during the down turn, good ones at that, but they did NOT drop the list price of their ticket prices. How about I go back to 2004, well before the economic depression when ticket prices were $54.75 for a one day.

http://allears.net/tix/tixpix00.htm

Ticket prices are pacing well above inflation.

Um, no, disney did offer discounts and promos during the down turn, good ones at that, but they did NOT drop the list price of their ticket prices. How about I go back to 2004, well before the economic depression when ticket prices were $54.75 for a one day.

http://allears.net/tix/tixpix00.htm

Ticket prices are pacing well above inflation.
I'm using the last of my non expiring hoppers this year...So I definitely know that prices have gone up..

Everything is going up in price. We can accept it, or complain about it. That's all I'm pointing out.

Last edited:
I'm using the last of my non expiring hoppers this year...So I definitely know that prices have gone up..

The only reason I'm ok with prices going higher- maybe it will limit attendance. The parks are more crowded than they have ever been...from what I've seen anyway. If you make it a little 'less affordable' it may lead to a few less people there.

I hate that, limit attendance. Hate hate hate that. My kids are lucky, they've been to disney twice already and they are only 3 and 4, I just hate the idea of raising the prices so that its harder for some to go, simply so others won't have to deal with the crowds. That's a capacity issue, and that's no one's fault but Disney's. They have 3 parks that have no where near the attractions that MK does.

The problem with attendance can be solved without keeping the rift raft out.

I've said this on the Strategies board, but I don't think this is about EMH at all. I think it's about the extended basic hours. Those don't add revenue beyond ancillary sales, and from the anecdotes I've read, they aren't heavily attended once the night gets late. But with this program, Disney gets to monetize these hours, and having people pay for them makes it more likely they'll be used. Plus it gets potential park visitors out of the park during the peak times of mid morning to mid afternoon.

I don't think there's much cost -- I think it probably breaks even at 300 attendees -- and once it gets publicized, i think it gets to 3000-8000 pretty quick, especially during the summer. I think they might want to figure out a trade-off with it taking the place of a day on a multi-day, but I'm not sure they need to. I'd pay it for a night with 3 FPs until 10, and then a deserted park until 1.

The cost to visitors is, of course, the basic extended hours they've enjoyed for years. But if they're in the mode of cutting costs -- for whatever reason -- then losing those non-revenue late nights would be an easy cut. But if they can do it while increasing revenue -- and also without losing CM hours and therefore having unemployment costs -- it seems like a no brainer to me.

I don't think there's much cost -- I think it probably breaks even at 300 attendees -- and once it gets publicized, i think it gets to 3000-8000 pretty quick, especially during the summer.

I think that's actually a large concern with the after hours event as well (not just about EMH) if it gets too busy then it becomes just another hard-ticket party but with a much higher price tag which could end up with raising the prices of the current hard ticket parties.

The early reports show low attendance...and too low given how many DVC members got free invites and while Disney is going to rely on word of mouth testimony to garner more attention towards the event there is a fine line between gaining the needed attendance to make the event monetarily worth it to Disney and keeping the attendance low enough to please those willing to spend that much money who from what I would assume a main goal is to experience Disney without the larger crowds which allows for little to no wait on rides and ability to freely walk around.

I think...but I'm not sure that reading other posts the cap was 1,000 people. If you capped it at 3,000 that spread out over the whole park may not be a deal breaker but if you have 8,000 you really do start adding a good amount onto the ride waits and added congestion to the park.

I think the sweet spot for this is 10,000 -- if they capped it there, it would be fine and worthwhile for most people doing it. You'd have 10 minute waits for anything with a wait.

The theory I've seen is they cap the parties at 25, which is still half the average daily attendance. So at 10, I think you'd get the full park experience. Not having cars to yourself, but very tiny waits.

I also think if they marketed it, they'd have little problem selling at least 3000 in the summer, and at 3000, the experience wouldn't be much different than what they saw the fist two nights.

I remember when EMH was a paid for event for on site guests only. Went to every one offered while I was there.
I was and still am an annual passholder. $149 is a little steep for me and I've already paid for the first 3 or 4 hours being offered with my annual pass.
If they were to offer a modified version of this for on-site guests or passholders they can count on me to do it. I would pay $50 or $60 for the 3 hours of EMH that would be available to me after my ability to be in the park because of my ticket media expired.
Probably not every one, but enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!